Ford Focus ST Forum banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
There was a guy on here a while ago I don't remember who it was. Instead of a heavier shift knob. He had like seven pounds of LEAD under the shifty boot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There was a guy on here a while ago I don't remember who it was. Instead of a heavier shift knob. He had like seven pounds of LEAD under the shifty boot.
Ha... it has either gotten better with use or I'm getting used to it. I'll drive it another couple weeks and then try the bracket bushings. I have the cable end bushing with a weight on it from JBR also but that mod cannot be easily taken back so I'm holding off on that surgery.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ha... it has either gotten better with use or I'm getting used to it. I'll drive it another couple weeks and then try the bracket bushings. I have the cable end bushing with a weight on it from JBR also but that mod cannot be easily taken back so I'm holding off on that surgery.

I feel as though weighted shift bushings me smooth out the ship but it wouldn't necessarily make it shift easier if anything I would think you would have more resistance. That's more weight you have to get moving. where is a weighted shift knob you are holding in your hand and moving it therefore there's more power being applied to the shift cable.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Speaking of weighted knobs. I noticed the factory knob has a good amount of mass to it. I found a really nice ST knob for sale but found out it wasnt weighted. Has anyone run a lighter knob than stock and did it cause a noticeably negative effect? My shift setup is 100% stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speaking of weighted knobs. I noticed the factory knob has a good amount of mass to it. I found a really nice ST knob for sale but found out it wasnt weighted. Has anyone run a lighter knob than stock and did it cause a noticeably negative effect? My shift setup is 100% stock.
@TurboGT I have an FSWERKS shift plate at 40% reduction, and use an Acrylic (DragonBall) Shift Knob. The DragonBall is definitely lighter than the stock knob. I have not noticed what I would call a negative in my opinion, but it does add height to the shifter because i need the billet aluminum lockout adapter. There is resistance in the throws, but I dont think I'm using any more force than when using the stock knob.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
@TurboGT I have an FSWERKS shift plate at 40% reduction, and use an Acrylic (DragonBall) Shift Knob. The DragonBall is definitely lighter than the stock knob. I have not noticed what I would call a negative in my opinion, but it does add height to the shifter because i need the billet aluminum lockout adapter. There is resistance in the throws, but I dont think I'm using any more force than when using the stock knob.

Adding height gives you more leverage.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have the ford performance short shifter and the carbon fiber shifter, with boomba base and cable bracket bushings. I put all that in my car about 1500 miles after getting it home, i just couldnt srand factory hieght and shift length. The carbon fiber knob from what i can remember is alil lighter then the factory plastic knob. I havent had a single issue, and i actually like the lil resistance i may feel reminds me of driving an M3 where you feel each shift, and each gate as it enters the gear. Ive thought about short shift plates but i know when i had my 1g tsi talon as a 18yr old, the word was they messed up the trans because the ****er wouldnt move as far as into the gear as it was supposed to so itd ride on the edge of the teeth of a gear instead of being fully seated. That was prolly just scare tacttics or someshit...the only way of knowing would be to do a poll of whose had tranny issues as far as synchros and of those people who has had shifter plates and who hasnt....itd be interesting to know if there was an increase incidents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed a JBR short shift lever. I really like the height of the new lever. I feel like it puts my elbow in a more neutral position when I'm shifting. I first started with a 40% reduction, but the shifts felt too heavy. I've recently adjusted it to 10%, and it feels so much better. I also have a Shift Solutions 510g shift knob coming, so I'm interested to see what kind of difference that makes. Now I'm debating if I should spring for the cable end bushings. It sounds like--from reading this thread--the shifter plate and base bushings make a negligible difference.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I installed a JBR short shift lever. I really like the height of the new lever. I feel like it puts my elbow in a more neutral position when I'm shifting. I first started with a 40% reduction, but the shifts felt too heavy. I've recently adjusted it to 10%, and it feels so much better. I also have a Shift Solutions 510g shift knob coming, so I'm interested to see what kind of difference that makes. Now I'm debating if I should spring for the cable end bushings. It sounds like--from reading this thread--the shifter plate and base bushings make a negligible difference.

once you get that heavy or knob installed you be able to reduce the throw and not have it feel so heavy. In cable and bushings absolutely make a huge difference. I also have the cable bracket bushings and stuff. And I'v had the shifter base bushings for over a year I haven't installed them yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my weighted shift knob from Shift Solutions. It looks and feels great, and the price is hard to beat. I got a CS 510 in candy blue with gold sparkle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's the COBB Short Throw Shift Plate I have installed... Some of my mates don't like how it feels, but I love it. I've set it at the 40% throw reduction and it feels super sporty and direct, compared stock shifter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
  1. It's the COBB Short Throw Shift Plate I have installed... Some of my mates don't like how it feels, but I love it. I've set it at the 40% throw reduction and it feels super sporty and direct, compared stock shifter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I personally prefer the feel of the stock shifter knob... The "round ones" like the COBB, just don't feel comfortable to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
It's the COBB Short Throw Shift Plate I have installed... Some of my mates don't like how it feels, but I love it. I've set it at the 40% throw reduction and it feels super sporty and direct, compared stock shifter.
Yeah the Cobb is known to be very clunky, a shift arm replacement yeilds much better shifts and feel.

I hated my Cobb, so glad I ditched it years ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What you say makes perfect sense from what I've read... I love it how it is now, maybe I just don't know any better. My mate's 2016 Focus RS has one in as well, (a plate, not the actual shifter), so I have nothing to compare against what I love now... His son's 2014 Focus ST has the stock shifter/gearbox. He doesn't like the short throw.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
What you say makes perfect sense from what I've read... I love it how it is now, maybe I just don't know any better. My mate's 2016 Focus RS has one in as well, (a plate, not the actual shifter), so I have nothing to compare against what I love now... His son's 2014 Focus ST has the stock shifter/gearbox. He doesn't like the short throw.
Exactly!! It's a huge difference switching to trans side shifter arm, versus the bolt on plate. You just won't know it until you get to feel one for yourself. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone tried the torque solution short shift arm? I’m local to Rallysport Direct and looking to pick it up if it’s good. Otherwise I’ll buy the JBR one

201 - 220 of 231 Posts