Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left work and heard something odd. Pulled over and took the pic with the damn gigantic tapcon sticking out of my tire. It was 4:15 and called the tire place that closed at 5, they said "haul a$$" if you want it fixed today. Challenge ACCEPTED!

Down side is it was about 8 miles down the interstate. Went ok for about the first 4, then I heard the clunk of the bolt coming out of the tire.....damn! Within seconds the tire pressure light came in, but I was SO close, decided to keep going. About a mile from the exit, bad noises and knew the tire was flat, slowed WAY down and got on the shoulder. Limped the rest of the way.

So, I'm actually pretty impressed that tiny tire handled that level of abuse and thank God, protected my rim, not a single scratch on the rim.

Had a cheapy thrown on and back on the road in 30 minutes.

Pretty lucky it only cost me $140 for the tire mounted and balanced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,806 Posts
Well, after seeing some plugs in sketchy locations hold, for entirely too long on F1's.

Thats pretty far from the sidewall, a plug would have sufficed.

I carry a plug kit for such moments. Then I just need to find a gas station with air. I plug her on the car, like a savage.

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Well, after seeing some plugs in sketchy locations hold, for entirely too long on F1's.

Thats pretty far from the sidewall, a plug would have sufficed.

I carry a plug kit for such moments. Then I just need to find a gas station with air. I plug her on the car, like a savage.
I carry and air pump with me. I should get a plug kit.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Left work and heard something odd. Pulled over and took the pic with the damn gigantic tapcon sticking out of my tire. It was 4:15 and called the tire place that closed at 5, they said "haul a$$" if you want it fixed today. Challenge ACCEPTED!

Down side is it was about 8 miles down the interstate. Went ok for about the first 4, then I heard the clunk of the bolt coming out of the tire.....damn! Within seconds the tire pressure light came in, but I was SO close, decided to keep going. About a mile from the exit, bad noises and knew the tire was flat, slowed WAY down and got on the shoulder. Limped the rest of the way.

So, I'm actually pretty impressed that tiny tire handled that level of abuse and thank God, protected my rim, not a single scratch on the rim.

Had a cheapy thrown on and back on the road in 30 minutes.

Pretty lucky it only cost me $140 for the tire mounted and balanced.

Can I have my bolt back please.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I love having a full sized spare. You can taking your time getting a replacment/repair instead of destroying anything else. However with as close that was to the outer side wall it might have had to be replaced anyway.

That's a great idea. I have a plug kit in my tool box, but it's been there unused for years. I'll have to pull it out and see if it's still good. Imma def do this because that was NOT fun.

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I have my bolt back please.
I do feel bad that I flung that thing down I95 somewhere, hopefully it flew off into the grass , lol

·
Registered
393 Posts

I keep a plug kit with me everywhere I go, as well as a couple cans of Slime. Last time I used the plug kit was in my own driveway (luckily) the day before facing a vacation drive from Ohio to Maine. I worried about that tire plug the entire trip up until I realized it was gonna stay sealed.
I have a plug kit that screws into the tire where the hole is then snap off flush. Its suppose to hold better since you thread it into the tires banding. This works for me since i like patches and a plug to be put in at a tire shop when i can get to one

·
Registered
463 Posts
I keep a plug kit with me everywhere I go, as well as a couple cans of Slime. Last time I used the plug kit was in my own driveway (luckily) the day before facing a vacation drive from Ohio to Maine. I worried about that tire plug the entire trip up until I realized it was gonna stay sealed.
Slime is a bad idea with TPMS. Better to pull over, plug, goop that stuff up good, air up, and roll out. Total time should be around 30 minutes, and not have to buy a new tire. Also, any decent tire shop can pull or trim the plug and patch the inside to secure the seal even better without any drama. In Texas, many times this service is free if it's a place you frequent.

·
Registered
696 Posts
That's what AAA is for.

;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
That's what AAA is for.

;)
No thanks. I'm not paying for a service that involves waiting 2 hours for some over-paid high school drop out with an inferiority complex and a case of meth mouth to change a tire that'd take me 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No thanks. I'm not paying for a service that involves waiting 2 hours for some over-paid high school drop out with an inferiority complex and a case of meth mouth to change a tire that'd take me 10 minutes tops.
I was thinking something similar, Lol. This whole process took about 45 minutes and cost $140 dollars, but if I had waited on a toe (errr toah, tow...whatever) truck it def wouldn't have been fixed until the next day. I would've had to find a way home, and then back the next day, plus miss some work. All in all i think what happened was the cheapest, easiest solution except maybe doing the plug myself roadside if i had an air pump in the car. But....i didn't.

Just super happy the rim didn't get damaged, that was a big gamble.

Reactions: Slo86GT

·
Registered
696 Posts
Meh. It was mostly a joke. That being said, I have it. I used to drive a LOT for work, and it has saved my butt a few times. It's cheap insurance, IMHO. No need for that extra weight in the back anymore. :cool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Just ordered these today. Next time Imma b ready!

Reactions: UnfocusedST
1 - 16 of 16 Posts