Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw my title typo *know* lol

Im just curious as to what is the highest air charge temps anyone has seen on the stock intercooler. I got 188 today on a hard 1-4 pull from a stop light. Keep in mind im in Texas and ambient temp is around 100 and the humidity is through the roof today with storms in the area. So whats the highest you guys have seen? Needless to say intercooler is for sure the next item on my mods list for this car!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Just saw my title typo *know* lol

Im just curious as to what is the highest air charge temps anyone has seen on the stock intercooler. I got 188 today on a hard 1-4 pull from a stop light. Keep in mind im in Texas and ambient temp is around 100 and the humidity is through the roof today with storms in the area. So whats the highest you guys have seen? Needless to say intercooler is for sure the next item on my mods list for this car!
This is DEFINITELY not a record I would TRY to break...lol I've seen 180's here in PA for the short time I had the stock unit. And that was September of last year and some of the hot days leading into winter

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is DEFINITELY not a record I would TRY to break...lol I've seen 180's here in PA for the short time I had the stock unit. And that was September of last year and some of the hot days leading into winter
LMAO not trying to break any records! I promise lol. This was my first hard run since getting the AP. Just makes me want to get an intercooler that much more. This stock intercooler is an absolute joke!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I hitt in the 160's here in SoCal back when I had the stock IC on a 100 degree day. Upgrade your IC ASAP!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Some people have had great success just removing all the crap shrouding blocking the stock unit. Try that before buying a new one and see how that goes. I think that a lot of people get the impression it is **** because the put a much larger one in AND remove that shrouding. I am pretty sure if you shroud/cover even the best intercoolers you will end up with a large temp increase.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hmm... it may also depend on who’s tune you’re running.

When I was running Stratified, my charge temps on the OE cooler were usually right around ambient, but for some reason when I flashed back to Freektune, the charge temps went through the roof...

Now that I’ve installed my Depo 3.5 FMIC the numbers from Stratified are 5-7 degrees below ambient, and 12-20 degrees above ambient with Freektune.

You decide...

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Now that I’ve installed my Depo 3.5 FMIC the numbers from Stratified are 5-7 degrees below ambient, and 12-20 degrees above ambient with Freektune.
Erm... #BecauseScience intercooler temps BELOW ambient is a thermodynamic impossibility without outside cooling such as N2O or C02 on the intercooler. Either your thermometer was wrong, or the car's sensors were.

Reactions: poletrain

·
Registered
19 Posts
Erm... #BecauseScience intercooler temps BELOW ambient is a thermodynamic impossibility without outside cooling such as N2O or C02 on the intercooler. Either your thermometer was wrong, or the car's sensors were.
Mine must be wrong as well. If I'm moving, my temps are 4-5 degrees below ambient. If I'm sitting in traffic they are 4-5 above ambient. I have the Steeds FMIC.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree.

All things being equal the only difference is the tune that’s been flashed to the ECU.

Since you brought up science, yes I can repeat the results.

·
Registered
198 Posts
ROTFLOL because science!! correct i just recently went though thermodynamics..and anything designed to cool something cannot be cooler than the thing being cooled (accept in the case of liquid states of gas...IE refrigerant). HOWEVER a peltier device which is both hotter and cooler at the same time requires power to do so. IF anyeone is willing to buy me about 100 of these i would be glad to wire them up and see if i can replace the intercooler with a gaggle of them...I bet i could get inlet charge temps down to 20 degrees. at the cost of about 150lbs of extra weight LOL

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
189 degrees, still ran low 13's

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmm... it may also depend on who’s tune you’re running.

When I was running Stratified, my charge temps on the OE cooler were usually right around ambient, but for some reason when I flashed back to Freektune, the charge temps went through the roof...

You decide...

You decide...

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...[/QUOTE]

Can confirm, impossible. Heat in (ambient) + heat generation = heat out (charge) and there is no negative heat generation (cooling) so heat out must equal at a bare minimum heat in

Source: Penn State B.S. in Mechanical Engineering

Otherwise, I'd like to know why a tune would cause such drastic change in charge temps? If it's running different boost magnitudes at different spots and changing the velocity of the air in the IC, then I can see it, but such that you're seeing over 10F differences seems odd. I'd believe it if it were within +/-5F difference between the two tunes. I'm also very surprised that you saw ambient charge temps on the OE IC, especially on a tune where it should in theory be hotter. You sure your sensors are all okay?

By the way, I realize this may be coming across as snarky, but I assure I am being genuine and not, as the kids say, a douche.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Some tunes correct for the incorrect programming the car's stock tune has. So when it says it's "below ambient" it isn't of course. It's just the way the car is programmed to read that temperature.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Some tunes correct for the incorrect programming the car's stock tune has. So when it says it's "below ambient" it isn't of course. It's just the way the car is programmed to read that temperature.
Thanks for bringing this up. There's a long thread about it somewhere around here. IIRC, this applies to 15+ models and Stratified first addressed the issue. Do you know if any other tuners have, or if Cobb has corrected it with firmware updates?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. There's a long thread about it somewhere around here. IIRC, this applies to 15+ models and Stratified first addressed the issue. Do you know if any other tuners have, or if Cobb has corrected it with firmware updates?
I do not, I'm afraid. I only recall seeing Stratified mention it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the record im running Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune and thats the tune I was running at the time I saw those temps. I also dont think removing the shroud would make that much of a difference although id be curious to see the numbers of someone running a stock intercooler with shrouds removed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts