Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a symposer delete on the car tonight, omg i cant believe how much un needed plastic was on the car for that, not to mention the long snake of corrugated tubing as well. Just a couple weeks ago i removed the shutters and other plastic trim blocking the intercooler. The resonater was cut off my car, not sure why ford thought the car needed that, but glad i have that extra weight and clutter off my car. The whole side of my basement is full of crap i pulled off lol.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just did a symposer delete on the car tonight, omg i cant believe how much un needed plastic was on the car for that, not to mention the long snake of corrugated tubing as well. Just a couple weeks ago i removed the shutters and other plastic trim blocking the intercooler. The resonater was cut off my car, not sure why ford thought the car needed that, but glad i have that extra weight and clutter off my car. The whole side of my basement is full of crap i pulled off lol.
I know the feeling as I have been through all of what you said already and more. That symposer was the first thing to go and it frees up so much engine space.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a pile growing in the corner of my garage too. The odd resonator on the OEM hotside charge pipe was really unneeded too.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'm with you on the symposer and resonator, total waste. I couldn't barely tell a difference after removing my resonator. Waste of money, and the symposer, jeez, how annoying. could have lowered the cost of our car by an easy $300.

·
Registered
660 Posts
some people prefer to listen to the whole orchestra. Some people are just happy listening to a kazoo.
savage!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Some people prefer to listen to the whole orchestra. Some people are just happy listening to a kazoo.
VqdmGeYTu6g5BtQb1xQQ_1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I believe it took less than 5 minutes to remove the symposer and install the plate. I actually thought that symposer was cool at first. Only took a couple of hundred miles for it to get on my nerves, then it was gone.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm sure this is wasted energy, but it's not Ford thinking this is all good stuff to put on your car, right? And it certainly isn't overengineering. Most of it is federal law and government mandate driven that this crap be on there. And I whole heartedly agree with Peregriner...the sound symposer is an awesome idea and their intentions on this one were whole heartedly hot-rod related to give you a cool sounding driving experience. You don't like it, hey, no worries...but their intentions were spot on! As for the grille shutters, another ingenious idea. Now maybe ours don't work great all the time due to cheap materials and such, but the idea behind that system is awesome. More aerodynamic, more fuel efficient, and a better running engine. Modern engines run better, more efficient, and make the most power at temperature; typically in the 200+ range. Long gone are the days of trying to get the engine to run as cool as you can get it. Anyways, Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I swear, I'm the only one who likes the symposer.
Nope, im fine with it too.

Unplugged it for a week, couldn't hear the damn engine and hooked it back up.

If you modify the car, I get taking it out. But stock, it's pretty necessary.

As for this car being over engineered, I strongly disagree. The car is quite simple and that's one of the things I like about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
because your opinion is much better than the engineers who created this thing in the first place, right?
Being on the engineering side developing products for people who generally don't use the hardware as intended and certainly let us know all the inconveniences and 'failures' of the design, it is frustrating. Many times end users don't realize all the considerations that go into the final form of a product (functionality, safety, law/code compliance, COST, frangibility, not to mention aesthetics and reliability, plus more) and proceed to harp on short comings through a set of blinders. Now that isn't to say there aren't stylistic and functionality decisions that were made in the development of this car that I don't agree with nor am I saying that feedback is bad. It is just important to understand that these vehicles and their subsystems have gone through every type of testing and evaluation to ensure solutions that appeals to as broad of an audience as is reasonable and complies with world wide laws/requirements.

Rant over.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts