Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more out of curiosity than anything.

I noticed that the Sound Symposer delete is a really popular modification. I got my ST and installed the Roush exhaust and it seemed to me that the exhaust is so loud that I can't hear the sound symposer.

I noticed that other people have exhaust modifications and they still delete the sound symposer. In my mind, why bother. You can't hear it.

Is there other reasons for the delete? Am I actually hearing it and not realizing it? Am I crazy to think that if you make your car loud enough with exhausts and open box air filters that it's not worth the time, money and effort to delete it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well maybe I will consider deleting it.

I could barely hear my symposer in the first place. I figured there is no way it can be heard over my exhaust.

Even when my piss poor excuse for a stereo system (Sony) was a like level 8 for the volume I couldn't hear my symposer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Roush exhaust as well. In my situation, the symposer seemed to cause a distortion to the frequency of the exhaust. Once I removed the symposer, it was a much cleaner sound, true sound of the engine at work.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noted. I thought people were crazy, glad I asked.

I am on CJ Pony Parts right now looking at ordering one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is more out of curiosity than anything.

I noticed that the Sound Symposer delete is a really popular modification. I got my ST and installed the Roush exhaust and it seemed to me that the exhaust is so loud that I can't hear the sound symposer.

I noticed that other people have exhaust modifications and they still delete the sound symposer. In my mind, why bother. You can't hear it.

Is there other reasons for the delete? Am I actually hearing it and not realizing it? Am I crazy to think that if you make your car loud enough with exhausts and open box air filters that it's not worth the time, money and effort to delete it?
Many people remove the sound symposer to mount a OCC at that location. Others for access to a vacuum port. I deleted mine simply to clean up the engine bay a little. Besides, I like to hear my music through the speakers ad my exhaust from the exhaust, just like nature intended.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
371 Posts
I deleted mine before I put my exhaust on, I was installing a couple other things so it was convenient to do it while I had a lot of stuff already taken out of the engine bay . Plus just hated that hunk of plastic! But good choice with Roush! just wait till you install a DP :big smile:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the more you know right lol

I am glad I asked. Anyone have recommendations?

I was looking at the steeda, I have no intentions on connecting a vacuum line or running an OCC.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I just recently asked a similar question. The consensus is a block off plate is a block off plate is a block off plate. Don't overthink this one. Toss a coin and pick one. Not breeding Panda's here, lol. I suggest JBR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's the one i have. But they do make one that has the fittings for those. I did the delete to get rid of drone. Made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
just get one that comes with the firewall plug! Which means don't pay Cobb $50 for theirs when you can get one for $25 with plug.

Reactions: TtoTHEdub

·
Registered
41 Posts
I deleted mine because I wanted a more "real" sound at first, even though I knew it was going to be quieter. I installed an exhaust a couple months after I deleted the symposer, and I'm really happy that I did. This car makes enough noise now between the turbo back exhaust, BOV, and an open ended filter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts