Ford Focus ST Forum banner

581 - 600 of 621 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Im very confused. I read the first few pages im not reading all of them. Would be nice if 1st post was updated with all info. Anyway im stage 3 stock turbo no intention of changing, cpe everything with fswerks cobb ap and frpp exhaust. Do I NEED to upgrade my plugs, or its not necessary? If i should what plugs do I use and what do I gap them to?

P.s. 2013 st with a oct 2012 build i believe if i remember correctly. 13k currently
Excellent article put together by Stratified that should answer all your questions.

Blog : Spark Plug Tech : Stratified Automotive Controls

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Went ahead and gapped my NGK LTR7IX-11 spark plugs that I purchased earlier this week to 0.026". The metal gapping tool left some "etching" in the ground strap electrode from the metal-on-metal contact, is this something I should worry about?

Should I purchase new plugs and just go the route of gapping them by tapping them on a hard surface?
I used some fine grit sand paper and just lightly sanded the marks smooth enough to not have any sharp edges. You'll be fine

·
Registered
672 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have Ford Maintenace plan and just went in for my first apt on Monday. I asked my service manager for a layout of what is done at each scheduled service and he printed me the paperwork. The spark plugs don't get changed until 100,000 kms. I thought this seemed like a rather long interval. What are your guys thoughts? When should I check them and possibly replace or should I wait? He said they are platinum plugs (I think that's what he said).

·
1,976 Posts
I have Ford Maintenace plan and just went in for my first apt on Monday. I asked my service manager for a layout of what is done at each scheduled service and he printed me the paperwork. The spark plugs don't get changed until 100,000 kms. I thought this seemed like a rather long interval. What are your guys thoughts? When should I check them and possibly replace or should I wait? He said they are platinum plugs (I think that's what he said).
That's 62137 miles, way past being the need for replacement! I check mine every oil change (5,000) and always have a spare set just incase. Normally change mine every 15,000 or so it seems keeps my car running smoother, etc. But really you should inspect them at intervals to see how they look, how your tune is doing, etc and replace when needed. I run 2 steps colder on my setup and through the tuning phase tested out 1 step colder but after many runs determined them to be a little on the hot side for my car.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I don't think I could ever see myself letting them go to 100K even on the stock tune. Personally I check my plugs at every oil change and re-gap them as needed, but you could probably make the case for checking them every 10-15K depending on mods and driving style. On the normal Focus I'm sure 100K is fine, but on a turbo charged engine I think they should be checked more frequently than that and should be replaced as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
And check gap... mine went from .028 to .040 in 15k to 20k
Same here, mine went from 0.025 to like 0.036 in a little over 12k miles

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
guys, theres a new range of denso itv's have anyone of you tried them? they are twin tips.

There is no part number ITV22TT that I can find, only ITV20TT. So it looks like if you want to use these you'll need to use the stock heat range, and not one step colder.

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I just stage 1 tuned my stock ST, and was told that I should use either Denso ITV22 or ITV24. Which should I use? Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
So I just stage 1 tuned my stock ST, and was told that I should use either Denso ITV22 or ITV24. Which should I use? Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!
Either is good, I would've given a slight edge to ITV24s on stage 1 but even ITV22s are going to be an improvement over the stock heat range.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Who is the tune from? I would think a "stage one" setup would benefit from just a step colder. Two steps would be too much. The other side of the spectrum from the stock plugs

LucasOfEarth

·
Registered
620 Posts
Right ow just a Cobb stage 1 tune. But I eventually want to do Stratified. So i should be fine with a step colder?
That's what they recommend. Probably should disclose that that is my setup...Stratified w/ 1 step colder. I've never had an issue. Going from cobb ots to stratified ots is like brussel sprouts to a banana split

LucasOfEarth

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what they recommend. Probably should disclose that that is my setup...Stratified w/ 1 step colder. I've never had an issue. Going from cobb ots to stratified ots is like brussel sprouts to a banana split

LucasOfEarth
Wow is that how different they are? haha

Can you tell me what did you quickly noticed when running the stratified OTS? I am debating on which one of the vendors to get and right now I am very interested on the stratified.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Wow is that how different they are? haha

Can you tell me what did you quickly noticed when running the stratified OTS? I am debating on which one of the vendors to get and right now I am very interested on the stratified.
All tunes are pretty much subjective as opposed to just objective as we all have a slightly different view of what we expect and use the car for. I have had tunes from Steeda, Ford Racing, Mountune and Stratified. I found the Steeda unrefined but decent, Ford Racing was much better. I then found the Mountune to be better than the other two but still lacking something. I have both the Stratified Flash Tune for 91 and have their E85 tune. E85 tune is amazing. If you really want a full pros and cons, call Jeremy at Stratified. Now I am not dumping on any of the others and have quite a bit of Mountune parts which I love but for me the Stratified E85 tune has it running the best out of all of them in regard to both power and efficiency with all the added mods.

581 - 600 of 621 Posts