Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The South Bend Clutch is one of the most popular clutch options for the Focus ST’s older cousin, the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6. These clutches have proven to hold up to extreme abuse and extreme levels of torque.

When we first started trying to get our shop Focus ST down the drag strip, we knew we’d need a new clutch pretty fast. However, after our first couple of aftermarket clutch attempts failed, we decided to contact our favorite Mazdaspeed Clutch manufacturer, South Bend, and see if they could do anything for us.

It wasn’t too long before they had a prototype Clutch on the way, and we had it in our car. With our bad experiences from the previous clutch kits we’d tried, we were admittedly a bit nervous. However, with the success we’ve seen in the Mazdaspeed world, and the Mazdaspeed and Focus ST not being so different, we knew that South Bend had what we needed.

After receiving our Prototype South Bend Clutch (What would become the Stage 3 Drag), we broke it in and then immediately put it through its paces. Despite having a very stiff pedal feel, the South Bend Clutch blew away our expectations and is still fixed to our engine today. It has been through numerous flat out half mile events, as well as quarter mile events launching on full drag slicks. During all of this, we didn’t get a whiff of trouble from the clutch.

After our motor blew, we pulled it apart and the disc and flywheel were still in great shape, as well as the pressure plate. So, with a little resurfacing, we just reused it and it is now running on the new DHM Stroker. We certainly look forward to cranking up the power and seeing what this clutch can continue to do.

There are 7 clutch options from South Bend for the Focus ST.​

The Stage 2 Daily and the Stage 2 Endurance are going to be more of a stock replacement option as their torque capacity is not high enough for a modded stock turbo ST.

The South Bend Stage 2 Daily- $979.51

It is rated to 350 ft/lbs and comes with Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, and alignment tool.

The South Bend Stage 2 Endurance-
$1088.34

It is rated to 400 ft/lbs and comes with Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, and alignment tool.

The South Bend Stage 2 Drag-
$1088.34

It is rated to 450 ft/lbs and comes with Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, and alignment tool.
This will be a great option for those sticking with the stock turbo but plan on modding it to the limits.

The South Bend Stage 3 Clutches are going to be for you big turbo guys. These will support from 430 ft/lbs to 625 ft/lbs.

The South Bend Stage 3 Daily- $1197.17

It is rated to 430 ft/lbs and comes with Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, and alignment tool.
The daily clutch option is going to be more street/daily driver friendly. If you are not planning to race your car, this would be the option for you.

The South Bend Stage 3 Endurance- $1306.01

It is rated to 500 ft/lbs and comes with Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, and alignment tool.
The Endurance is designed to take on more heat and abuse. It is going to be great for higher torque output and continuous track duty (road corse/autox)

The South Bend Stage 3 Drag-
$1088.34

It is rated to 625 ft/lbs and comes with Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, and alignment tool.
I’m not really sure what the drag clutch is designed for. I just can’t put my finger on it… /sarcasm
If you plan on spending a lot of time at the ¼ mile, you should consider this clutch. Our is a prototype, but I believe it most closely resembles this one.

The South Bend Stage 4 Clutch is an extreme duty clutch for those of you pusing some serious power. It is rated to 655 ft/lbs and is the last step before you need to start considering a twin disc.

South Bend Stage 4- $1523.68

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I recently installed a stage 3 endurance clutch kit, so far I've got about 450 miles on it, city driving. From what I read since it's a kevlar clutch disk it will need an extended breakin period of 1000 miles. Is this true ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts