Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a full bolt on , solid mount , ngk 1 step colder plugs & a stratified flash tune on my 13 focus st , I read up on their website to gap plugs at 0.25-0.26 so I gapped mine to 0.25 since they widen over time. Car seems to be running great but people are telling me that’s way too tight & I should gap around 30ish since it’s only a flash tune but I’m new to all of this so I’d like to hear other suggestions, thanks.

·
Administrator
12,717 Posts
Hey guys I have a full bolt on , solid mount , ngk 1 step colder plugs & a stratified flash tune on my 13 focus st , I read up on their website to gap plugs at 0.25-0.26 so I gapped mine to 0.25 since they widen over time. Car seems to be running great but people are telling me that’s way too tight & I should gap around 30ish since it’s only a flash tune but I’m new to all of this so I’d like to hear other suggestions, thanks.
.026" is what you want. .025" will be fine. .030" is not my recomendation ever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.026" is what you want. .025" will be fine. .030" is not my recomendation ever.
So 0.25 is safe ? Cause I’m assuming it will widen out to a 0.26 eventually, I just kept it in that realm but they told me not to run it that tight unless it’s a custom tune so I’m just dumbfounded lol

·
Administrator
12,717 Posts
So 0.25 is safe ? Cause I’m assuming it will widen out to a 0.26 eventually, I just kept it in that realm but they told me not to run it that tight unless it’s a custom tune so I’m just dumbfounded lol
.25" is a quarter inch. Thats friggin huge. We gap at .026".

Who are these "people"?

Shiz, we have an entire sticky for spark plugs.

One I wrote...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.25" is a quarter inch. Thats friggin huge. We gap at .026".

Who are these "people"?

Shiz, we have an entire sticky for spark plugs.

One I wrote...
Well it’s someone I usually go to , to talk about these cars cause he works on them a lot etc & I just wanna know what’s right you know but when I read **** from the actual tuner themselves saying I can run .25 - .26 & he’s saying I have to be closer to .30 it bothers me so I reach out to you guys lol

·
Administrator
12,717 Posts
Well it’s someone I usually go to , to talk about these cars cause he works on them a lot etc & I just wanna know what’s right you know but when I read **** from the actual tuner themselves saying I can run .25 - .26 & he’s saying I have to be closer to .30 it bothers me so I reach out to you guys lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I read that & that basically confirms 0.25 is okay, i think I need to come to forums a little more for my questions lol

·
Administrator
12,717 Posts
Yeah I read that & that basically confirms 0.25 is okay, i think I need to come to forums a little more for my questions lol
.25 is not ok. .025" is the proper measurement. 25 hundreths versus 25 thousandths is a huge difference.

·
Registered
2014 MK3 FoST MRX EFR Turbo Tangerine Scream (German Built)
301 Posts
Stock car the plugs are on 0.028-0.030. It all depends on your calibrator. Stratified i recall suggests 0.026. Mine for example is Mountune and they suggested 0.028 which has been the gap I have been using all these years with NGK 1 step colder plugs with amazing results. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Thatblack_St

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Stock car the plugs are on 0.028-0.030. It all depends on your calibrator. Stratified i recall suggests 0.026. Mine for example is Mountune and they suggested 0.028 which has been the gap I have been using all these years with NGK 1 step colder plugs with amazing results. Hope this helps.
Stratified on their site recommend at 0.025 - 0.026

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Stratified on their site recommend at 0.025 - 0.026
Do what the tuner says and you can stop worrying about the plugs :)

The best tunes are the ones where you send logs to the tuner and they send you revisions until they say everything is good. Stratified has been tuning our cars for years now, they know what they are doing. Your friend probably has good knowledge of certain things but if they are not doing the tuning, i wouldnt take their spark plug advice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For what it's worth, 0.026 for me...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I was orginally tuned by Mountune and .028 is what was recommended. I have not had any misses while under boost. If I switch plugs I’ll probably go to .026, because gaps do widen and every other tuner recommends this. Stratified said it would be ok at .028 but if I start having blow out, to re-gap to .026.

Mountune said for our boost levels .028 was good, but for the RS they recommended .026.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts