Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently had a bigger turbo installed, BNR 2867, and I've noticed a bit of smoking when starting the vehicle up. It will clear once the car warms up but it smokes really bad for the first couple minutes. It will also smoke a tiny bit also after driving it for a bit but that's a faint amount of smoke. Definitely an oil burning smell, not coolant related.

I used ATP oil/coolant line kit and it came with a .035 oil restrictor fitting. Now to my understanding, journal bearing turbos do not need a restrictor and it can actually be harmful but I've put probably close to 500 miles on this turbo and it hits full boost no problem. No smoking at WOT only when I come to idle/start the car (after it's been sitting for a while).

This BNR turbo kit was supposed to be able to reuse all OEM fittings so I don't think my oil drain is the issue (stock still). I've added a catch can to relieve some of the crankcase pressure which cleared up some of the smoke but as stated above, the issue is still persistent.

I'm not too sure what else I could try at this point. I've heard that routing the oil line to create an "oil trap" can also solve the issue but I don't think the ATP kit has enough line to create that. Any ideas?

I will try and take some pictures today showing how the oil lines are routed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently had a bigger turbo installed, BNR 2867, and I've noticed a bit of smoking when starting the vehicle up. It will clear once the car warms up but it smokes really bad for the first couple minutes. It will also smoke a tiny bit also after driving it for a bit but that's a faint amount of smoke. Definitely an oil burning smell, not coolant related.

I used ATP oil/coolant line kit and it came with a .035 oil restrictor fitting. Now to my understanding, journal bearing turbos do not need a restrictor and it can actually be harmful but I've put probably close to 500 miles on this turbo and it hits full boost no problem. No smoking at WOT only when I come to idle/start the car (after it's been sitting for a while).

This BNR turbo kit was supposed to be able to reuse all OEM fittings so I don't think my oil drain is the issue (stock still). I've added a catch can to relieve some of the crankcase pressure which cleared up some of the smoke but as stated above, the issue is still persistent.

I'm not too sure what else I could try at this point. I've heard that routing the oil line to create an "oil trap" can also solve the issue but I don't think the ATP kit has enough line to create that. Any ideas?

I will try and take some pictures today showing how the oil lines are routed.
Did you fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you fix it?
Yes! When I dove into the setup, I discovered that the shop used a gasket maker for the oil return tube. This clogged the hole to about 30% capacity. I had the turbo checked and the owner of BNR went through and rebuilt it for me (for free) to ensure no other issues would be present. Reinstalled myself and the issue cleared up. This time I bought new OEM lines and hooked them up. Boosting happily now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear, just ordered the 2867, what fuel and tuner are you using?
93/e30 tune by JST. I’ll also be adding aux fuel into the mix this year as well to push it a little harder. That should push me into the low 400s without overworking the fuel system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
93/e30 tune by JST. I’ll also be adding aux fuel into the mix this year as well to push it a little harder. That should push me into the low 400s without overworking the fuel system.
Very nice! Any tips you can give with the install or any pics that would be helpful?

·
Registered
14 cobb ap strat tune 93 Oct FBO IMspacer catchcans pcvplate oilcooler coilovers shortshifter rmm
93 Posts
I'm interested in the same info... Planning on buying one before the summer. Glad to hear your issue got resolved and that bnr stood by their product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts