Ford Focus ST Forum banner

sound deadener under rear parcel shelf?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Toadster 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Ah gotcha. I come from the Offroad world and exhaust drone, tire noise, gear whine, creaks groans, pops clanks and bumpsteer is a daily occurrence. So my Focus ST is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned lol. It's nice driving a vehicle that does over 90mph without even feeling like your going 55mph. Oh and sway bars are kind of nice. My previous daily driver had no sway bars and really low gears, so 65mph was top speed. ?

I think once I get used to the quiet interior of the Focus, I'll probably be doing the same thing you are looking at doing. At the moment though that induction noise on the intake is intoxicating.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Are you talking about under near the spare tire area? When I soundproof my car I did the whole thing basically. I pulled the carpet and stuff up there, took out the tire and anything else, then put down some roadkill extreme for the resonation and then put a layer of something similiar to what you have linked down.

When soundproofing you have 3 types of material to do it really well. 1-sound resonation stuff like roadkill. Then some open celled foam to collect any noise that gets through the car, then a third layer of closed cell to shoot any more noise back down. However, anything helps and the more you can do the better.

#6 ·
That may not be effective...

Take a look in from the outside through the rear glass at how big the gap is between the inside of the hatch and the rearmost edge of the parcel shelf. It's a pretty big gap and the interior side of the hatch has all that nice noise-reflective hard plastic fascia...

I would wager that if you put that sound deadening inside the hatch fascia, you'd get better results!

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: Toadster
#8 ·
It would be way more effective to put the sound deadening on the floor of the cargo area and maybe the rear hatch behind the liner than on the parcel shelf itself. That will help stop the noise from even entering the passenger compartment instead of trying to confine it to the rear cargo area.

#10 ·
found this on another forum...

You'll need two cans of expanding foam (which go on sale a few times a year for about $2 apiece, hence the $5 in the title), some spray paint, and a knife or a saw to do a bit of sculpting. You want to spray a layer of foam across the bottom of your parcel tray. After, of course, removing it from the car, I started by filling in all the channels, then adding a few diagonals, and filling in the open triangles like I was coloring back in grade-school.

After letting the foam dry, test-fit the parcel shelf. You'll probably have to trim the foam around the sides so that it will seat properly. I also trimmed the foam on the rear lip so that I couldn't see it peaking out at me. A saw or a heated knife work best for this part. Finally, rattlecan the entire thing black to so it blends in. It should come out looking like this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.