Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Focus ST, bone stock. Just hit 8,000 miles. I have noticed this particular issue since 2,000 miles. I will say, i have only noticed it on days where the temp is above 40 degrees. So here is the issue. Sometimes when i give the car gas it bucks a little, and sputters. There is no active codes, and no CEL. I have taken it to Ford, and they were not able to replicate the issue. They thought it could be a throttle body recall, but did not find anything. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Have them check the plugs, or check them your self, check plug gap and for fouling.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Bad coil wire?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Two questions:
What is the typical rpm when you step on the gas?
And how big a push with the foot on the gas pedal?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Sounds like lspi. Be careful and make sure you are in the proper gear and rpm before you push the car. I never step on it unless I am at 3,000 rpm or greater. If your rpms are too low, downshift.

Now, if it sputtered at higher rpms, I would be more worried about maybe a bad coil or other mechanical problem like the other answers stated.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Dont push-down to hard on the gas pedal in low RPM's, if you find it does sputter take your foot off the pedal and slowly reapply pressure the car should pick back up.
My car does this as well if i'm too darn low in my RPM's while I apply too much fuel
However if you are sputtering in ANY amount of RPM, take it to the dealer and do a Diag.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had something similar going on with my ST, after checking everything from air leaks, fuel pump pressure to ignition coils and spark plug gap, I decided to give my tuner a call and they sudgested to gap the plugs even tighter, (I had mine at 0.028 and still sputter under load) after tweaking it I settled for 0.024 and it’s been awesome since
Hope it helps.

Reactions: SmurfinST

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
All the way to red line?! I agree with unfitproduct then, take it to the dealer. Your bone stock and the car is practically brand new, no excuse for it to drive like this.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SmurfinST

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
If they can't "replicate the issue" put a tech in your car and replicate it for him. Don't beat on the car...or else he can get you for abusing the car probably (which is BS because it's a performance car) but just throw him in the car and say "okay now say I had to speed up quickly to avoid getting rear ended with my family in the car...watch what happens" and demonstrate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts