Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gotta love the public

I noticed this as leaving Walmart in Lloydminster Sat Jan 6. I was also at the super store but I noticed this pretty quick so I am pretty sure care was fine until I got to the Walmart. I specifically park carefully, far back & straight in the middle. Not bragging just noting.

Well that did not prevent some idiot from scraping into me.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Worst part is i have a dash cam hard wired to be on when the car is off. I use a power magic pro that cuts off power if battery drops too low. My battery should not of been too low, problem is the device also gives option to have camera on/off with car, or stay on when car is off. Guess what setting I had it on??... Plus I was dumb enough to drive away right away in a fury, rather than take a look at the vehicle parked right beside me. I only got myself to blame about these things though.

I can afford/ignore the damage, it just drives me bananas thinking about some ****ing terrible person who think it is okay to drive like a monkey is out there once again seeing no consequences for it. This person should be jailed for hit & run, to a minor degree anyways. That is what really makes me mad about this.

Anyways came here to rant. But also hoping for some expert advice. I can go to a body shop for those scratches... its should only be a couple hundred bucks I hope. But the ****ing headlight, those are $1000+ to replace right? Maybe there is an epoxy that smoothes out the scratches?

edit: sorry pics are sideways, tried everything if you click into full detail they appear right for me anyways.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
788 Posts
That sucks man. Can you go back and see if any cameras were there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Get an estimate and if it is more than your deductible call your insurance company. This is a hit and run covered under your collision coverage.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get an estimate and if it is more than your deductible call your insurance company. This is a hit and run covered under your collision coverage.
Was not planning on it but now I think I will. Does not hurt to at least look into it.

I agree that is probably the only way Walmart would fork up camera footage too, so its all I can do besides gripe on the internet lol.

Reactions: BCE22

·
Registered
76 Posts
I feel your pain. I have similar damage on my car, don't know who did it, not going to repair it, and its not as severe as yours. Mine does not impact the headlight. As for the headlight, on my previous car, I used a headlight repair product, you can get it from Headlight Restoration | Headlight Cleaner I used it because the lights on my Acura RSX became hazy. I tried a number of products before this one, always being disappointed, but this one works. The best part is it is guaranteed for life. For me, it would last for about two years, and then I would contact the company, and they would send me another package. I actually communicated directly with the president of the company. Anyway, the whole process was a bit nerve-racking the first time, since it involves wet-sanding the lens, but after having done it, I was very happy with the results. You end up applying a new outer layer to the headlight that is crystal clear. If it is humid, wait a week or more before washing the car to make sure it sets properly. Don't know if this info is helpful. Good luck.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The HID headlights are about $2100 a pop brand new. Unless you have a $2000 deductible, you may just want to go through the insurance if you have coverage. You can try to fix the damage as much as possible but you may not be able to do all of it yourself.

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
The HID headlights are about $2100 a pop brand new. Unless you have a $2000 deductible, you may just want to go through the insurance if you have coverage. You can try to fix the damage as much as possible but you may not be able to do all of it yourself.
With as dirty as the car is I can't tell if the headlight is damaged. Looks like just the bumper cover. Depending of the scuff it might just buff out. If it's deep a repaint will be needed.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dang that sucks. I had that plus 2 door dings on my Cobalt that I drove for 5 years. It's just inevitable in parking lots and parallel parking because people are morons and don't pay attention and don't care when they hit someone because most likely they don't care about their car as much as you care about yours.

With my ST, I try and park in the back of lots because this is going to happen one day if I don't.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
With as dirty as the car is I can't tell if the headlight is damaged. Looks like just the bumper cover. Depending of the scuff it might just buff out. If it's deep a repaint will be needed.

I agree it is dirty, I took er out for a bath.

NowI learned the damage is also on the lower part of the bumper too.
IMG_0051.jpg

And the headlight is definitely scratched up pretty good. Managed to capture the detail in this picture.

IMG_0055.jpg

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree it is dirty, I took er out for a bath.

NowI learned the damage is also on the lower part of the bumper too.
View attachment 302002

And the headlight is definitely scratched up pretty good. Managed to capture the detail in this picture.

View attachment 302018
I don't know, man. The headlight damage may be hard to fix as well as the paint damage. You be able to buff out the scratches but if you can't, it'll need paint and I personally wouldn't trust myself to recreate the flake in the paint. If I were you, I'd try to go through my insurance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
People suck. I'm sorry that happened.

Some idiot scraped my fender a couple of days ago over about a 3" area.

What's more annoying is I've had people bump my car with their door, bump into my mirror trying to squeeze between my car and theirs, etc. No one has ever noticed me in the car but generally there's no reaction or care on their behalf or they realize it and quickly scoot away.

I remember one time in college I watched a lady trying to park her conversion van contact an Excursion enough to rock the entire truck. She looked and quickly found another spot further down. I confronted her about it and man you couldn't play and dumber than this woman.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
This is an insurance claim. It is why you have collision coverage on your vehicle. As a hit and run it most likely won't cause an increase in your premium. Get an estimate or two soon then call your insurance company.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Too bad his insurance will jack up his rates even though it isn't his fault.

Not necessarily. I work for a P & C company and can say that it won't necessarily raise his rates. It is very state dependent. He lives in Canada so rules can be different (hell, in the States insurance rules differ state to state). None the less, this scenario is one of the reasons you purchase comp and collision coverage rather than just liability.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you don't feel like going the insurance route and have a DA polisher, most of this should polish out. It's hard to tell in the pictures how deep it is, and I can tell from the pictures there are parts that look to be deeper than the clear-coat, but you might be able to live with 2-3 scratches apposed to how it sits now. Just an option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a similar thing happen to me. Some idiots decided to go hood hopping in a local mall parking garage. I didn't notice my smashed hood until I got home. Fortunately, I had a dash cam!

But no- turns out it never turned on to record the incident, even though the parking monitor feature was turned on. It somehow managed to record about 3 minutes before, and 30 seconds after, but no dice for what I needed. Just replacing the hood with an OEM part was $800 without labor, so I went with insurance :(

Just commiserating..

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
The headlight cover can be repaired by using progressively finer sandpaper and then finish with rubbing compound and then polishing compound. There may be some of the deeper scratches that don't come out, but they will be hard to see once everything has been sanded and polished.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts