Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered from whoosh a set of smoked led tail lights.
Who else has the smoked tail lights?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
358 Posts
I think they would look really cool on my black ST. I read up on them about a year ago and it seemed there were a number of folks that had individual small LEDs start going out fairly soon, so I put that idea on the back burner. I think it was a different seller than whoosh tho. Plus I wanted a short shift arm and functional mods first.

I did get super bright 35W 860 lumens halogen bulbs for reverse lights in my stock housings. Seeing better in reverse was the most important thing for me.
That reminds me I have a bunch of extra bulbs I meant to put on eBay.

·
2,083 Posts
I think they would look really cool on my black ST. I read up on them about a year ago and it seemed there were a number of folks that had individual small LEDs start going out fairly soon, so I put that idea on the back burner. I think it was a different seller than whoosh tho. Plus I wanted a short shift arm and functional mods first.

I did get super bright 35W 860 lumens halogen bulbs for reverse lights in my stock housings. Seeing better in reverse was the most important thing for me.
That reminds me I have a bunch of extra bulbs I meant to put on eBay.
Have you re-inspected the sockets to see if they're melting, by chance? Of course that entirely depends on how much time you spend in reverse.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used to have a smoked set but then I traded for a black set which failed after a year. The brake light started dimming right after the year mark so I ditched em. Bought a set of quantitec sequential ones because a friend said they were supposed to be better quality and last longer. so far so good. hopefully yours last a long time and don't have issues after awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to have a smoked set but then I traded for a black set which failed after a year. The brake light started dimming right after the year mark so I ditched em. Bought a set of quantitec sequential ones because a friend said they were supposed to be better quality and last longer. so far so good. hopefully yours last a long time and don't have issues after awhile.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic/link of those do you?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
358 Posts
Have you re-inspected the sockets to see if they're melting, by chance? Of course that entirely depends on how much time you spend in reverse.
I don't reverse much, but probably should check them. I was going to put fresh turn bulbs in but haven't gotten then yet. I was careful to check the tightness in the socket.

I'm not worried. Did a similar mod in a Subaru before, replaced stock 21w reverse bulbs I think with mod 40w fog bulbs. No camera, had to see thru tint. :D

Edit
I did notice the standard brake light sockets were discoloring and tried to tighten them a bit. Have plain bulbs in them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry for divergence :giggle:

This was one of the things I read before I did the reverse bulb mod:
The 860 lumen bulb was hard to find and why I ordered a box full of them :giggle:

Another big reason I did it was I thought it would make my small black car more noticeable backing out of parking spots in an increasing ocean of SUVs 😁

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had the Spec-D smoked tail lights in my 2016 Kona blue for 3 years now, no problems yet.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
192 Posts
I’ll stick with the stock led lamps, they’ve been on the car since 2013, so I’m guessing they’re pretty reliable. 😁

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST (shadow black)
213 Posts
Just bought some smoked ones from whoosh great price and will like great on my shadow black ST. Those red stock ones are garbage just to much red I’m going for that all black look. But I always keep old parts so the next person can have it completely stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts