Ford Focus ST Forum banner
261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Time to change them??
In my honest opinion, they look pretty good Hoss! The browning up the ceramic insulator (something to do with oil particles) is normal and not going to affect the performance at all. The # of miles/km on them will be the bigger part of the question for such a decent looking plug.

What is the gap?
How many miles on them?

*If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it =D (Specifically relating to an ST, spark plugs seem to wear out of tolerance pretty quick!). Also, preventative maintenance is key to longevity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my honest opinion, they look pretty good Hoss! The browning up the ceramic insulator (something to do with oil particles) is normal and not going to affect the performance at all. The # of miles/km on them will be the bigger part of the question for such a decent looking plug.

What is the gap?
How many miles on them?

*If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it =D (Specifically relating to an ST, spark plugs seem to wear out of tolerance pretty quick!). Also, preventative maintenance is key to longevity.
Hey Joe,

These plugs have 54k Kms on them. What do you reckon is the life of these plugs?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Well, factory maintenance says way longer, but I had to change my 1st set of stock Ford spark plugs @ 30k for some random misfire issues & loss of power.

If they feel like the car is running well, then you very well might keep them for 100k miles and save $. If, on the other hand, the car seems to have lost some timing or aggressive 'attitude' during normal driving then it could be worth it to change them.

Are you running a tune on your car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, factory maintenance says way longer, but I had to change my 1st set of stock Ford spark plugs @ 30k for some random misfire issues & loss of power.

If they feel like the car is running well, then you very well might keep them for 100k miles and save $. If, on the other hand, the car seems to have lost some timing or aggressive 'attitude' during normal driving then it could be worth it to change them.

Are you running a tune on your car?
Looks like it doesn't have that kinda rowdy attitude for a while now. That's why I decided to check the plugs.

It's completely stock. Even the air filter is paper 😂

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Looks like it doesn't have that kinda rowdy attitude for a while now. That's why I decided to check the plugs.

It's completely stock. Even the air filter is paper 😂
54k Kms on non-ruthenium plugs — time to change.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Having trouble finding the NGK 96505 anywhere nearby. Anybody run the Motorcraft step colder iridium's? My dad swears by then, but I'm curious about experience in this car.

Reactions: W4R

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
My dad’s 911 went in for routine maintenance, they swapped the plugs and after that, he was out enjoying a drive when the engine started to stumble. He took it back, on a test drive with the tech all kinds of warning messages popped up and the tech said it was misfiring. They gave pictures of what they said were faulty plugs to be shipped back to Porsche for analysis. Seems to me they just weren’t gapped lol, quick search on a 911 forum seemed to indicate shoulda been 0.7mm or 0.0276”.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
900 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hoping someone can guide me here as I'm relatively new to the Focus. I've recently swapped out my plugs for one step colder NGK's and since doing this my idle has appeared to have changed, not sure if there's a correlation but I'm thinking I may have gapped one or maybe more incorrectly (0.027), i used feeler gauges but I'm quite blind lol. Would having them not gapped uniformly cause a rough idle? It doesn't shudder but almost sounds like a burble/miss. Car has catback, CAI and Stage 1 OTS Cobb tune.
Accessport also states IGN Corr. of around -1.00/4.00 during WOT on about a half hour drive, again not sure if there's a correlation but would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
What octane fuel and which OTS Stage 1 tune (91/93)?
You can check the OAR in the monitors and it should be @ -1.00 after some time 'learning' once the tune is flashed to the ECU.

There is a tool in this thread: Mind the Gap: Inexpensive spark plug gapping tool. that should help you out some. Mind you, it is still possible to mess it up, but it's worth a shot if you have issues with precision eyesight. You can always feel the amount of pressure on the plug/electrode with the gapping tool or shims in there, then just tighten it accordingly. I have not broken one while using this tool, but it is entirely possible if you're not careful.

The plugs don't need to be absolutely perfect to operate 'normally', but one other thing to look at would be the EVAP system/Purge valve. The Purge (Valve): FUFF ([email protected]#% you ford fix) parts 1, 2...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you Smokin' Joe!! appreciate the response. I'm running the 93 tune, being in Australia there's access to "good" fuel in most stations. OAR is @ -1.
I'm going to pull the plugs again this weekend to check how they look after 2 weeks of driving on them but will now be going to pickup one of these tools today you've mentioned to check the gapping! I kind of just assumed as the burble/stutter started occurring after the change that they might be related but its probably in my head 😂. Will also check the Purge valve assembly while im at.
Thanks again for the info you've provided!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You're more than welcome on my end hoss. Thank the guy that posted both of the threads I referred you to, 😅

I ran one of these stock, but previous owner and dealership techs introduced a trillion issues... I never even had the chance to tune it! FF a few years and Ford announces the hatchback is dead in North America... F UUUUUUU!!! Bought a new '18 and have been treating it like I have dual personalities, LOL.

Reactions: Arkane

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all, I just wanted to hop in and give you guys a chuckle.
My 2013 ST2 has just clicked over 155K miles (not KM) on the original plugs.
It's running pretty great, except for the stupid CEL and rough idle caused by the evap valve.
I intend to address that myself shortly, since I've already had it back to Ford, and they claim there's "nothing wrong" with my car, and that the recall isn't required. I guess CELs with DTCs calling out fuel system vacuum issues just pop up on their own? lol

Anyway, I just ordered a set of the NGK 95605 from Rock Auto. I got the set of 4 for $39.54 with tax and shipping. Hard to beat! :)

·
Registered
2014 MK3 FoST MRX EFR Turbo Tangerine Scream (German Built)
346 Posts
Hi all, I just wanted to hop in and give you guys a chuckle.
My 2013 ST2 has just clicked over 155K miles (not KM) on the original plugs.
It's running pretty great, except for the stupid CEL and rough idle caused by the evap valve.
I intend to address that myself shortly, since I've already had it back to Ford, and they claim there's "nothing wrong" with my car, and that the recall isn't required. I guess CELs with DTCs calling out fuel system vacuum issues just pop up on their own? lol

Anyway, I just ordered a set of the NGK 95605 from Rock Auto. I got the set of 4 for $39.54 with tax and shipping. Hard to beat! :)
Tell me about it. My friends 2013 ST has now clocked 387K Kms (242K miles). He changed his original spark plugs at 200K Kms, original rotors at 310K Kms and still is on original struts & dampers. He is still on original Clutch and and had a Transmission oil changed for the first time recently. 😂 He has been tuned stage 3 (stratified) since the beginning. Last month his fuel pump failed. His is mostly a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all!

I’ve read through this terrific thread, an amazing amount of info, which also has me somewhat confused.
I’m the original owner of a 2014 ST, base model, currently has 120,326 miles. I had to replace the turbo @111k miles. Replaced with stock turbo at the Ford dealership. Plugs are original, I went through all my receipts, none have plugs replaced. Car runs great, idles smoothly, but about a month ago I noticed some stumbling at WOT accelerating onto the highway. My commute is 70 miles round trip. So my question is which plugs, and should I replace the coil packs? Is there a coil pack & plug combination that would improve the performance a bit without I’ll effects to the motor? I’ve pretty much followed the scheduled maintenance since new.

Thanks in advance, Glenn

·
Super Moderator
11,762 Posts
Hi all!

I’ve read through this terrific thread, an amazing amount of info, which also has me somewhat confused.
I’m the original owner of a 2014 ST, base model, currently has 120,326 miles. I had to replace the turbo @111k miles. Replaced with stock turbo at the Ford dealership. Plugs are original, I went through all my receipts, none have plugs replaced. Car runs great, idles smoothly, but about a month ago I noticed some stumbling at WOT accelerating onto the highway. My commute is 70 miles round trip. So my question is which plugs, and should I replace the coil packs? Is there a coil pack & plug combination that would improve the performance a bit without I’ll effects to the motor? I’ve pretty much followed the scheduled maintenance since new.

Thanks in advance, Glenn
No need to replace the coils and factory spec plugs gapped from 0.30 to .032.

261 - 280 of 292 Posts