Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew my tires were reaching the end of their life so I've been shopping and decided on a set of Antares Ingen A1 tires.

(https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antares-Ingens-A1-235-40R18-95W-Tire/49651260)

Around $60 per tire here and with a 40,000 tread life warranty which isn't too shabby because I don't track the car or anything....it's a fun daily driver for me. I would say my driving is "spirited" at best.

Anyone have any experience these tires?

Also, on another note all 4 of my tires are wearing on the inside very similar to this. The dealership checked the alignment and said it was fine. I beg to differ, the evidence speaks for itself I believe.

Anyone having similar issues with alignments?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I knew my tires were reaching the end of their life so I've been shopping and decided on a set of Antares Ingen A1 tires.

(https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antares-Ingens-A1-235-40R18-95W-Tire/49651260)

Around $60 per tire here and with a 40,000 tread life warranty which isn't too shabby because I don't track the car or anything....it's a fun daily driver for me. I would say my driving is "spirited" at best.

Anyone have any experience these tires?

Also, on another note all 4 of my tires are wearing on the inside very similar to this. The dealership checked the alignment and said it was fine. I beg to differ, the evidence speaks for itself I believe.

Anyone having similar issues with alignments?

Do you carry any extra weight in your car often? What pressures do you run? What pressures are those tires SUPPOSED to have? If they checked alignment and they told you it's fine...then it makes me wonder if it's related to something else odd. I know the Continental ExtremeContact tires were unevenly wearing due to a design issue in their tread or whatever for some people...maybe this tire unnaturally wears the inside first? I can see by the image that they are asymmetrical tires.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Take it to a reputable mom and pop alignment shop for a better alignment. Dealership alignment guys don't give two ****s. The guys that have been doing it from the day of mirrors and flashlights are where the knowledge of how to set the car up for street driving is held.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks to me like bad toe. Camber can cause that as well but usually bad toe alignment causes wearing out like you shown in the picture.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don’t buy cheap tires. You will take all the fun out of driving.
I made that mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: loki141 and Cowlynz

·
Registered
497 Posts
Might want to check ball joints? But I would think you'd have some serious clunking if ball joints were bad enough to cause that...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Don’t buy cheap tires. You will take all the fun out of driving.
I made that mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you. The only 4 spots that my car makes contact with the pavement are the 4 most important spots on my car. Choose high quality rubber for those spots since your life depends on those more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My tires look like that and Ken towery told my my alingment was like .04" from perfect. Are you lowered?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you carry any extra weight in your car often? What pressures do you run? What pressures are those tires SUPPOSED to have? If they checked alignment and they told you it's fine...then it makes me wonder if it's related to something else odd. I know the Continental ExtremeContact tires were unevenly wearing due to a design issue in their tread or whatever for some people...maybe this tire unnaturally wears the inside first? I can see by the image that they are asymmetrical tires.
I've had the thought that being a 6'2" 390lb guy was making the tires do that but there's no way there's a weight limit on the driver, right? Lol

I run 36-38 pounds of air and they are supposed to have 36.

I asked them why it was doing this and the dealership claims it was because my tire pressure was low. I was putting 1000 miles a week on my car for work at the time.

The dealership showed that it was out of alignment by a tenth of a degree but still well within spec.

The car is stock, no modifications other than a Green Filter.

Do you guys have any recommendations for what tires are best for just a daily driver to go A to B. I need something that gets me to work and back and occasionally a trip from GA to NC. I need at least a 40,000 mile tire.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tires look like that and Ken towery told my my alingment was like .04" from perfect. Are you lowered?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nope no more low for me.

I don't want to buy another set of tires and have this same issue.

I will definitely be getting a 4 wheel alignment when the tires are mounted and balanced.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've had the thought that being a 6'2" 390lb guy was making the tires do that but there's no way there's a weight limit on the driver, right? Lol

I run 36-38 pounds of air and they are supposed to have 36.

I asked them why it was doing this and the dealership claims it was because my tire pressure was low. I was putting 1000 miles a week on my car for work at the time.

The dealership showed that it was out of alignment by a tenth of a degree but still well within spec.

The car is stock, no modifications other than a Green Filter.

Do you guys have any recommendations for what tires are best for just a daily driver to go A to B. I need something that gets me to work and back and occasionally a trip from GA to NC. I need at least a 40,000 mile tire.

I will say any additional weight that puts strain on your car more than another car will affect the tires differently...but if they call for 36 and you run more than that then that could affect it slightly. It wouldn't affect the inside though. I still vote it's because either your alignment is more wack then they said it was or the tires are garbage.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping it's not my weight. I mean, I'm losing weight but that blows if the car can't handle having a 400lb guy in the driver seat. Lol

Also, these were the tires that came on the car when I bought it new about 48,000 miles ago so maybe it was time for them to go.

I'm definitely getting an alignment and all when I get the new tires on. May take to the local Firestone place.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess and say that because of the style of suspension on the ST, especially the rear, 400 lbs will cause the alignment to travel slightly out of spec. Not meaning to be crude about it, but realistically, you add 12%+ of the curbweight of the car to the driver's side. (400/3200). Further, GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating) for the ST is 4,279, so you add 40% of the max rated cargo capacity of the car. (4279 GVWR minus curb weight of 3200~)

I'd ask to have the car aligned with you sitting in the driver's seat, and revel in the difference that'll make. The shop may even have weights they use for this purpose. You aren't the only big dude in the world. I can't imagine this would be too unusual a request.

Reactions: BlackST2015

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to venture a guess and say that because of the style of suspension on the ST, especially the rear, 400 lbs will cause the alignment to travel slightly out of spec. Not meaning to be crude about it, but realistically, you add 12%+ of the curbweight of the car to the driver's side. (400/3200). Further, GVWR(gross vehicle weight rating) for the ST is 4,279, so you add 40% of the max rated cargo capacity of the car. (4279 GVWR minus curb weight of 3200~)

I'd ask to have the car aligned with you sitting in the driver's seat, and revel in the difference that'll make. The shop may even have weights they use for this purpose. You aren't the only big dude in the world. I can't imagine this would be too unusual a request.
That's what I've been thinking about asking. I just wasn't sure if it was an odd request.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts