Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently have the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on my '14 Focus ST. I love the sound, but highway driving from 2600RPM to 3000RPM the sound is almost unbearable for me. I often end up down-shifting to 5th just to help reduce volume.

I am really interested in a MBRP exhaust, since I heard they are much quieter. My only thing is I would really like to hear one in real life before I go spending another $450 on an exhaust I don't really want. Is there anyone in the Elkhart, IN Michiana area that has one installed that would be willing to meet up and show it off? I would be willing to drive as far as 1-1/2 hours from Elkhart Indiana to meet up.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
You're probably hearing the drone that you don't like.
You'll have drone with almost all of the 3" lower cost systems like MBRP and Flowmaster.
Either go down to a 2.5" like Borla or Ford Racing or get a higher end system like Miltek, Cobb, or CPE.

Other things you could do is modify your Flowmaster by adding in a small resonator.

Good luck, I hope you find what you need!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
I would agree that it is probably a drone that you here, however I have a MBRP and don't have an drone in it at all.

I would also suggest looking at adding an additional resonator into your current system if you like what you have now. Vibrant makes good resonators at a reasonable prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're probably hearing the drone that you don't like.
You'll have drone with almost all of the 3" lower cost systems like MBRP and Flowmaster.
Either go down to a 2.5" like Borla or Ford Racing or get a higher end system like Miltek, Cobb, or CPE.

Other things you could do is modify your Flowmaster by adding in a small resonator.

Good luck, I hope you find what you need!
Cheers!
^^^ Agree! Although much more tame with the MBRP(I run the MBRP 3" Stainless), there is still a noticeable amount of drone. Most 3" systems with low restriction mufflers and resonators are likely to be similar. Search on and enjoy!

Ciao!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts