·
Administrator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Why not try the 95605?
Have you tried to find any lately? Some places have one or two, most want 12.00 to 15.00 each plus shipping. Rock auto is the best price and they are out of stock.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
281 Posts
Looks like I can get 4 tomorrow (not that I'm around to get them) and I can't get at least 12 by Tuesday. Just saying if anyone wants them soon.

I'm shopping the livonia napa location for anyone local to that.

ETA - if you want some let me know... Ideally just buy them and do local pickup and I'll grab them and ship them out to you. Looks like shipping to your location isn't an option which is ridiculous. Just local pickup I guess 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
281 Posts
i have a napa near me, im going tomorrow, they were closed tonight. Very old school, my type of store, you have to walk pass their machine shop, to get to the parts shop!
Right on. If you can't find them let me know, I can ship them usps priority on Monday which should be 3 days anywhere in he country.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's what the makers of your plugs have to say...

Keep in mind that torque specs are drastically affected by the condition of the threads and seating area. Gunked up threads will cause you to hit a torque value before the plug is fully seated. Just a heads up.

I suggest and prefer the non torque wrench approach. In which the plug is installed by hand till it touches the seating surface, then and additional percentage of a turn or turns is added. This procedure is laid out below by both manufacturers as an alternative to torque specs.

Torque specs are only good for CLEAN threads. Odds are that your threads are not perfectly clean, unless you have a fresh motor. So keep this in mind when you choose how to tighten your plugs.

Spark Plug Installation | DENSO Auto Parts

Spark Plug Installation | NGK Spark Plugs

Always use the Manufacturer's installation procedures. Who knows their product better than the people that did all the R+D to make it.

Did somebody say anti-seize?

DENSO SPARK PLUGS

Denso Says no. They are worried about over-torquing.

5 Things You Should Know About Spark Plugs | NGK Spark Plugs

NGK say no as well. They have a antiseize plating on their plugs already.
Great sticky! Question that wasn’t answered: what if I’m using the motorcraft plugs? My engine definitely isn’t new so I don’t want to trust my torque wrench. It says for torque instillation 7.2-14.4 lb-ft I guess I could go on the heavier side? Nothing about anti seize on the box either

edit: my motorcraft plugs say on the box “caution: spark plug gap not adjustable” and they’re all gapped to .32” I push pretty dang hard and saw no change 😬 might return them and get NGK LTR6IX-11 Iridium IX. It says the (6509) doesn’t fit my vehicle on autozone, I’m assume because of the gap needing to be adjusted?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I searched but did not find a clear answer:

I have an AP3 but I have not installed it. I also have new Ruthenium spark plugs (95605). Can I install the spark plugs with the expectation of tuning the car in the future, or will those plugs not work well with the stock tune?

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
492 Posts
I searched but did not find a clear answer:

I have an AP3 but I have not installed it. I also have new Ruthenium spark plugs (95605). Can I install the spark plugs with the expectation of tuning the car in the future, or will those plugs not work well with the stock tune?
These will work fine, no issues. Just make sure gap is .026 - .028 and be careful not to damage the electrodes.

Also, I found mine on CarID if you out in your car info it won't find them. under $9.00 each. Use any ecoboost 2.7 like Fusion sport or Edge.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
These will work fine, no issues. Just make sure gap is .026 - .028 and be careful not to damage the electrodes.

Also, I found mine on CarID if you out in your car info it won't find them. under $9.00 each. Use any ecoboost 2.7 like Fusion sport or Edge.
As I mentioned previously- I have four Ruthenium plugs (NGK 95605's), new in the box (never installed). I had a few minutes and checked their respective gaps over the weekend, and they were all at .028". Should I close the gap on the plugs to .026" expecting the gap to widen over time once in use? If I leave them at .028", should I expect that to change (widen out of spec for the tune I want to run) and have to pull the plugs to change or regap them?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

·
Administrator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
As I mentioned previously- I have four Ruthenium plugs (NGK 95605's), new in the box (never installed). I had a few minutes and checked their respective gaps over the weekend, and they were all at .028". Should I close the gap on the plugs to .026" expecting the gap to widen over time once in use? If I leave them at .028", should I expect that to change (widen out of spec for the tune I want to run) and have to pull the plugs to change or regap them?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
I'd tighten them up to .026" .

Reactions: W4R

·
Administrator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I am aware of the pitfalls of damaging the electrode on this type of plug- what's the best way to adjust the gap? I have a gapping tool (the circular type) as well as a set of feeler gauges.
Lightly tap them on something hard, and keep measuring. Or just put them in at .028" to save yourself from getting into trouble.

I like the thread in style plug gap tools.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
281 Posts
I just installed mine gapped at 0.028". Didn't seem worth the effort for the 2 thousandths. I'm also not running a ton of aftermarket power adders, so YMMV.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts