Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tired of shifting like a trucker?

Afraid your A/C controls are going to eat a Falcon Punch?

Looking for some firmness instead of all that mush and over-travel?

You just stumbled onto the goldmine of shifter goodness.

Lets start off with the basics.

The ST has several areas that can be addressed in the name of better shifting.

The shift lever itself. This is where the knob is, right next to your seat.

2013 Ford Focus Manual Trans Shift Housing | FordParts.com

The shifter is in an assembly, and sold as one.

Currently there are three Shift lever upgrades. Aftermarket shift levers offer a shorter lever, and by moving the shift cable attachment points can reduce the overall throw(travel) of the shift lever. When reducing the overall height of the lever, you can create excess bagginess of the shift boot, which can impede the reverse lockout. There are aftermarket shift boots that can be ordered shorter to compensate for this. Just a friendly heads up!

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-7210-FST

FRPP, which replaces the entire shifter assembly, for a quick drop in install. Only 18 percent reduction in throw, non adjustable.

Steeda Focus ST Short Throw Shifter (13-16 ST) | 555-7241 - Free Shipping!

Steeda. It's just a lever, so install takes a bit more. Made from Aluminum, 3 positions, maxing at 44 percent reduction.

Ford Focus ST Short throw shifter

Boomba. Just a lever, made from heavy duty steel. 3 position, 10, 20 or 30 percent reduction. A crowd favorite around here.

Next up is shift plates/Arms.

Here is the factory shift arm.

2013 Ford Focus Manual Transaxle Assembly | FordParts.com

Ford does not sell it separate from a trans, but you can see it in this pic, lol.

You have quite a few options here.

Let's start with Full replacement arms.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/2363-BSA-AA

Mountune shift arm. 25 percent reduction, and removable weights for a bit of tuning. Not that anyone really removes them.

Product Store

The Breedt shift arm. Aluminum construction, 4 different positions.
P1 24% reduction plus moves shifter forward 25mm
P2 39% reduction plus moves shifer forward 25mm
P3 40% reduction stock shifter location
P4 25% reduction stock shifter location
Multiple colors.

Focus RS & ST short Shift Arm [FST-SSA] - $89.95 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance

JBR shift arm. Aluminum construction with 3 removable steel counter weights. 2 positions, 20 percent, or 40 percent.

TWM Performance shift arm, not currently a vendor, so I'm going to skip the link. I wouldn't look past this product at all though. It seems to be quite the functional piece.

Three position, 25, 40, 55 percent reduction, and adjustable counter weights.

Here comes the bolt-on plates.

Steeda Focus ST Short Throw Shifter Bracket (13-16 ST) 555-7242 - Free Shipping!

Steeda bolt on plate. 35 percent max reduction.

COBB Tuning - Focus ST Short Shift Plate

Cobb Tuning bolt on plate. 2 position, 30 and 40 percent reduction.

Ford Focus ST short shifter transmission adapter plate

Boomba Racing bolt on plate. Two position 20 or 30 percent reduction.

FSWERKS Short Shift Kit - Ford Focus ST 2013-2016, Focus RS 2016

FSwerks bolt on plate. 3 position. 20, 30, 40 percent reductions.

BUSHINGS!!!!

There are two sets of bushings. The bushings that the shift lever assembly sit on in the center consul, then the bushings that are on the shifter cable bracket on the transmission part 7474 in the following diagram.

2013 Ford Focus Manual Trans Shift Cable Mounting Bracket | FordParts.com

If you plan on doing a shift lever, then you should really consider doing the shifter base bushings while you are in there. It's well worth your time, and pulling apart the center consul can be a PITA, so why do it twice?

Most people will agree that the trans side shifter bushings had more of a dramatic effect on shifting then the shift lever bushings. I find this to be quite true.

I am only going to link the trans side bushings here, if you want the shifter base then take a gander on their sites. Be wary that some manufacturers don't use two piece aluminum, but use washers for one half of the equation.
This displeases Duece, but you may not care.

https://www.boosteddesigns.com/products/focus-st-transmission-cable-bracket-bushings

Boosted Designs!! In a glorious Purple.

Solid Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings [FST-CBL-BSH] - $26.85 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance

JBR, in bare/silver aluminum. Their shifter base bushings have washers on top. (Gross)

ALUMINUM SHIFTER BUSHINGS

Boomba Racing. Bare, Black, Red or blue. Two pieces for sure.

FSWERKS Aluminum Shift Bracket Bushing Kit - Ford Focus ST/Focus RS/Fiesta ST

FSwerks, Bare finish, and I'm not sure about shifter bushings, if they even make them.

Steeda Focus ST Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings (13-16 ST) 555-7061 - Free Shipping!

Steeda, silver. Two piece on both assemblies.

Torque Solutions, not a vendor here, black aluminum. IIRC their shifter base bushings came with washers on top (Ewwww).

Cable ends.

These literally replace the pivot end(s) on the transmission side of the shifter cables. This is the last bit of ground to eliminate squish. There are rubber insulators in those ends, that equate to lack of feel and over travel, in the name of "user comfort". I say "because racecar" and modify those bad boys. Both parts require irreversible destruction of your cable ends. So it is not for the faint of heart.

Currently I am aware of two options.

NTC bushing. Needless Torque Calibrations. Not a vendor, so no link.

Its a Urethane piece that gets inserted as the bottom half of the stock cable end (after splitting it open). It just replaces the end that sits on the shift arm of the trans. Friction holds it together. Danger of pop offs and/or losing the pivot cup of the cable assembly, resulting in the purchase of entire new shift cables. A newer material is used to combat this, but the possibility still exists.

Next is the Aluminum two piece cable ends by FastMKCparts off of ebay, who iirc works for Mueller Motorwerks. MMW is a vendor here, but I dare not post the link.

They are two piece cable ends that thread together sandwiching the factory shift cable "hoop". The kit replaces both cable ends on the transmission. Also is pretty indestructible, and has no way of losing the stock pivot cup, which is the only OEM part retained from demolishing the cable ends for this upgrade. Super noticeable in shift over travel reduction, and squish elimination.

There we go. A decent parts list.

I will update as necessary.

Here's the cable adjustment procedure. For those looking.

Shift cable adjustment for our vehicles in case anyone is wondering how is as follows.

Gearshift Cable Adjustment - 6-Speed Manual Transmission - MMT6

Position the gearshift in N and apply P brake.
View attachment 125896

Unlock the adjuster
View attachment 125897

Position the gearshifter in 4th gear.
NOTE: By placing the shift lever into the 4th gear position, it locks the small lever into the N position.
View attachment 125898

Lock the adjuster.
View attachment 125899

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is awesome! Thanks Duece. I have the 5-speed and was wondering if I could use any of the parts you mentioned?
Surely things like the shifter, the arm and the bushings can be used? It's for a 2013 Focus 2.0GDi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is awesome! Thanks Duece. I have the 5-speed and was wondering if I could use any of the parts you mentioned?
Surely things like the shifter, the arm and the bushings can be used? It's for a 2013 Focus 2.0GDi

Thats a great question. It doesnt appear that much will work, your trans is quite different. There is specific aftermarket for your application, I'm not versed enough to know 100 percent.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts

Nope, but your not out of luck. STEEDA makes a short throw shifter as does Ford Performance for the 5 speed in the non ST.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Now I want to buy the twm on just to make it that much shorter lol

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I want to buy the twm on just to make it that much shorter lol
I know, I'm about to test out the JBr (I have it, just not installed) against the breedt, then I may test out the TWM.

I have an addiction.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So in terms of actual effort to install what's the best option? I have pretty bad wrist problems so I take the path of least resistance as best I can.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
info overload

·
Registered
816 Posts
Very nice write up @Deuce McCracken. To my understanding a shift plate/arm will put more strain on the some shifter components because of the smaller distance needed to travel, which requires more force to be applied to get it to that distance. If I was to put in a short shifter (boomba) and just the shifter base bushings, will that give me a good shifter feel while not putting much strain on the shifter components?

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Very nice write up @Deuce McCracken. To my understanding a shift plate/arm will put more strain on the some shifter components because of the smaller distance needed to travel, which requires more force to be applied to get it to that distance. If I was to put in a short shifter (boomba) and just the shifter base bushings, will that give me a good shifter feel while not putting much strain on the shifter components?

Just about any "upgrade" to the shifting components mentioned in Mr. Deuce McCracken's post will make it feel better in some way, shape, or form. So there isn't much you can do that you won't like over stock. It might not be a night and day change because the stock system is actually really nice, but it'll feel better even with a different shaped knob of the same weight for example. I have the Boomba short shift plate and bushings and love the feel of it. I have a stock length arm and stock knob (Until xmas haha) and it's amazing.

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just about any "upgrade" to the shifting components mentioned in Mr. Deuce McCracken's post will make it feel better in some way, shape, or form. So there isn't much you can do that you won't like over stock. It might not be a night and day change because the stock system is actually really nice, but it'll feel better even with a different shaped knob of the same weight for example. I have the Boomba short shift plate and bushings and love the feel of it. I have a stock length arm and stock knob (Until xmas haha) and it's amazing.
Oh, but on the contrary, it is night and day when you do all the mods, lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So in terms of actual effort to install what's the best option? I have pretty bad wrist problems so I take the path of least resistance as best I can.
Well, most shifter mods will make the shift lever stiffer/harder to move. Not sure what circumstances aggravate your wrist.

Easiest things to install would be a bolt on shift plate, boomba I think may be the easiest to install. The cobb plate requires removing the shift arm, I forget if theres a way to work around removing the arm.

I find that shift arms perform better than bolt on plates, lighter more mechanical throws, and then you pick the throw reduction you want. But they require more labor.

Maybe there's a local member that can help you out with installs. We normally install parts for food and beer in these parts. Then you can take your shifter to whatever level you want, and not get too beat up to get it done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Movement is fine it's usually torquing/twisting actions that get me, especially on weird angles - so I can use a screwdriver or similar for a little while and then i'll seize up - and it becomes harder if i gotta reach deep in an engine bay to get er done.

And yeah I figured i'll likely reahc out to locals; will bring out the beer for it. (This backfired for me once when the guy was only 18 mind you... )

·
Registered
77 Posts
My biggest complaint is the angle of the shifter. I already have the Cobb shift plate. Coming from a Fiesta ST, it feels like the Focus ST shifter is angled more toward the passenger's side. Has anyone tried installing shims to angle the shifter toward the driver?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
About this Discussion
203 Replies
68 Participants
G heinrich
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing