Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about these engines wont last but 50k with 320 hp or more. Guy said hwe had a big turbo barring close to 400 hp and he blew it right around 50k. Whats the thresh hold for Hp/longivity with these? will they fall apart like the 302s did when hitting 350 hp plus range? How long (miles) have yall big turbo guys been running yours , at what HP?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
It all depends on tune. My motor had exactly 50000 miles on it when my car got smashed. I tuned the stock turbo, modified stock turbo, fuel system and big turbo. It had a gt2860rs maxed out and was pushing 375 whp as my daily beater. No bullsh!t I did over a 1000 datalogs, 75 dyno runs, drag raced it and 20 plus canyon runs/meets. I beat the hell out of that motor everyday. When the car got wrecked the motor ran fine and showed a little bearing wear. The motor became a 2.3 and doing fine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
there is no 100% answer to this.

The motors if taken care of and driven properly with a proper tune seem to have very little issues. both of our shop cars have never had a engine failure. Autocross, datalogs for testing, drag racing, street racing etc no issues :)

I would be happy to talk more in depth about this via email or pm and see if we can help achieve your goals while maintaining reliability.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My motor made it to 36k but I also treat it like a red headed step child. Road course racing, street racing, launches and e30 for its whole life. Car had 405 to the wheels on the big turbo for 1 month before it blew. I'm not trying to scare you to not go big turbo. But just warning you to have a nice rainy day fund for that motor build

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have 51k on my '14 ST with 2867r + WMI ( and now + e20 too) and it's never skipped a beat. The big turbo was added in first 8k miles. Believe me, the smile factor is awesome. I commonly catch myself saying out loud "damn this car is fast..."!

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
We have had stock motors blow, low mileage and high, tuned motors blow low mileage and high, and big turbo motors blow with the same parameters (that we know). There are so many variables its not even funny. I have been tune with full bolt ons for over 50k now and not ever an issue (knocks on wood). I have thought about big turbo as well, and I might blow a motor, but I also might blow one stock or otherwise. As you put more stress on a motor the risk increases but the exact percentage varies with each and every car. This goes for any platform you talk about. Is the risk worth the reward to you? Are you out of warranty so it doesn't matter regardless like me? There are so many things we can pick apart with this question and it will all come down to chance, and what you personally want to do.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My motor made it to 36k but I also treat it like a red headed step child. Road course racing, street racing, launches and e30 for its whole life. Car had 405 to the wheels on the big turbo for 1 month before it blew. I'm not trying to scare you to not go big turbo. But just warning you to have a nice rainy day fund for that motor build
Because you didn't learn the first time.

Dead Hook put a video up on You Tube. Russ specifically said on the stock fuel system not to go over 360 hp with ethanol blends with vdyno logs to prove it. They only showed you it could do 400 whp because it was possible but with serious caveats.

Sistomper built his own 4 port injector setup specifically to combat this.

You did 405 which is only possible on ethanol since you bought the Speed by Design Red Kit (GTX2867). It can be done with water-methanol because the methanol is fuel and plenty have done so.

So your engine problems are strictly USER RELATED

This is the same person that tried to tell me who tunes doesn't matter #Discredited

Reactions: alexbright

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was reading about these engines wont last but 50k with 320 hp or more. Guy said hwe had a big turbo barring close to 400 hp and he blew it right around 50k. Whats the thresh hold for Hp/longivity with these? will they fall apart like the 302s did when hitting 350 hp plus range? How long (miles) have yall big turbo guys been running yours , at what HP?
I'm at 47k with 417whp I've had a BT on it for almost 30k. I always drive on my "race" tune. I beat on it daily. I do 5,000rpm launches on slicks. Like what has been mentioned, keep up on maintenance, find a good tuner that knows their stuff and watch your logs. I have AFR, boost and all 4 ign cyl correction up on my AP at all times to monitor.

·
Registered
808 Posts

Dead Hook put a video up on You Tube. Russ specifically said on the stock fuel system not to go over 360 hp with ethanol blends with vdyno logs to prove it. They only showed you it could do 400 whp because it was possible but with serious caveats.

You did 405 which is only possible on ethanol since you bought the Speed by Design Red Kit (GTX2867). It can be done with water-methanol because the methanol is fuel and plenty have done so.

This is the same person that tried to tell me who tunes doesn't matter #Discredited
. I had/still have the aux fuel on e30 with my sbd blue turbo and it was user related which is why I stated I treat the car like a red headed step child cause it gets beat on very hard daily. I was smiling when I blew the motor. But thanks for trying :)

·
Registered
808 Posts

. I had/still have the aux fuel on e30 with my sbd blue turbo and it was user related which is why I stated I treat the car like a red headed step child cause it gets beat on very hard daily. I was smiling when I blew the motor. But thanks for trying
Also trying to figure out when the first time was? Cause this was my first motor that I went through and don't think I've ever talked to you either

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not gonna beat a dead horse over the subjectivity of this question but my 2867 .86 with an E40 tune has been making between 350-420hp through the tuning process for 25000 miles so far with zero issues on the motor...just one roasted stock clutch ?.

I've been running at ~400hp with a Stage 4 clutch and limited slip diff for 10,000 miles with no issues on the stock motor/trans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts