Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question - have any of you had any quirks / problems with your ST that are 'random' enough that they cannot be replicated to get fixed? I have a 2016 1ST so its pretty basic, yet at times it:

1. Turns the radio volume up correlated to steering wheel angle and pressure (RH turn angle about 30% with hand on bottom corner). Cannot accurately replicate it to save my life.
2. Driver seat comes "unlatched" and randomly slides BACK upon acceleration.
3. Driver door handle doesn't completely unlatch and the door is stuck. Only way to open door is to roll down window and use outside handle.
4. After turning the car off, if you sit in it for a minute the needles in all the gauges like to "dance" for a few seconds then its done.

These are minor concerns at best (well the seat thing may not be so minor) but because none of them can be replicated regularly the dealer just looks at me like i'm an idiot if I ask them to look at it.

The seat they told me is a safety issue and they have to look at it, only for me to lose my car for an afternoon to get the classic "could not replicate concern"

Did I get the statistical "bad car" or are these "normal"? DO you have any other oddball quirks (with your ST?)

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Question - have any of you had any quirks / problems with your ST that are 'random' enough that they cannot be replicated to get fixed? I have a 2016 1ST so its pretty basic, yet at times it:

1. Turns the radio volume up correlated to steering wheel angle and pressure (RH turn angle about 30% with hand on bottom corner). Cannot accurately replicate it to save my life.
2. Driver seat comes "unlatched" and randomly slides BACK upon acceleration.
3. Driver door handle doesn't completely unlatch and the door is stuck. Only way to open door is to roll down window and use outside handle.
4. After turning the car off, if you sit in it for a minute the needles in all the gauges like to "dance" for a few seconds then its done.

These are minor concerns at best (well the seat thing may not be so minor) but because none of them can be replicated regularly the dealer just looks at me like i'm an idiot if I ask them to look at it.

The seat they told me is a safety issue and they have to look at it, only for me to lose my car for an afternoon to get the classic "could not replicate concern"

Did I get the statistical "bad car" or are these "normal"? DO you have any other oddball quirks (with your ST?)
Never heard of any of those issues happening. You may be a fluke situation.

·
Registered
180 Posts
#4 is normal, my 2014 does it too. Modern computerized cars do all kinds of unexpected stuff. Take it off your list.

I would guess #1 has to do with the steering wheel volume control - either the switch is defective, or possibly an intermittent wiring issue. Not sure what is involved in disassembling to inspect it. Might well require airbag removal - not a big deal if you know the procedure.

#2 sounds exciting - in a bad way. I'd get a flashlight and look for FOD debris (penny or whatnot) in the seat tracks and mechanism. Should not be that hard to figure this one out.

Did you purchase the car new or used?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
#3, there was a recall for the door latch. dealer should fix for free.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
331 Posts
#3, there was a recall for the door latch. dealer should fix for free.
Good Luck.
Yes there is a recall but only up to 2015 a 2016 is NOT covered under that latch recall. However it should still be under the 3yr 36k warranty and should be covered under that.

MY car is a 17 ST1 and I have none of the issues you have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
X2. Mine does it every day. Don't know exactly what it does, but it's part of the ECU shut down/going to sleep...or something like that. Surprised/not surprised they didn't know that one.
I even had a service writer tell me about it when my car was in for service.

"Hey, just so you know... the needles on your gauges aren't even"

What? Not even?

"Yeah, we don't know what it is or if it's anything, but I figured I'd tell you... the needles in the gauge pod move around when the car is off."

Yeah... the car does that.

"Ok... as long as you're cool with it. I was just letting you know"

Thanks

kinda weird.

·
Registered
768 Posts
MY car is a 17 ST1 and I have none of the issues you have mentioned.
Everyone has #4...you just have to give it a couple minutes before you see it. If you jump out of the car right away, you'll miss it. It goes through that cycle several minutes after shutdown, AFTER the radio and everything is off, and doors are closed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I even had a service writer tell me about it when my car was in for service.

"Hey, just so you know... the needles on your gauges aren't even"

What? Not even?

"Yeah, we don't know what it is or if it's anything, but I figured I'd tell you... the needles in the gauge pod move around when the car is off."

Yeah... the car does that.

"Ok... as long as you're cool with it. I was just letting you know"

Thanks

kinda weird.
It seems that the Ford service guys know terrifyingly little about the products they are supposed to be fixing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
#4 is normal, my 2014 does it too. Modern computerized cars do all kinds of unexpected stuff. Take it off your list.

I would guess #1 has to do with the steering wheel volume control - either the switch is defective, or possibly an intermittent wiring issue. Not sure what is involved in disassembling to inspect it. Might well require airbag removal - not a big deal if you know the procedure.

#2 sounds exciting - in a bad way. I'd get a flashlight and look for FOD debris (penny or whatnot) in the seat tracks and mechanism. Should not be that hard to figure this one out.

Did you purchase the car new or used?
WOW thanks for the responses everyone! Life got crazy again and it took me a minute to get back here...

I bought my car new, however it did have 86 miles on it and was transferred in from another dealer. Great to know that 2 of these aren't unheard of!

As for my seat - I have not been able to spot anything in the tracks it just seems really sloppy. My permanent corrective action has just been to wiggle around in it before going anywhere and if it doesn't move it tends to be good.

I forgot to mention wierd quirk #5

5. My car has this weird issue where when you press the gas pretty hard, smoke comes from the tires

anyone else have this issue :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
It seems that the Ford service guys know terrifyingly little about the products they are supposed to be fixing.
HELL NO!

They know damn well that it is going on, but couldn't give two ****s about fixing a minor thing like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
5. My car has this weird issue where when you press the gas pretty hard, smoke comes from the tires

That's a defect for sure. I would have the dealer check your right foot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

That's a defect for sure. I would have the dealer check your right foot.
They informed me my left foot was an accomplice to the crime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts