Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 ST, and usually I replace the fuel filter every 20.000 mi. I noticed that around 7K mi ago I did the replacement, and now, when I noticed that it won't drive as it's supposed to, I took it to the service again. And.... they had to replace a filter again, as it's again clogged! I know that the reason may be fuel quality and stuff, but I buy gas as everyone else at the stations, and it seems like getting a new filter every 7K mi is way too frequently. So I was wondering, what should I look into to eliminate this (except of the fuel quality haha... that's something I cannot change, to my regret).

I was wondering, maybe someone here had such kind of problem? What did you do? How did you fix it? :big smile:
Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Car (2013 ST) doesn't have a fuel filter...
Yeah and the fact he changes this "filter" each 20k miles is odd and has me wondering if he is getting it confused with something else.

The cabin filter is a 20k mile basis change, but SURELY that isn't what he's describing lol.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Typically the bag on the pickup is not the filter; well, not the only filter. Most cars with in tank pumps have that bag as the initial screen, but then have an additional filter somewhere. Not saying the filter isn't in the tank, just saying not likely that prefilter is the only filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I bought it used with around 40K on it, and was under impression that it's 2012... checked the VIN yesterday and it's really 2013, so that's my bad... And you know, I am not that into cars, so that's why asked your folks advise... I know that the filter is in the tank, and that is what gets clogged... I was told that the filter had to be replaced every 20K, so that's wat I did, and after the first replacement the problem occurred... Yesterday took it to the other station, and they told me that there are 2 fuel line connectors which do not attach well, hense the debris in fuel. I guess I will have to pick a couple of connectors so that they could fix it (https://www.carid.com/fuel-line-connectors/)....
Anyways thans for the replies, and sorry....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
DO you 'top-off' the tank when you fill-up? Stop at the first click.. do not overfill.
The evaporator can become fouled if the tank is topped-off, and would produce the same symptoms as a clogged filter. That would need to be replaced.
Check the Evap-system, and do not over-fill the gas tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actually, Ford, along with a few other manufacturers, has stopped putting external filters on gasoline engines. The filter on the pump is the only fuel filter on the vehicle. We got a lot of questions when it was announced a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
DO you 'top-off' the tank when you fill-up? Stop at the first click.. do not overfill.
The evaporator can become fouled if the tank is topped-off, and would produce the same symptoms as a clogged filter. That would need to be replaced.
Check the Evap-system, and do not over-fill the gas tank.
I can't even top off this car like other cars. If it clicks and I try to add even a drop more I hear the release open and gas hit the ground by my feet lol. When she's full she's full.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts