Ford Focus ST Forum banner

201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I was using a tool that look like a coin gaper to meassure it and gently with a hammer on tip to bring the gape down but to increase gape with the coin
Yikes. Those coins aren't the most accurate things out there. I used to use them till someone on here suggested feeler guages. Now that's all I use. I'd suggest grabbing a cheap set of feeler guages on Amazon or something.
Make sure to get a set that has .024-.030.
Much easier than guessing with the coin.

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Yikes. Those coins aren't the most accurate things out there. I used to use them till someone on here suggested feeler guages. Now that's all I use. I'd suggest grabbing a cheap set of feeler guages on Amazon or something.
I've always been partial to these:

I like that they have the notched tab to make adjustments; not as good as a gap tool, but better than smacking the plug on my workbench.

Reactions: Skykri and Scacia

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
On top of that, I would recommend getting a Spark Plug gapping tool like this below:

Smart Gap Spark Plug Gapping Tool (stmtuned.com)

I use this for my plugs and it makes gapping a breeze, and takes guesswork out of getting the gap closed properly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Realy oh well to late now there done and installed but I should not be that off😆

·
Administrator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
This is a spark plug thread, wtf is going on in here?

I hacked out the crap that shouldn't be in here.

Stay on topic.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
747 Posts
Anyone ordered Ruthenium plugs and have experience with it?
I read it holds gaps better NGK Ruthenium HX Spark Plug LTR7BHX One Step Colder is the one I am thinking to order for the BT setup.

·
Administrator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Anyone ordered Ruthenium plugs and have experience with it?
I read it holds gaps better NGK Ruthenium HX Spark Plug LTR7BHX One Step Colder is the one I am thinking to order for the BT setup.
Yeah, lots of us.

They do hold gap better, and are best in slot for spark plugs imho.

Reactions: W4R

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Ruthenium is not better to have if you are built motor. Atleast that’s what Nishan had told me. They actually swapped them out for Iridium NGK plugs on the dyno. Car was happier with them.

On a side note does anyone have any ideas what size HKS plug we have? I wanted to try those out. Apparently they are very very good

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nicely done!

Please however fix the section where you say the 6510 are one step colder (true) and then say again that the 6510 are stock heat range. That's the 6509! BTW, the 6509 come gapped to 0.028" just like the Densos all do. The NGK 6510 come gapped bigger as you noted.

You may also want to add that the Denso ITV 24 are two steps colder, and are what come bundled with the Ford Racing tune.

All the best,
Mark
I have a completely stock 2013 focus ST, what NGK plugs should I get the 1609 then? What should they be gapped to?

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
25 Posts
I know that if you take your Ford to a dealership and they change the spark plugs, they informed me of a process called resetting the keep-alive memory after replacing them. Is this something that really needs to be done when changing plugs?

·
Administrator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I know that if you take your Ford to a dealership and they change the spark plugs, they informed me of a process called resetting the keep-alive memory after replacing them. Is this something that really needs to be done when changing plugs?
It's not necessary, but its in your best interest.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
What exactly does this procedure do?
Over time, many modern cars learn how to "properly" calibrate a bunch of variables that factor into making the car run well. A Keep Alive Memory (KAM) reset basically deletes all of the learning the car has done and resets it back factory calibration -- to start the cycle all over until the next KAM reset.

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
What exactly does this procedure do?
Over time, many modern cars learn how to "properly" calibrate a bunch of variables that factor into making the car run well. A Keep Alive Memory (KAM) reset basically deletes all of the learning the car has done and resets it back factory calibration -- to start the cycle all over until the next KAM reset.
And, the Keep Alive Memory stores your driving habits and will adjust for them; so if you putt around most of the time it will dial things back to conform with your putt, putting. A KAM reset will often restore lost performance.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
25 Posts
So it's the equivalent of deleting your browser history on Chrome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For a bone stock engine, no performance modifications, should I go with the stock ones or should I go a step colder?

·
Administrator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
So it's the equivalent of deleting your browser history on Chrome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For a bone stock engine, no performance modifications, should I go with the stock ones or should I go a step colder?
People have mixed opinions on this. Your climate/ temp lows is a factor.

Personally, I slap one step colder in everything, lol. I have yet to see any proven issues with doing so.

201 - 220 of 261 Posts