Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving Dan's Focus ST I felt that it could benefit greatly from a short throw shifter. The throw is really long and makes shifting fast (or power shifting) very difficult.

Anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I miss my short throw shifter from my RX8. At first I would agree with you, but I'm getting used to it. I think that it sits a little too far to the right. It seems that it could be a little closer to my knee. Plus, the arm rest should slide forward a little bit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
hmm...hope there is one soon.

I have an MGW shifter on my mustang and its sick.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Makes me wonder why manufacturers think that enthusiasts don't have the strength to handle a short shift lever.
Is the lever on the ST the same as on all the other Foci (Plural of Focus?) with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm looking at pictures of the ST's interior and it seems to me that the shifter is short enough. Is it that the throw is too long?

·
Registered
173 Posts
lol silver :popped out: thats the point of the thread. honestly when i sat in the st for the first time i thought the shifts were pretty well spaced not ridiculously long but not so short missing a shift will be common. the other short throw shifters will not work btw because of the reverse lock out function of the 6sp mt unfortunately so all who want one will need to wait i guess

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
I think the transmissions are different; don't know what was offered on the 2012, but I think the ST is a Getrag.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wonder what company will make one soon?

Being a mustang guy i only know of Steeda, MGW, Pro5.0...honestly thats all i remember, lol its still early morning. I wish MGW would branch out of Mustangs, vipers, vettes and camaros because i absolutely love it in my mustang.

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
I like pretty much anything with the Roush name on it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a definite mod. Haven't got my ST yet, but I will probably plan on doing this. I made my own short throw shifter on my MazdaSpeed 3 simply by cutting and welding...make sure you have a spare first before doing this because you only get one shot :)

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
This is a definite mod. Haven't got my ST yet, but I will probably plan on doing this. I made my own short throw shifter on my MazdaSpeed 3 simply by cutting and welding...make sure you have a spare first before doing this because you only get one shot :)
Having driven with the factory shifter for a week now, I can see that for good 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, a short throw is going to be a necessity.

Reactions: Carolina Boy

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be cutting and welding my shift lever :) lol
I'd love to try one out though, see the difference. I like the stock shift knob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
COBB makes some excellent STS products for the Subaru market. Looks like they have a ST development car, so hopefully they will come out with something.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts