Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a 2014 Focus ST1. The stock seats are uncomfortable for me so I installed one Sparco seat on the driver side.
Can someone please help me find a safe way to clear the airbag sensor? Install resistors maybe? If so, what size on which location?
Per my photo: bottom left (magenta) is the seat belt sensor. I got that one taken care of. I need help with the (orange left) and (yellow right) sensors.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Get a multimeter, and measure the resistance of the airbag between the two terminals.

Find a resistor of equal value, and stick it in the holes, and see what happens. On a Subaru we would use a 3.3 Ohm 1W resistor. Some used 3ohm with success, up to 5ohm with success. One guy couldn't find 3 or 3.3 ohm, so he put 3 10ohm resistors in parallel, bam, 3.3ohms!

This should be an easy $3 fix...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a 2014 Focus ST1. The stock seats are uncomfortable for me so I installed one Sparco seat on the driver side.
Can someone please help me find a safe way to clear the airbag sensor? Install resistors maybe? If so, what size on which location?
Per my photo: bottom left (magenta) is the seat belt sensor. I got that one taken care of. I need help with the (orange left) and (yellow right) sensors.
Thanks!
This doesn't seem like a how to guide (at least not yet), but if you wrote up a little about installing the aftermarket seat, myself and a few others I'm sure would be interested. Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on the airbag sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@danmad32, you are right!
writing a guide below, i will also try to post this on a new thread.

How I installed my aftermarket driver seat by brother J - 2014 Focus ST1

Step 1 – obtain measurements from your new desire seat. You want to make sure the new seat is not too big to fit into your driver’s cockpit. (the width by your knees and shoulder is important. )

Step 2 – I wanted my seats to slide forward and back, make sure your new seat comes with a set of sliding rails. Purchase if desire.

Step 3 – Buy a custom seat bracket that is made to fit your car. You can try: planted technology, sparco, untitled, wedge engineering and etc. (I chose planted technology, you can also check ebay.)

Step 4 – (disregard this step if you are investing in side mounts.) invest in a spacer kit if needed (my seat was sitting too low, I needed this to bring the sitting position higher. If you choose to make your own spacer kit from a local hardware store, I highly suggest for you to get only “alloy or grade 8” bolts, nuts and spacers. Safety first, I don’t want the regular steel to snap while you are hauling ass. (for the nut, nylon lock nut is highly recommend.) I bought my spacer kit from Sparco for $20. Link here: Sparco USA

Step 5 – before removing your factory seat, installed HW to your new seat to make sure everything fits. First install the sliding rails to your new seat. You will need to slide the metal sliders around to match the mounting holes against your new seat. Then, installed the seat mounting bracket (mine from planted technology) to the sliders. *Make sure both side of the sliders are in the same position before doing so. Do not install the center lever to adjust your seat slider. (install spacers if desire or if you are under 6 foot tall, give or take : )

Step 6 – remove the four bolt on the existing seat with a T50 driver. Under the driver’s seat, there is a little black box: disconnect the; two side air bags & seatbelt sensors with a small flat head. *Be very careful when you do this, you don’t want to damage the connectors or housing. and take a pictures so you will remember which cable goes where.

Step 7 – remove the (female) seat belt apparatus from the factory seat, one single bolt. For me, the “L” shape bracket from the seat belt shaft will not rest flat on my new seat, so I used a vice to flatten the L shape bracket. The L shape bracket can be bent back to the original form if needed. I have done so, but be careful, I know you are strong, just don’t use too much elbow grease while doing this.

Step 8 – install seat belt apparatus to the new seat. test fit the new seat first and install the center sliding rail lever from step 5. But first check for desire orientation on the center lever. Lever facing up worked 10 times better for me.

Step 9 –find a safe method to disable the seat airbag sensors (pending for a solution, please kindly help)

Step 10 – in the little black box under the driver seat, reconnect the seat belt power sensor, fasten the four T50 bolts on the seat bracket and go live your life a quarter mile at a time : )

Technology Wire Automotive exterior Electronics Bumper Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat Vehicle door Footwear Shoe Carmine Athletic shoe Sportswear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@mitch808
thanks for your input.
I asked a reputable performance shop to do exactly what you said. They told me not to do so, saying if the values are incorrect or if system senses a wrong signal, my air bags may deploy. The same shop services high-end sports cars and tunes professional race cars. So, I’m stuck..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bumping, did you ever find a fix for this? I'm wanting to put in aftermarket seats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts