Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
follow up on thread i started a few days back, didnt want you all to think i ran away- sorry guys, new to focusst.org didnt know a locked thread could occur ive been super busy at work- to answer all of your questions, car went in with stock air intake. no tune. the tune wasnt even downloaded onto my car it was just on the accessport. really wanted to wait for 30,000 warranty to be up and to purchase a FMI before doing any drastic tuning. with accessort i monitor AFR, temps, boost pressure, and the issue im running into is that they claim they can see it was flashed since the port was placed on- im only updating this story to help any other owners with similar issues. running around the internet ive found an interestingly large amounnt of similar cases, both with aftermarket work and without. Now, the file is being submitted with ford again. we shall see where i end up regarding such, either way im willing to go to court over it and see where i end up since i have a family lawyer that is willing to help my case. I just have lots of paper work stating i had issues before any work was done and that is currently my only foot to stand on. I will be staying on top of this thread so feel free to chime in i will make sure it stays open.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you purchased a brand new car with a warranty, ran into issues before 20,xxx miles then drove with the simplest bolt ons possible would you blame the engine failure on yourself or on the company? if they present me with a solidifed reason as to why this is happening clearly I would be mature on the matter and fix the issue myself. I though, am fully aware if they want to claim aftermarket work was the issue, they must state what it is that wrong and also how that caused a total engine failure. They arent even sure what the issue is yet and never actually submitted the claim, just told me it was denied before attempt. Hence why i am in my current position.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For your question is everyone sue happy- when you all have relatively similar issues (ive spoken to a few individuals with similar fourth cylinder misfiring issues anywhere from 20-45,xxx miles, stock and tuned. If you dont believe me go search google, thats all ive been doing for weeks. Not here to argue with people just have a discussion.) Anyways, the best option is to do this so other individuals dont get sucked into spending $6,000 on a swap for no reason. I can only imagine that a few poor suckers paid out on an engine they couldve had replaced under warranty after short analysis of the situation. considering phasing out the 2.0 ecoboost is already in discussion, I wouldnt be surprised if Ford realized quickly that the engine is having multiple common issues.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm curious to know in what matter did your engine let go? During normal driving or during a WOT event? Did you have any indication leading up to the engine blowing that something just wasn't right? I'm not looking to place blame on the OP or Ford, but I want to understand the situation better.

Reactions: InsertCleverName

·
Registered
163 Posts
The issue is heat. Heat kills ringlands.
From your description alone, you were running a tune on a stock intercooler. The KO3 is literally an over glorified hair dryer. The stock intercooler is not efficient at all and is severely heat soaked after a single pull.

The fact of the matter is, you were tuned, you got caught, and now you are boned. It is an awful thing to happen, but the fact of the matter is, they have you by the family jewels. Even in court, you made it simple for them to prove you used a calibration for the engine that was outside of the their approved parameters.

Did you leave the Accessport in the car and plugged in because that is the way I'm understanding the way its been written. Story is still a bit unclear when it comes down to this..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Complete normal driving. Never did any events with the car running laps never brought it to a track. I would clearly get on it every now and then but that's normal driving. As far as when I noticed I had an issue; anyone familiar with New York I was on 109. Bumper to bumper going about 10 mph and the car went into limp mode. So it wasn't directly after I red lined or anything

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car went in STOCK. no tunes no accesports on it nothing. I'm assuming they're saying it's been tuned by result of checking a flash counter. But no; no indications were in car to assume its been tuned

·
Registered
651 Posts
Car went in STOCK. no tunes no accesports on it nothing. I'm assuming they're saying it's been tuned by result of checking a flash counter. But no; no indications were in car to assume its been tuned
But didn't you just PM me saying it was a melted spark plug?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Complete normal driving. Never did any events with the car running laps never brought it to a track. I would clearly get on it every now and then but that's normal driving. As far as when I noticed I had an issue; anyone familiar with New York I was on 109. Bumper to bumper going about 10 mph and the car went into limp mode. So it wasn't directly after I red lined or anything
Those times you did get on it, were you in 3rd or 4th gear like is recommended or did you floor it in 5th or 6th? Did you ever monitor your negative corrections and/or cylinder knock during a WOT pull via your AP? No previous check engine light or faults? How long had it been since your last oil change? Regular or synthetic?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
response to deadlybreakdown- This is what ford tech told me. i never saw this personally. they also swapped out my coil packs and I was not aware until I myself went under the hood and found that the coil pack was replaced, it was never listed in my service papers. Im assuming they knew there was an issue and figured that would solve it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if I was getting on it, It would be short bursts inbetween say 2-5th never raping it from 1st through all gears. always was nervous to do this once i got tints because i had one speeding ticket under my belt. I alwyas brought it into service within a day of any check engine lights coming on. They'd come on for a day, then by time id bring the car to ford they would say there is no issue and send me on my way (sounds similar tobasically every other case ive read into regarding a faulty cylinder/misfire) only thing id say i noticed was loud injectors, but everyone claimed this was "normal"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you tried getting a hold of Ford customer service? Occasionally going over the dealers heads and getting a hold of their parent can get you a little further. You may not be able to get anywhere, but it never hurts to help... I didn't read your full post, so if you already did get a hold of Ford then carry on.

·
Registered
917 Posts
IMO you unfortunately had a ticking time bomb from day one. As in it wasn't a matter of if your engine, stock or tuned, was going to blow, but just when. I have almost 89K on my 2013, tuned since around 30K. I've always driven mine spiritedly especially on the amazing mountain and canyon roads in SoCal the 3 years I lived out there. I've run full synthetic since my first oil change and always keep a close eye on the pertinent parameters via my AP. I've only recently experienced an engine light and CEL, but it is nothing serious. In your case it sounds like you had check engine lights from the get go and your service department failed to see or ignored the possibility that there was a major underlying issue. Anyway, best of luck and don't let this experience discourage you completely.

Reactions: Joecast44

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Do t pull the lawyer card till absolutely necessary. Don't even speak of your intentions. As soon as you do the dealer is done with you. Then you have no choice. But car dealerships don't usually win. I work in one ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am very friendly with my dealer; if anyone thought id go after them that is not my intentions. They are good honest people. I believe they did not intentionally do anything wrong. I would be going agter FOMOCO for denying my claim. but yes burnboy you are correct thank you!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts