Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Which Style Fuel System Would You Like To See?

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

as you know the Ecoboost injectors/fuel system is one of the largest limiting factors for making power on this platform at the current time. There are some small injector upgrade options available but these will only take you so far. This is nothing new to us as we suffered the same problems in the MZR community as well. We knew we had to develop something for the EcoBoost to help combat this same problem and we are just starting to make some head way on this project. We will be working with @ST3 4 ME in testing this new fuel system using his GTX3076 on the stock block. This post is just to give you an update of whats coming in the future. We still have no ETA for this project or price point as of yet but we are working very hard to see this come to light. More updates will be posted as progress continues.

If you're not familiar with what we offer for the MZR here are a few links to our current kits to give you an idea of what this kit will include. Please dont take the prices of these kits as indicative of what we will be offering for you guys as we expect it to be much lower.

SPEED PERF6RMANC3 Secondary Injection Fuel Kit For Mazda MZR-DISI - SPEED PERF6RMANC3

SPEED PERF6RMANC3 Port Injection Fuel Kit For Mazda MZR-DISI - SPEED PERF6RMANC3

Here is our first rendering of the PI fuel rail/spacer we have developed for the Focus ST.

Auto part

Line Technology Parallel Electronic device

It will be designed to bolt directly between the head and intake manifold. We have not decided yet whether we would do an in-tank fuel pump upgrade or connect this system to an aux fuel cell in the trunk (much like a meth tank setup). If you guys would prefer one way or the other just respond to the poll.

The in-tank upgrade would require you to drop the fuel tank since there is no access hole under the back seat but it would also let you run this fuel system using gas straight from the tank so you would never have to worry about the fuel cell going empty. This would be a much cheaper option, but again would require a pretty involved install. Using an aux fuel cell would simplify the install but drive the cost up at the same time. There are pro's and con's to each direction and we are considering all options at this point but would like to hear some feedback from you guys.

· Registered
5,568 Posts
Hey guys,

as you know the Ecoboost injectors/fuel system is one of the largest limiting factors for making power on this platform at the current time. There are some small injector upgrade options available but these will only take you so far. This is nothing new to us as we suffered the same problems in the MZR community as well. We knew we had to develop something for the EcoBoost to help combat this same problem and we are just starting to make some head way on this project. We will be working with @ST3 4 ME in testing this new fuel system using his GTX3076 on the stock block. This post is just to give you an update of whats coming in the future. We still have no ETA for this project or price point as of yet but we are working very hard to see this come to light. More updates will be posted as progress continues.

If you're not familiar with what we offer for the MZR here are a few links to our current kits to give you an idea of what this kit will include. Please dont take the prices of these kits as indicative of what we will be offering for you guys as we expect it to be much lower.

SPEED PERF6RMANC3 Secondary Injection Fuel Kit For Mazda MZR-DISI - SPEED PERF6RMANC3

SPEED PERF6RMANC3 Port Injection Fuel Kit For Mazda MZR-DISI - SPEED PERF6RMANC3

Here is our first rendering of the PI fuel rail/spacer we have developed for the Focus ST.

View attachment 77700

View attachment 77701

It will be designed to bolt directly between the head and intake manifold. We have not decided yet whether we would do an in-tank fuel pump upgrade or connect this system to an aux fuel cell in the trunk (much like a meth tank setup). If you guys would prefer one way or the other just respond to the poll.

The in-tank upgrade would require you to drop the fuel tank since there is no access hole under the back seat but it would also let you run this fuel system using gas straight from the tank so you would never have to worry about the fuel cell going empty. This would be a much cheaper option, but again would require a pretty involved install. Using an aux fuel cell would simplify the install but drive the cost up at the same time. There are pro's and con's to each direction and we are considering all options at this point but would like to hear some feedback from you guys.
Been waiting for you guys to do this. I'll test mule for you. PM me a price.

· Premium Member
14,123 Posts
Would dropping the fuel tank involve dropping the rear axle? If so then id rather see the seperate fuel cell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using FocusSTorg
What rear axle? Are you talking about the rear cross member? If so that is super easy to drop. Swapped the rear cross member on my old focus by my self with Jack and Jack stands.

Sent from another galaxy.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Aw yes!

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Ohhhhh sheet sub'd. This will go nicely with my GTX lol

· Registered
2,596 Posts
My vote is for using the current tank. No need to add unnecessary weight to the car with a secondary fuel cell.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
My vote is for using the current tank. No need to add unnecessary weight to the car with a secondary fuel cell.
Plus fuel inside the cabin is a no no in a lot of places. Especially since the folding rear seat hardly forms a proper bulkhead to prevent issues in a crash plus fuel vapors and fire hazards in the car vs using the factory fuel tank.
Not to sound like a worry wort or any thing but I wouldn't want the fuel inside the cabin with me. I don't much like transporting even 1-5 gallons in an emergency to help another car because of the vapors and the risk of spilling.

1,975 Posts
So I see this is a port injection system, so does this mean the car will have independent fuel pressure from the hpfp? This is my first DI car so still learning stuff, I just want to know since our hpfp seems to be unable to really flow much more then we are already pushing.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
So I see this is a port injection system, so does this mean the car will have independent fuel pressure from the hpfp? This is my first DI car so still learning stuff, I just want to know since our hpfp seems to be unable to really flow much more then we are already pushing.
It already does as there is the low pressure in tank lift pump that feeds the direct injection high pressure fuel pump, you would need to upgrade this pump to be able to supply both systems. Port fuel injection is at much lower pressures.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I'll vote in the poll later on from my computer. But I would much rather have an in tank pump upgrade than having a fuel cell in my hatch area.

I've gone down that path before and it was a terrible thing to do. I regretted it for the entire 2 months It was there.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

· Registered
580 Posts
Sub'd

· Registered
2,499 Posts
I voted in tank as well. Already will have a meth tank in the back so I'd prefer to only have 1 tank as to not take up too much space for cargo. perks of getting that roof rack i guess @GotST? ;)

· Registered
580 Posts
I voted in tank as well. Already will have a meth tank in the back so I'd prefer to only have 1 tank as to not take up too much space for cargo. perks of getting that roof rack i guess @GotST? ;)
Yep plus some lol

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.