Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Having a few issues and was looking for some insight.

1 - Just got an alignment, Everything is within spec and acceptable(green) except for camber in the rear, its at about -2.5, yet the steering wheel is still not center and car still pulls right slightly. I have MPSS on the car with the correct amount of air pressure, all tires are even. Perhaps a sensor or something more intricate than just the alignment has to be done for the steering wheel to be 100% center, its about 5-10* to the left when I have the car going straight.

2 - When I brake, the steering wheel will pull to the left or right sometimes rather aggressively. My brakes are functioning normally, nothings seizing or locking up. Pads have about 25% life left (37k on the odo) Could this be uneven brake wear? Or is this just something that happens with FWD cars? I only notice this happening relatively recently.

Appreciate any help guys n gals.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Has your steering wheel ever been removed?
If no: I would center your steering wheel, and align the front Toe on your own. (this can be done with a tape measure, you wont get Bang on, but you will get close enough to drive it) After doing so, take it to a place that is known for doing a good job with alignments. Ask them to inform you if anything is at the limits of its adjustment, replace components if needed.

As for your braking: You have a 2014, I would for the sake of it do a full brake bleed, inspect the pads to insure they are wearing straight, and lube up those slide pins.

Properly working brakes should stop you straight.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you know if the shop that did your alignment also checked the caster angle? A difference in caster will create a pull to one side and I know that not all shops test this when they do alignments! What area are you from?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has your steering wheel ever been removed?
If no: I would center your steering wheel, and align the front Toe on your own. (this can be done with a tape measure, you wont get Bang on, but you will get close enough to drive it) After doing so, take it to a place that is known for doing a good job with alignments. Ask them to inform you if anything is at the limits of its adjustment, replace components if needed.

As for your braking: You have a 2014, I would for the sake of it do a full brake bleed, inspect the pads to insure they are wearing straight, and lube up those slide pins.

Properly working brakes should stop you straight.
Never taken the steering wheel off. Ill bring it back and let them know that its still not aligned correctly. I have the before and after of when I got it aligned.

Do you know if the shop that did your alignment also checked the caster angle? A difference in caster will create a pull to one side and I know that not all shops test this when they do alignments! What area are you from?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
Yeah they adjusted everything. I can upload the alignment sheet once I take a picture of it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
First off, was the alignment done AT a Ford dealer? Does that Ford dealer have a small prtable machine for alignment, or a permanent four wheel built in? IS the tech actually 'certified' to DO alignments?

The usual case at a tire and lube place is whatever idiot they hired..Same is true at some dealers service places.
So just saying 'I got an alignment' is like saying "I let some fool off the street monkey with my alignment'. (but I am certain the dude got at least a five minute training by someone who go the same from the previous dude working the equipment)
I would NEVER allow anyone to do ANY alignment check or whatever unless I was certain he was totally qualified to do the work.
The off center steering wheel is proof the person was in a hurry, and did not care.
If the car pulls to one side on a flat surface, and pulls when you brake. Something is bent.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Qualified to do an alignment? Lol, you just need to know how to operate the computer and mount the sensors...
Computer literally tells you how to do everything, including the tools needed... assuming they have a newish machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts