Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to change my spark plugs this weekend and just needed some info. I ordered the NGK iridium 1 step colder spark plugs. My question is what's the proper gap for these spark plugs and what should i torque the plugs at when I put them back in? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
Awesome man thaanks so much

Well, the other way to do it is...

Gap as your tuner recommends, and install the plugs as NGK specs, which iirc has a snug then "x amount of degrees" .

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you have supporting mods to necessitate 1 step colder plugs? What is your location?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have supporting mods to necessitate 1 step colder plugs? What is your location?
Live near philly in PA. I have a stratified 93 octane tune upgraded BPV and a green filter. Also I will getting a upgraded intercooler soon.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Live near philly in PA. I have a stratified 93 octane tune upgraded BPV and a green filter. Also I will getting a upgraded intercooler soon.

Still no need for colder plugs. You could end up with carbon fouling. Also your car may run like crap when it gets really cold. Talk to your tuner about gapping. I think Strat says .026". Mountune says .028".

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I have major engine mods including internals...I've gone two step colder plugs and I feel I don't need them. One step colder would be best of you go Big Turbo.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I wasted my money on these one step colder plugs?

I'd at least wait until you do downpipe and exhaust, but I still wouldn't run them until big turbo. Always ask before making purchases. I'm sure you can sell them to somebody.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd at least wait until you do downpipe and exhaust, but I still wouldn't run them until big turbo. Always ask before making purchases. I'm sure you can sell them to somebody.
Well thanks man. What's a good plug to run right now then?

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts

Delco, montco, or bucksco ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Now this I am interested in. I have FMIC, DP and CBE on order and was going to order one step colder plugs, but do you think it's better just to keep stock?

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Now this I am interested in. I have FMIC, DP and CBE on order and was going to order one step colder plugs, but do you think it's better just to keep stock?

Thanks
NGK's rule of thumb is one step colder for every 75-100hp added. Most people that are running them don't need them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
LOL yeah - we aren't getting that kinda HP by going stage 3

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
I have been running one step colder for quite some time.

Pretty much everything covered in this thread is really information to ask the tuner being used.

Coil pack torque is good info, not that I properly torque those 8mm lol.

I use Justin at Freektune, step colder is fine .026 gap NGK preferred. That's what we discussed and are his preferences for my car.

Ask your tuner. That's it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I have been running one step colder for quite some time.

Pretty much everything covered in this thread is really information to ask the tuner being used.

Coil pack torque is good info, not that I properly torque those 8mm lol.

I use Justin at Freektune, step colder is fine .026 gap NGK preferred. That's what we discussed and are his preferences for my car.

Ask your tuner. That's it.
:whs: plain and simple. Stratified recommends upgrading them (our car is RIGHT on the threshold of needing them STOCK) and so does a lot of other tuners. Mean while Randy (I think) does NOT recommend them. It is information your specific tuner can give you the most accurately.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts