Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a cheap, skinny, 18" or 19" wheel option I can build a spare tire out of? The stock spare isn't going to fit over my brakes and I have plans for a winter set up for the stock snow flakes. I don't really stress too much about zipping around town with no spare, but don't want to do a road trip without it if there's an easy option.

·
Premium Member
13,911 Posts
Anyone know of a cheap, skinny, 18" or 19" wheel option I can build a spare tire out of? The stock spare isn't going to fit over my brakes and I have plans for a winter set up for the stock snow flakes. I don't really stress too much about zipping around town with no spare, but don't want to do a road trip without it if there's an easy option.
I can fit and oem wheel and tire (not spare) in the spare spot. So you shouldn't need a special wheel.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Think about it when you go from a 17 to 18" wheel you often go to a smaller profile tire. This keeps the overall diameter the same whether its a 16, 17 or even 19" wheel. So a spare is the same outer diameter as the regular rolling stock.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think you guys read my post at all, lol ;-P

I need 18" or bigger to fit over my brakes; not trying to change the overall diameter at all. My stock ones are being used for a winter set up so I don't want one of those in there. I'm sure I could pick up a 5th snowflake somewhere, but hard to find someone selling just one. Would prefer to find a cheap old wheel that'll fit, put a skinny tire on it, toss in the hole, and Be done with it.

·
Premium Member
13,911 Posts

I need 18" or bigger to fit over my brakes; not trying to change the overall diameter at all. My stock ones are being used for a winter set up so I don't want one of those in there. I'm sure I could pick up a 5th snowflake somewhere, but hard to find someone selling just one. Would prefer to find a cheap old wheel that'll fit, put a skinny tire on it, toss in the hole, and Be done with it.
Just buy a cheap 18x8 wheel. Yes I did read your post. Doesn't have to be a "skinny" wheel to work.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can also buy a single refinished OEM snowflake from Rock Auto when they have them in stock. Right now they only show 17s. The supplier is Keystone, you may be able to buy direct

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

Whatever you own today, buy a 5th one? Or at least one of similar measurements. I thought I had written something coherent in my last post. I currently own 5 18x8 wheels of the same type for this purpose. I bought it more for curbage or bending and them being so rare JDM mad tyte y0 kind of wheels... But they fit in my spare wheel well! And I have a BBK too.

If the overall diameter of the factory 18" wheel with tire is say 22". (Pulling that out of thin air). Moving to a 19" wheel and tire combo, would still have a 22" overall diameter, as the sidewall would be thinner in the 19" application. The 16" spare or whatever is in there, it too has a 22" overall diameter. Meaning, anything that fits factory sizes, with the proper proportions keeping the odometer the same, will fit in there. Short of perhaps a 11" wide wheel or wider.

So buy a 5th wheel of the same type, most vendors can do this. Or get something from tirerack or similar.

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
Jaguar and Volvo both use 5x108 wheels and many come with 18"; Focus Platinum uses 18" same as the ST. Check your local wrecking yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts