Ford Focus ST Forum banner
261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I understand your reasoning. I'm preparing to add a tune, and my concern is that whereas you'd normally replace or regap plugs on a tuned Direct Injection engine every 20,000 miles (or so I read), that I'll be half way to that milestone from the start. I'm not in a hurry and I figure I might as well take my time and do it before installing them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Time to change them??
In my honest opinion, they look pretty good Hoss! The browning up the ceramic insulator (something to do with oil particles) is normal and not going to affect the performance at all. The # of miles/km on them will be the bigger part of the question for such a decent looking plug.

What is the gap?
How many miles on them?

*If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it =D (Specifically relating to an ST, spark plugs seem to wear out of tolerance pretty quick!). Also, preventative maintenance is key to longevity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my honest opinion, they look pretty good Hoss! The browning up the ceramic insulator (something to do with oil particles) is normal and not going to affect the performance at all. The # of miles/km on them will be the bigger part of the question for such a decent looking plug.

What is the gap?
How many miles on them?

*If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it =D (Specifically relating to an ST, spark plugs seem to wear out of tolerance pretty quick!). Also, preventative maintenance is key to longevity.
Hey Joe,

These plugs have 54k Kms on them. What do you reckon is the life of these plugs?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, factory maintenance says way longer, but I had to change my 1st set of stock Ford spark plugs @ 30k for some random misfire issues & loss of power.

If they feel like the car is running well, then you very well might keep them for 100k miles and save $. If, on the other hand, the car seems to have lost some timing or aggressive 'attitude' during normal driving then it could be worth it to change them.

Are you running a tune on your car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, factory maintenance says way longer, but I had to change my 1st set of stock Ford spark plugs @ 30k for some random misfire issues & loss of power.

If they feel like the car is running well, then you very well might keep them for 100k miles and save $. If, on the other hand, the car seems to have lost some timing or aggressive 'attitude' during normal driving then it could be worth it to change them.

Are you running a tune on your car?
Looks like it doesn't have that kinda rowdy attitude for a while now. That's why I decided to check the plugs.

It's completely stock. Even the air filter is paper 😂

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Looks like it doesn't have that kinda rowdy attitude for a while now. That's why I decided to check the plugs.

It's completely stock. Even the air filter is paper 😂
54k Kms on non-ruthenium plugs — time to change.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Having trouble finding the NGK 96505 anywhere nearby. Anybody run the Motorcraft step colder iridium's? My dad swears by then, but I'm curious about experience in this car.

Reactions: W4R
261 - 268 of 268 Posts