Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up guys.. I have a couple questions that maybe I can get help here..
I have a 2016 Focus St stock with the exception of the Turbosmart BOV and Injen Intake, no tune.. Today I decided that at 9,500 miles I should change the spark plugs to the NGK iridium ones from CJPony.
Now I just have a doubt about the plugs.. I know the gap on the stock plugs is at .030 and the NGK Plugs are at .040 the tech told me that since the NGK are Iridium and my car is not tune there is no need to gap them.. I have never heard of that.. he also said that iridium plugs cannot be gapped?? We decided to put them at .040 and there is no lag should I still gap them and can the iridium plugs be gapped?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes they can be gapped. Are these the one step colder ngk? If stock tune I would gap them down to .030-.032. If tuned, .026-.028. I keep mine at .028

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sounds fishy to me. I think Ford knows better for the one ST engine design than NGK about all the engines that plug may fit what the dap should be. I know you bought on-line, but I would not buy a plug that could not be adjusted to the engine OEM (or tuner's if tuned) specification.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey whats up guys.. I have a couple questions that maybe I can get help here..
I have a 2016 Focus St stock with the exception of the Turbosmart BOV and Injen Intake, no tune.. Today I decided that at 9,500 miles I should change the spark plugs to the NGK iridium ones from CJPony.
Now I just have a doubt about the plugs.. I know the gap on the stock plugs is at .030 and the NGK Plugs are at .040 the tech told me that since the NGK are Iridium and my car is not tune there is no need to gap them.. I have never heard of that.. he also said that iridium plugs cannot be gapped?? We decided to put them at .040 and there is no lag should I still gap them and can the iridium plugs be gapped?
Why change the plugs at 9,500 miles if you are not tuned? Ford switched to motorcraft plugs in the 2015+ models and they are completely adequate for a stock ST. Also, the 0.040 gap on the NGK is generic. If tuned, the gap should be 0.026. I would not take my car back to the tech who said NGK plugs cannot be gapped and to leave them at 0.040 - you will most certainly experience misfires at that gap. That is incredibly ignorant of that tech.

Reactions: Straightline

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
a lot of people will say that certian plugs cant be regapped because the box will say that they come pregapped and if you gap them wrong, you can damage the plug. honestly, most of the time I've seen people gapping plugs, they are doing it incorrectly.

·
Registered
2015 focus ST3. Cobb intake, Cobb ap, AXE CS-LITE 18R.
27 Posts
a lot of people will say that certian plugs cant be regapped because the box will say that they come pregapped and if you gap them wrong, you can damage the plug. honestly, most of the time I've seen people gapping plugs, they are doing it incorrectly.
I tap em. XD definitely wrong, but I do it different compared to most I've seen. Hold the plug and something heavy on the arm with same hand. Use other hand to gently tap heavy object to use the weight to slowly bend the arm closer. Specifically the tip of the arm.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
468 Posts

·
Registered
2015 focus ST3. Cobb intake, Cobb ap, AXE CS-LITE 18R.
27 Posts

·
Administrator
12,199 Posts
100% I've seen people hammer on them. Even tapping then on the ground.
Yep pretty common to just tap them on a vise.

I use one of the fancy tools, and get my plugs super consistently gapped, but then again, I also work on quite a few ecoboosts, and Im always gapping plugs. Really sped up the process. I got tired of gapping them free hand.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The only downside to the cheaper red tool is that crap is made in China and 9 out of 10 times, the spark plug hole isnt tapped properly and you then need a sparkplug chase/tap to fix.

Then you stick your 0.026 feeler in there and tighten gently. Back off and the strap actually has some elasticity to it and its still 0.030! So you stick a 0.024-0.022 feeler in there to tighten and realize you dont have feelers that small.

f$&@! I aint mad at all.

·
Administrator
12,199 Posts
The only downside to the cheaper red tool is that crap is made in China and 9 out of 10 times, the spark plug hole isnt tapped properly and you then need a sparkplug chase/tap to fix.

Then you stick your 0.026 feeler in there and tighten gently. Back off and the strap actually has some elasticity to it and its still 0.030! So you stick a 0.024-0.022 feeler in there to tighten and realize you dont have feelers that small.

f$&@! I aint mad at all.
Lmao, I bought a USA made one somewhere. Yeah the spring back. I compress, then let off and measure. Then give it a touch as necessary. It's very similar to hand bending conduit, lol

Reactions: mitch808

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a build 2014 st3 looking for RECOMMENDED SPARK PLUG GAP, car makes roughly 300hp on a safe TUNE, THANKS IN ADVANCE!
  • manly rods
  • mahl pistons
  • piper cams
  • arp headstuds
  • catless dp
  • 3" exhaust
  • Garrett gtx 28/60r turbo
  • tial bov

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
I have a build 2014 st3 looking for RECOMMENDED SPARK PLUG GAP, car makes roughly 300hp on a safe TUNE, THANKS IN ADVANCE!
  • manly rods
  • mahl pistons
  • piper cams
  • arp headstuds
  • catless dp
  • 3" exhaust
  • Garrett gtx 28/60r turbo
  • tial bov

Also, have you asked your tuner what they recommend?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a new set of Ruthenium NGK 95605 plugs. I checked the gaps out of the package, and they were all 0.28". I wanted to gap them to .026" in preparation for adding a tune (I'm still undecided, but possibly the Adept-X tune from Monster Tuned). I have a thread-in plug gapper and I have 3 of the 4 perfect, but ONE of the plugs is gapped tighter than the others. My .026" feeler gauge still fits, but it drags more through the gap than the other three (I am trying to be gentle with the electrode). Should I attempt to widen the gap a tiny amount, or am I being ridiculous?

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
281 Posts
I have a new set of Ruthenium NGK 95605 plugs. I checked the gaps out of the package, and they were all 0.28". I wanted to gap them to .026" in preparation for adding a tune (I'm still undecided, but possibly the Adept-X tune from Monster Tuned). I have a thread-in plug gapper and I have 3 of the 4 perfect, but ONE of the plugs is gapped tighter than the others. My .026" feeler gauge still fits, but it drags more through the gap than the other three (I am trying to be gentle with the electrode). Should I attempt to widen the gap a tiny amount, or am I being ridiculous?
You're being ridiculous.

If the feeler gauge still fits you are probably a half thousandth smaller than the rest. Not a big enough difference for anyone (including your engine) to notice.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Adding to @Joeywhat 's thoughts ..... in terms of risk vs. reward, if it were me, knowing my skills at widening plug gaps, I would deem the likelihood of messing up the electrode while trying to make the gap .005 wider is greater than the performance degradation of having the gap .005 narrower than your other three plugs.

But there's nothing ridiculous about wanting your car to run its very best!! :)

Reactions: rob99rt
1 - 20 of 22 Posts