Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well crap. I finally think I figured out the proper firmware/EEPROM/Pictures file combination to add the quad screen on the early 2013 models. I fired up FoCCCuS and uploaded my first .vbf file. At 99%, it failed, and now the IPC and SYNC touchscreen have gone dark. I get errors when reading or re-writing to the IPC ("can't identify ECU", "Error during loading VBF", "Can't connect to ECU", etc.). Even FORSCAN isn't recognizing the IPC any more.

I set switch to MM-CAN through to MS-CAN and CAN timeout to 36ms. I reliably connect with auto and maximize checked, and it sets a baud rate of 500000. I am using a popular ELM-327 cable with the MS-CAN/HS-CAN switch that most people pick up on amazon.

I tried re-uploading the firmware file about 30 times and finally got past the secondary boot loader stage. It's trying to upload again right now, but are there any tips I can use to reliably talk to this IPC?

So yeah.. this is disastrous already

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Kudos to you for digging into this, and my apologies up front for being no help at all...but you know how when you are getting a royal @$$ chewing from your significant other, and your eyes kinda glaze over, her voice starts sounding like Charlie Browns teacher and your brain wanders out into the garage because you think you ran out of shop rags the last time you changed the oil???

...that’s what happens to me when I get about 3 sentences in on these threads ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I think I recovered. 10th time's the charm - after getting to 99% and failing with a myriad of setting changes, I think I may finally have one that makes this crappy ELM327 stable. Firmware updated successfully, and EEPROM updated on the first shot. Got my IPC cluster back, but splash screen was blank (obviously expecting a newer pictures file).

Now on to that huge picture file. Crossing my fingers that this won't be another 10 attempts at 5-6 hours each....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And 3 hours later, FoCCCus crashes. Back in brick land

·
1,732 Posts
I'm here for emotional support. Sorry to hear this. You're kind of a pioneer here in this field, let us know what you come up with.

Reactions: jesse_sanders

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@TurboGT : Much appreciated. Sometimes it's helpful just to vent out loud :)

I'm currently on attempt number 5. The farthest I've got is 59% before encountering an error loading VBF, and this was downgrading to FoCCCus 0.8.5, which at least seemed to solve the crash of the program itself.

Trying now with a lower baud rate....

@UnfocusedST : I agree completely. I'm using a VINT-TT55502 ELM-327 cable that works perfectly with Forscan, but has been buggy as hell with FoCCCus. I was able to do the usual mods (global open/close, etc.) with it no problem, but writing these VBF files with it has been a nightmare. I'm still not sure if it's just bad software, or bad cable, or a poor match. I did read somewhere that FoCCCus plays more nicely with the STN family of chips, meaning I might have better luck with one of the OBDLink products...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used this for Forscan and focccus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That looks like the bluetooth version of the USB version I was thinking of picking up if I can't get this last file to write:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another failure at a lower baud rate, at 59%. Strange that it seems to keep failing at roughly the same spot

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10+ fails. I can not seem to make it past 59%, no matter what I change up. I've tried multiple baud rates, MS-Can timeouts, COM port settings, etc. Changed up which USB port I use, even changed up operating systems and still the same result. It looks like my inexpensive ELM-327 clone is not up to this task. I went ahead and ordered both an OBDLink-EX, and a bluetooth OBDLink-MX. I am probably spending just as much money as a dealer would charge for this update now, but damnit I'm determined to figure this out.

For future reference, I was able to get the firmware and calibration/EEPROM files to flash by setting (under COM port settings in Windows device manager) transmit and receive FIFO buffers to low. This solved the crashing at 99% issue for these files. This was done on an ancient MacBook pro running Windows XP via Parallels.

I should also specify that I'm currently in a state of "partially bricked IPC" - It's worth noting that with the firmware properly flashed, the gauges still work. It's the center display that's black due to the failed Pictures file flashes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't get past erasing flash memory step on either OBDLink EX, or OBDLink MX

This is extraordinarily frustrating

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another day of failures.

I had high hopes for the OBDLink EX (USB), as it's relatively new and I was hoping that newer STN architecture would play nicely with FoCCCus. While it does seem to work impressively with Forscan (after all, it was designed with it in mind), it's been failure after failure with FoCCCus. Although it will read from the IPC no problem and doesn't seem to run into too many init failures, it just simply won't write this large pictures file. Secondary boot loader loads, but it fails on erasing flash memory 100% of the time. Drivers are updated, I updated the EX's firmware, I played with COM port settings, making sure timeout is 1 or 2 ms as suggested on the inter webs. Still can't get past erasing flash memory.

I am using an old MacBook Pro, but I've tried everything in Windows XP via parallels, Windows 7 via parallels, and booting natively into XP via boot camp. Still no luck.

The OBDLink MX bluetooth is much of the same, if not with an extra layer of frustration (and a reminder of how much I hate Windows). I thought this would be the expensive-but-foolproof way to do this, as multiple users on different forums (notably focus fanatics) reported successfully flashing the all of the IPC files with this device. I duplicated the many settings reported there (MS-Can timeout 36ms, different baud rates, etc.) and this produced the same exact result as the EX - I can't get past erasing flash memory. I read somewhere that onboard bluetooth might be an issue, so I bought a $20 Insignia bluetooth 4.0 dongle at Best Buy. After windows-related frustrations, I finally got it to pair with the OBDLink MX, only to encounter the same wall. $130 in useless equipment.

So the cheapest cable, my VINT-TT55502 ELM327 clone, has still been the most successful, and I still can't get past 59% writing of the picture file. Interestingly, it seems to crash more often than not at exactly the same part, according to the log. I thought the file may be corrupted, so I re-downloaded it from Ford and used a different program to unzip it. Still the same - 59% is the absolute farthest I can get. I also tried a different picture file that should still be compatible with the firmware and EEPROM I flashed. Still no luck.

I'm at my wits end and could really use some creative thoughts here. I just ordered an OHP ELMconfig cable in the hopes that this kind of the ELM327 clone plays a little more nicely with FoCCCus, but I'm getting a little cynical at this point. I don't know how people were able to do this. Having changed up operating systems and equipment, it's safe to say that FoCCCus is far from a robust piece of software.

Any help is appreciated.

·
1,732 Posts
When you're having these crashes- have these all been attempts at the new software? Or does it crash at the same point attempting to re-load the old IPC file?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you're having these crashes- have these all been attempts at the new software? Or does it crash at the same point attempting to re-load the old IPC file?
All with the new file. My other thread bore no fruit over 7 months, so I had to move forward not knowing the name of the early builds' pictures file. Since I am having difficulty flashing two different newer files, it would be moot because I doubt the old one would write as well. Best way out of this is forward, if it's just as hard to go back.

I think it's safe to say that it's actually really hard to fully brick the IPC. I'm looking at 20-30 failed flashes on just the pictures file alone, and I was able to recover from the firmware file failed flashes. That's pretty much the only positive right now.

Oh and the startup chime has definitely changed. It's softer and a bit more pleasant. I suppose that sound is part of the firmware.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back-to-back uploads of two different picture files with the VINT-TT55502 ELM327 clone:

Both crashed after a string of almost identical entries in the log. So this eliminates any sort of random chance dropped packet, voltage change in the car, etc. The cable literally cannot get past this part, regardless of what operating system and COM port settings I use.

Very, very strange.

·
Registered
194 Posts
could it be possible that the files are corrupted? hence the failure at the exact same spot? is it possible to try another set of files? sorry, im not a software developer. but i hate reading this knowing your in a bricked situation. i'd be frustrated as hell too! lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
could it be possible that the files are corrupted? hence the failure at the exact same spot? is it possible to try another set of files? sorry, im not a software developer. but i hate reading this knowing your in a bricked situation. i'd be frustrated as hell too! lol
I considered that, since it's very odd that it's consistently hanging at that same spot. I re-downloaded it directly from ford here, so it definitely comes from the most reputable source. The only thing I could think of is that they give it to you as a zip file, and I downloaded it on a mac with Safari, which automatically unzips it. So I re-downloaded it with firefox and unzipped it with a different program (stuffit expander). Still hangs at the same spot. As I mentioned before, I also tried two different picture files that should be compatible with the new firmware and EEPROM, and even the other picture file stalls at the same spot.

Minor update, and more frustration: My OHP ELMConfig cable arrived today (I've been relying heavily on Amazon one-day shipping). This seems to be a higher quality ELM327 clone than my VINT-TT55502. Forscan showed a shorter min delay and lower CAN error. I was quite optimistic. FoCCCus connected right away with the OHP cable and passed the erase flash memory stage with ease.

... then it crashed at the same spot at 59%

So there you have it. FOUR different connection setups. Here's where I stand with my failures:

OBDLink's new EX cable - can't get past erase flash memory step
OBDLink MX (bluetooth) - can't get past erase flash memory step
VINT-TT55502 ELM327 - Runs for hours, crashes at 59%
OHP ELMConfig ELM327 - Runs for hours, crashes at 59%

I could really use some guidance. I'm at wit's end, and I've wasted most of my vacation working on this damned instrument cluster (and for what? A silly little ST logo and the quad screen). I ordered an ELS27 clone on Amazon and figured I'd try with something closer to what FoCCCus was actually designed with. I know clones are still a crapshoot, but I'd have to wait weeks to get a genuine one from Russia, and I'm already out a couple of hundred bucks on this project.

I can't fathom how others got this to work with OBDLink MX.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ashed after a string of almost identical entries in the log. So this eliminates any sort of random chance dropped packet, voltage change in the car, etc. The cable literally cannot get past this part, regardless of what operating system and COM port settings I use.

Very, very strange.
I don't know if you have tried this part or not, but I have had a lot of experience working with network and data center gear with rs232 interfaces and often, the "stop bit" or "flow control" causes issues.
Stop bit should almost always be set to "1", but I've found very rare instances where I had to change it.
Flow control, on the other hand, is hit and miss... try all 3 (none, x-on/x-off, and hardware) and see if it makes any difference. On the gear I have to deal with, it's usually "none" or "hardware". The flow control method is usually the problem with the gear I deal with.
You also cannot run the comm speed any higher than the receiving device or you will get crc errors and all sorts of weird stuff, but sounds like you've tried all those.
And sometimes, it's just a sh*tty emulator (you have an emulator). If you have an old PC with an actual real rs232 chip in it and a serial port, you could try to find an interface cable for that as well. the usb ones can be flaky at times, but real rs232 chips are rare these days.
So anyway, set the speed to whatever FoCCus suggests, and then try different flow control settings.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if you have tried this part or not, but I have had a lot of experience working with network and data center gear with rs232 interfaces and often, the "stop bit" or "flow control" causes issues.
Stop bit should almost always be set to "1", but I've found very rare instances where I had to change it.
Flow control, on the other hand, is hit and miss... try all 3 (none, x-on/x-off, and hardware) and see if it makes any difference. On the gear I have to deal with, it's usually "none" or "hardware". The flow control method is usually the problem with the gear I deal with.
You also cannot run the comm speed any higher than the receiving device or you will get crc errors and all sorts of weird stuff, but sounds like you've tried all those.
And sometimes, it's just a sh*tty emulator (you have an emulator). If you have an old PC with an actual real rs232 chip in it and a serial port, you could try to find an interface cable for that as well. the usb ones can be flaky at times, but real rs232 chips are rare these days.
So anyway, set the speed to whatever FoCCus suggests, and then try different flow control settings.
Thanks so much for your creative thinking (and expertise).

In every one of my attempts, "stop bit" has always been set to 1
I recall changing flow control to 'hardware' once or twice with my VINT cable with no success, so I have been keeping it back on none. I haven't tried it with the OHP, and I certainly haven't done x-on/x-off on any attempt. I don't know anything about flow control. When you say that the flow control method is usually the problem with the gear you deal with, are you referring to similar products that access OBDII ports?

As for the comm speed, that's interesting. I always have difficulty getting FoCCCus to start unless I have "auto" checked, and it always jumps the baud rate up to 500000 bps. I seem to remember getting it to connect with a manual setting once or twice, maybe at 152000bps? Your comment about crc errors is interesting. Isn't the MS-CAN bus a 125000bps thing? Should I try firing up FoCCCus at this speed? It also seems like whatever my port speed setting is in COM settings is irrelevant and FoCCCus just ignores it (default is 9600 bps FWIW).

I do have a 20-year-old Compaq presario with a serial port actually. I don't know anything about rs232 chips, is that part of the serial port?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts