Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if this happens to anyone [sorry if I missed the discussion].

Sometimes I hold the button down and both orange lights come on the dash and almost instantly go out.

Here is an example of when this happens.

I will be driving the car and as soon as it warms up I will push the button and engage sport mode. I will get to my destination shut the car off. Run into the store for 5 minutes. Come back out to the car, pull out onto the road and try to engage sport mode and the above happens. It turns on then just instantly shuts off. This happens maybe 10-20% of the time. The other 80-90% its fine.

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Checking to see if this happens to anyone [sorry if I missed the discussion].

Sometimes I hold the button down and both orange lights come on the dash and almost instantly go out.

Here is an example of when this happens.

I will be driving the car and as soon as it warms up I will push the button and engage sport mode. I will get to my destination shut the car off. Run into the store for 5 minutes. Come back out to the car, pull out onto the road and try to engage sport mode and the above happens. It turns on then just instantly shuts off. This happens maybe 10-20% of the time. The other 80-90% its fine.

Anyone?
I have NO idea if this would be related, but try resetting your KAM. Unplug your negative battery cable for like 15 or so minutes I believe to do it

·
Registered
506 Posts
I turn mine off before i even start moving. But one time i forgot and i tried turning it off on the highway and for some reason it wasn't responding when i hit the button. I got where i was going and sut off the car when i went to leave later it turned off like normal. It only did this once but maybe there is a lockout under certain circumstances? IDK i thought my button was broken and i was getting pissed lol :furious:

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you hold the button too long it goes back to normal mode and disables access to sport mode until you shut off the car and restart it. This is the only info I can offer.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
163 Posts
Never happened to me, but I did notice on my drive home yesterday, I had sport mode engaged for a while, and then I looked down and the light on the dash was off. Weird.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you hold the button too long it goes back to normal mode and disables access to sport mode until you shut off the car and restart it. This is the only info I can offer.
This is what I thought it was at first but now I am super aware of how long to hold the button to make sure it isnt me.

And to someone elses point I have had the issue, pulled the car over turned it off restarted it and could then engage sport mode.

·
Registered
768 Posts
OK, maybe a dumb question, but why? On the average day driving, why swap it to sport mode? Yes, I know 'technically' what it does to the car, but unlike some other cars, ours doesn't change the ride/handling of the suspension, doesn't change the shift points or characteristics of the transmission (obviously), and it doesn't change the mapping or tune of the engine. So on any given normal day or even spirited day of driving, I'm struggling to understand why even touch that button if you're driving on the street? What are you guys gaining by using this mode? Or have I missed something?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
OK, maybe a dumb question, but why? On the average day driving, why swap it to sport mode? Yes, I know 'technically' what it does to the car, but unlike some other cars, ours doesn't change the ride/handling of the suspension, doesn't change the shift points or characteristics of the transmission (obviously), and it doesn't change the mapping or tune of the engine. So on any given normal day or even spirited day of driving, I'm struggling to understand why even touch that button if you're driving on the street? What are you guys gaining by using this mode? Or have I missed something?
Well for starts stock traction control is garbage. And it eats your brakes. So, I turn mine off daily and use the Cobb/Stratified Traction control instead. Aside from that, there isn't any other purpose because the ONLY thing Sport mode does it disable traction control.

Edit: Some turn it off because they don't want traction control at all also. Bad weather conditions like snow/ice it's better to have it off to avoid getting stuck at times by allowing for wheel spin.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Why not just keep one thread in this place relevant to the OPs post?

·
Registered
558 Posts
To get into Sport mode on my 2016 I just hit the button, no holding needed. If you want Track mode then you have to hold the button.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You must have missed it, that button adds two extra levels of fun. TC on = fun, 1 push = fun, fun, push and hold = fun, fun, fun (not for the timid lol). :crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Well for starts stock traction control is garbage. And it eats your brakes. So, I turn mine off daily and use the Cobb/Stratified Traction control instead. Aside from that, there isn't any other purpose because the ONLY thing Sport mode does it disable traction control.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought "Sport Mode" still kept some of the stability controls, and "Track Mode" turned it all off?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought "Sport Mode" still kept some of the stability controls, and "Track Mode" turned it all off?
You are correct. It allows more tire spin and lessens the nannies that stop you from wrecking, allows more sliding without the Stability Control kicking in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You are correct. It allows more tire spin and lessens the nannies that stop you from wrecking, allows more sliding without the Stability Control kicking in.
Pressing the button turns off traction control. Pressing and holding the button turns off traction control and electronic stability control. That's it. Don't over think it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Pressing the button turns off traction control. Pressing and holding the button turns off traction control and electronic stability control. That's it. Don't over think it.
It does lessen ESC and allows more wheel spin like I said. The ESC is less sensitive when in Sport Mode. Not as active as in normal mode.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
It does lessen ESC and allows more wheel spin like I said. The ESC is less sensitive when in Sport Mode. Not as active as in normal mode.
As was said twice now...it allows COMPLETE wheel spin...doesn't "allow more" it 100% turns off traction control and will smoke the tires if you want it to. It doesn't touch ESC at all. That is still 100% enabled unless you press and hold the button and disable it. If you autocross and put it in sport mode and you lift a tire ESC will still kick in and potentially throw you off course. @BetaDnB confirmed what I said.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW the button has always been a little sensitive...

If I just tap it, it goes into Sport Mode reliably.

If I press it and quickly release it --- however momentarily, it often does nothing.

If I press and hold it, it eventually goes into Track Mode.

So, I'm a Sport Mode tapper...

Hope that helps,
Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts