Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Speedometer/power steering failure 2016 ST3

19K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Quinnc10 
#1 ·
This morning during my commute (light drizzle but roads are covered in winter grime) I stopped and parked the car. 3 minutes later I came out and started the car and continued my journey but the traction control light, ABS light were on and my power steering had failed and my speedo was at 0. The wheel felt really heavy like the old school cars. The car stayed like that for a couple minutes and then fixed itself. Two minutes later it happened again. I decided to pull over and power cycle the car but it took 4 button presses before it shut off and on the last press I had to hold it down for a few seconds. Started the car again and the lights and feel were still bad but a second power cycle seemed to shut the lights off and return the steering to normal.

Could this just be a build up of winter road good on the wheel sensors causing problems that a good washing wouldn't fix or has anyone else had these issues. I'm fully bolted and have been for over 15,000 KM with no issues but I just don't want the dealer to deny warrenty over a steering issue cause of bolts on and bend me over if it's a simple fix.
Any help is appreciated

#2 ·
I can't imagine your power steering would fail because of dirty sensors. Also, if 1 sensor stopped reading correctly I don't think your speedo would stop working, but I could be wrong. But dirty sensors could definitely cause the ABS and traction control lights to come on.

If I'm remembering correctly, the wheel sensors are easy to get to with the tires off. Give them a good clean and see what happens.

But yeah, don't expect to have warranty cover it if there's a real issue if you're heavily mod'd.

#3 ·
The only way to connect the speed sensor / power steering dots in my mind was this: If the ECU is getting no signal from the speed sensor it cant possibly know how much assist to give when steering. Maybe the current wheel stiffness is a default assist level. Again, this is all speculation on my parts but it kind of makes sense.

#4 ·
Somewhere a connector is loose.
On my 2014 one day like instant magic the speedo stopped and most of the dash lights failed.
The car still ran.
I took it to the dealer and the solution was a loose connector UNDER THE PASSENGER SEAT.

So IMO your problem is electrical gremlin 'somewhere'' and where could actually BE anywhere...

Under warranty take it in.

#6 ·
Same thing happened to me at around 90,000 miles. First time it happened I had the same issues but it stayed like that until the speed sensor was fixed. Then a month later the same thing happened, except that it would come off and on throughout my commute. The dealer told me that it was the speed sensor on the other side of the front wheel causing the issue the second time. Since the second speed sensor was fixed the problem has not come back.

I am stock and have driven the car in several winters. I do not think that the dirt from the roads would have caused the issue.

#7 ·
Bolt-ons wont fail you for warranty on your power steering, unless you modified the suspension. Then they can claim excessive stress on the pump. Bolt-ons will only fail you for engine issues, if it can be proven that the mod is the root cause of the problem, its the law.

#9 ·
I have a 2013 and Ive been having this problem recently. I took it in to the shop last week cause a hose had blown off due to a loose clamp and the engine mount had deteriorated. I told them about the issue and I have a brother in law that has seen this issue and told us its the wheel speed sensor. but low and behold they didn't listen to me and when I got the car back and turned it on it had the problem instantly, the guy told us. "it just has to recalibrate." recalibrate my ass. we are taking it back in and if they don't listen to me I'm never taking any of my cars back to that dealer. I hope all of you have your cars all fixed and running well, i know its been 3 years but still.

#11 ·
Hi I was reading your post did you go back and find out or fix it? I currently am having this issue and I have thought it has to be a wheel sensor! It happened out of nowhere yesterday driving down the highway in traffic the ABS light and Traction control light came on and speed was at 0 it was maybe 10 minutes later I have no power steering and still don’t! I have a 2013 Focus Hatch all stock manual trans.

#10 ·
Had this issue when the driver's side wheel speed sensor connector came loose. Plugged it back in fully and haven't had any more issues with it.

But yeah... a bit freaky when the dash goes nuts and you lose power steering.

#12 ·
This morning during my commute (light drizzle but roads are covered in winter grime) I stopped and parked the car. 3 minutes later I came out and started the car and continued my journey but the traction control light, ABS light were on and my power steering had failed and my speedo was at 0. The wheel felt really heavy like the old school cars. The car stayed like that for a couple minutes and then fixed itself. Two minutes later it happened again. I decided to pull over and power cycle the car but it took 4 button presses before it shut off and on the last press I had to hold it down for a few seconds. Started the car again and the lights and feel were still bad but a second power cycle seemed to shut the lights off and return the steering to normal.

Could this just be a build up of winter road good on the wheel sensors causing problems that a good washing wouldn't fix or has anyone else had these issues. I'm fully bolted and have been for over 15,000 KM with no issues but I just don't want the dealer to deny warrenty over a steering issue cause of bolts on and bend me over if it's a simple fix.
Any help is appreciated
This just occurred to me, my car has 150k on it have you figured out what it was, my traction control light also was on same issue with steering and having to push the strat stop to shut it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.