Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic is beat to shît, but all the posts I could find are either super old or not related to this size.

I just put on a new set of 18x8.5 Fifteen52 Tarmac wheels on my ‘15 ST. The offset is 42 ET from the factory, so they front fits pretty well but the rear isn’t where I want it.

After doing a lot of hard maths and help from others here, I calculated that my new setup will be -0.7mm Front & -5.7mm Rear further away from the fenders than the 20mm front; 25mm rear spacer setup I had with my stock wheels. I’m trying to replicate my previous stance as best I can. I can live with the front as is (I don’t even think they make a 1mm spacer) but I want to put 5mm spacers on the rear in the most stable way I can.

I have 4 questions and appreciate any feedback:

1. What is the best 5mm spacer setup, type and brand to get. Are there spacer alternatives that are better, sans getting different rear wheels? I saw Ken block pushing a new type of spacer in an ad for his RS but don’t know anyone running them. (I know some have hub extenders, some don’t; different materials... etc.

2. Do I really need to be running extended bolts for a 5mm spacer? I’ve heard both opinions on the forums but no definitive answer.

3. Do the rear bolts hammer out on the rear or do I have to remove or even replace the entire hub? Cuz I’ve heard mixed answers on this. Anyone know for sure?

4. What are the best bolts to get which won’t stick out too far? I wanna keep the same lug pattern.

Even if it’s not necessary for me to run extended bolts I will add them down the road when I upgrade my brakes and rotors because it’s more stable.

Thanks!

A white FSwerks Tuned, Steeda Breathing, Straight Piped, Symp Deleted 2015 FoST-2, sitting on Fifteen52 Tarmac’s, wrapped in Indy 500’s. - SD

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
1. What is the best 5mm spacer setup, type and brand to get.

2. Do I really need to be running extended bolts for a 5mm spacer? I’ve heard both opinions on the forums but no definitive answer.
1. H&R 5mm spacer kit comes with slightly extended lugs. 5mm is thin enough that there is still hubcentric centering of the wheel.
2. That depends on your wheels. What I did was to install just the spacer with the stock lugs, mark a wheel nut, and then count the number of turns until it was snug. With my Enkei RPF1s, the number of turns were borderline (8), so I'm installing the extended lugs that came with the kit to get an extra turn or two.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. H&R 5mm spacer kit comes with slightly extended lugs. 5mm is thin enough that there is still hubcentric centering of the wheel.
2. That depends on your wheels. What I did was to install just the spacer with the stock lugs, mark a wheel nut, and then count the number of turns until it was snug. With my Enkei RPF1s, the number of turns were borderline (8), so I'm installing the extended lugs that came with the kit to get an extra turn or two.
That makes sense. So the HR setup comes with extended lugs. How difficult is the install on the rear for them?

Thanks for the help!

A white FSwerks Tuned, Steeda Breathing, Straight Piped, Symp Deleted 2015 FoST-2, sitting on Fifteen52 Tarmac’s, wrapped in Indy 500’s. - SD

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,333 Posts
ST Suspensions offers a nice set of 5mm spacers black anodized, with narrow neck lug nuts......used them for my Frankenbrake upgrade:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ST Suspensions offers a nice set of 5mm spacers black anodized, with narrow neck lug nuts......used them for my Frankenbrake upgrade:

View attachment 388307
These are the spacers Ken Block was promoting and supposedly rockin on his Gymkhana Focus RS.

Is a narrow neck lug nut like a tuner lug? Did you throw on extended bolts or just send it?

I really like these but I didn’t know if they fit the ST. Do you know the part number?

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,333 Posts
These are the spacers Ken Block was promoting and supposedly rockin on his Gymkhana Focus RS.

Is a narrow neck lug nut like a tuner lug? Did you throw on extended bolts or just send it?

I really like these but I didn’t know if they fit the ST. Do you know the part number?

They do fit the ST - that is my ST in the picture lol. They come with new lug nuts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They do fit the ST - that is my ST in the picture lol. They come with new lug nuts
I just ordered a pair. I got some expensive lug nuts already so hopefully I don’t have to use theirs.

Reactions: StanE

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,333 Posts
I just ordered a pair. I got some expensive lug nuts already so hopefully I don’t have to use theirs.

I was using black gorilla lugs before I installed those 5mm spacers (minimum spacer required to safely clear the Brembos with the snowflakes). The through nuts they supply with the spacers are only plain steel finish, so I got some plastic caps to finish off the look:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was using black gorilla lugs before I installed those 5mm spacers (minimum spacer required to safely clear the Brembos with the snowflakes). The through nuts they supply with the spacers are only plain steel finish, so I got some plastic caps to finish off the look:

View attachment 388327
Why’d you go with the nuts they supplied instead of your gorillas?

So you didn’t do extended bolts right? You are just running the spacer w/ the stock bolts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a heads up, you can run 3mm spacers with a little room to spare.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
3. Do the rear bolts hammer out on the rear or do I have to remove or even replace the entire hub? Cuz I’ve heard mixed answers on this. Anyone know for sure?

4. What are the best bolts to get which won’t stick out too far? I wanna keep the same lug pattern.
3. Yes the rears are far more serviceable than than the fronts. They can be hammered out but you need to create an access hole in the dust shields large enough to pass a stud through them. You could pull the entire brake assemble to do it but thats more work than just drilling a hole. Pretty sure i drilled mine from the 12 oclock position, most room without other stuff in the way.

4. There are only two longer studs that I know of that will work on our focus from ARP.
3.25" ARP 100-7713 ARP Wheel Studs | Summit Racing
or
2.5" ARP 100-7725 ARP Wheel Studs | Summit Racing

The 3.25" will be way too long for pretty much any application outside of some odd wheels (long open tuner lugs would still end up showing 1/3" of threads.)

The 2.5" should give you plenty of meat for any spacer you want to run, irrc our oem studs are 2". I have tested both of those studs on my car and they fit our hubs and lugs. The 2.5" ones have a bull nose (rounded point not threaded) and would make putting wheels back on a smidge easier but probably waste about 1/4inch of threaded potential. I didnt do math or test if a standard closed lug nut would still fit on them or if you have to go open lug or longer tuner lug.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,333 Posts
Why’d you go with the nuts they supplied instead of your gorillas?

So you didn’t do extended bolts right? You are just running the spacer w/ the stock bolts?

Well, if you look at these spacers, the holes for the studs are much lager than the stud diameter - this is for the thin end of their special elongated nuts to go through, so you get full thread engagement. With only a 5mm spacer I might have been OK with the existing gorilla nuts, but I just wanted to be safe........... :unsure:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It must be tight with the 3mm, as it's already tight with my 5mm! Who makes 3mm spacers anyway ?
It is but not tight enough to not fit the tip of my finger in there. Amazon for the win lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hmmmm, maybe I'll take a look at those too......
TBH the only thing that has happened to the calipers is brake dust and they ave been on the car for about 8-10k miles.

Since you already have the long studs and spacers,I'd probably just keep running it!

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,333 Posts
TBH the only thing that has happened to the calipers is brake dust and they ave been on the car for about 8-10k miles.

Since you already have the long studs and spacers,I'd probably just keep running it!
Well, technically any spacer has the effect of increasing the scrub radius of the steering, which is rarely a good thing. But for a difference of only 2mm per wheel I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
3. Yes the rears are far more serviceable than than the fronts. They can be hammered out but you need to create an access hole in the dust shields large enough to pass a stud through them. You could pull the entire brake assemble to do it but thats more work than just drilling a hole. Pretty sure i drilled mine from the 12 oclock position, most room without other stuff in the way.

2.5" ARP 100-7725 ARP Wheel Studs | Summit Racing

The 2.5" should give you plenty of meat for any spacer you want to run, irrc our oem studs are 2". I have tested both of those studs on my car and they fit our hubs and lugs. The 2.5" ones have a bull nose (rounded point not threaded) and would make putting wheels back on a smidge easier but probably waste about 1/4inch of threaded potential. I didnt do math or test if a standard closed lug nut would still fit on them or if you have to go open lug or longer tuner lug.
Thanks for the info! That’s good to know, I will probably drill a hole as well. If our stock bolts are 2”, the 2.5” bolts should be perfect with my open ended tuner lugs. There is quite a bit of space left in the lugs and should help prevent future bolt rust.

Well, if you look at these spacers, the holes for the studs are much lager than the stud diameter - this is for the thin end of their special elongated nuts to go through, so you get full thread engagement. With only a 5mm spacer I might have been OK with the existing gorilla nuts, but I just wanted to be safe........... :unsure:
That’s what I was afraid of, the holes being larger than the bolts. Is it unsafe to use regular 60 deg conical nuts with these spacers? I wonder if the spacer will slip or something because of the gap... I’m returning the spacers if I can’t use my lugs lol.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thanks for the info! That’s good to know, I will probably drill a hole as well. If our stock bolts are 2”, the 2.5” bolts should be perfect with my open ended tuner lugs. There is quite a bit of space left in the lugs and should help prevent future bolt rust.
Also, i bought 9mm spacers from this seller for my winter wheels. They came out looking pretty nice and havent had any issues. They sell 5mm as well: Atom Autosport | eBay Stores

1 - 20 of 20 Posts