Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....so I don't know much about turbos and more specifically, Ecoboost. This is my first Ford and my first turbo hatch since the '80s..
My car is 2014 ST...stock. I fabled a block off for the sound symposer, removed the resonator and muffler.
Love the snap, crackle, pop and gurgle...but here I sit with a shiny metal black ST...and no direction or clue where to go with it.
I need friendly advice. I don't want a "ricey" tuner with a giant wing....but a stocker just isn't hitting for me now that the newness has worn a little. I bought the car from Chino Hills Ford used with 20k miles and it still has that new car smell.
....but now I need tires, the long throw shifter bugs the h3LL out of me...and I think it would look better lower.
Any suggestions and simple ideas would be greatly appriciated...and here in Chino Hills....where do I go for reliable performance part?
So, enough of my whining.
Hit me!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I was in the same boat you are in now. Most of us on here were. You like it lower ,CK the suspension threads. You like it smoother, faster ...CK the performance threads. Everybody has their own ideas on first steps. Myself I went bigger intercooler...Fmic, cai, cattback exhaust then tune. There is a thread for all of this. Search first and don't be quite to ask questions. Have fun n mod MOD mod?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok....so I don't know much about turbos and more specifically, Ecoboost. This is my first Ford and my first turbo hatch since the '80s..
My car is 2014 ST...stock. I fabled a block off for the sound symposer, removed the resonator and muffler.
Love the snap, crackle, pop and gurgle...but here I sit with a shiny metal black ST...and no direction or clue where to go with it.
I need friendly advice. I don't want a "ricey" tuner with a giant wing....but a stocker just isn't hitting for me now that the newness has worn a little. I bought the car from Chino Hills Ford used with 20k miles and it still has that new car smell.
....but now I need tires, the long throw shifter bugs the h3LL out of me...and I think it would look better lower.
Any suggestions and simple ideas would be greatly appriciated...and here in Chino Hills....where do I go for reliable performance part?
So, enough of my whining.
Hit me!
Hi, congrats on your ST. First advice keep the stock wing, anything else looks out of place and ricey

For mods do them in this order using COBBs OTS tunes along the way

Cobb APv3>RMM>Intake(or just filter)>FMIC>Catback exhaust & Downpipe> non cobb OTS tune > additional traction upgrades if you feel the need >suspension>wheels & rubber

Goodluck

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my first turbo as well. My last car was an 08 Mazda 3s and I while I enjoyed that hatch I always wish I had picked up the Speed3.

The best guide I've found so far is the one of the many great tech articles at Stratified

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats, and Welcome!
The first mod I did was a short shifter with Solid base and trans bracket bushings.
I recommend Boomba Racing's Ultimate Shift Kit. Great bang for the buck.
Thanks for not brushing me off.....I appriciate the time taken to respond. I guess I'm old school and customizing is now called "mod"....or am I wrong? I have ALWAYS tricked my cars and trucks...but for some reason, and maybe it's because it's new, this car has me at a loss...I mean, other than some off-the -shelf bolt ons...
I've seen parts like wheel spacers and drop springs...and I will most definitely look at that Boomba shift kit.....I guess the real question should be, what's wonky and what's *****'n? What are the, " change the car to a different animal...for the better" mods. Short shift kit....rear engine mount...what else? Can't live without it....never going back...I'm all ears!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, welcome to the forums, let me get this part out of the way. I'm the one to tell people to leave it alone, but by ALL means, do as you wish!

That said I'm also a Photographer and frequent the ACH, let me know if your ever up there :)

On tires: Look for some one offloading a set of stock eagles on Craigs List, you can pick up a set for cheeeeeeppppp

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well, welcome to the forums, let me get this part out of the way. I'm the one to tell people to leave it alone, but by ALL means, do as you wish!

That said I'm also a Photographer and frequent the ACH, let me know if your ever up there :)

On tires: Look for some one offloading a set of stock eagles on Craigs List, you can pick up a set for cheeeeeeppppp
This guy is on drugs, the stock summers suck and you should mod the **** out of your car.

Do a RMM and short shifter for the car feel, intercooler and tune for performance and some mountune or ford performance springs to lower the car a little bit, pair those with some bilsteins or something if you want the struts to actually last.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Read some threads put out by Stratified Auto, and I would also try to understand how a turbo car works in the first place. It's a good starting point. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
RMM + front traction bar, I like my Mountune & TB Performance, and there is a group buy now you could catch if you're quick for a TB strut tower brace. While you're enjoying that setup for 6 months you can read thru the ton of threads on this forum. Welcome & enjoy!

·
Registered
696 Posts
@JBoldt, here's a link to that Group Buy that @Blackula was talking about: http://www.focusst.org/forum/group-buys/93313-tb-performance-products-strut-bar-group-buy.html

As others have said, read build threads. Read LOTS of threads. There is SO MUCH knowledge here, and I know it can be daunting and most certainly time consuming, but it's worth it for sure!

DON'T use the search feature in the forum, because it flat out SUCKS! You won't get what you're looking for. It's better to do a Google search for the topic that you want answers for and add ":focusst.org" at the end of your search. For example, if you want to do a search about LSPI (and you should), type in LSPI:focusst.org.

Also, you can save TONS of money by participating in Group Buys, so make sure to check on that thread often!

Welcome to the forum, and don't be shy!

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
@JBoldt, here's a link to that Group Buy that @Blackula was talking about: http://www.focusst.org/forum/group-buys/93313-tb-performance-products-strut-bar-group-buy.html

As others have said, read build threads. Read LOTS of threads. There is SO MUCH knowledge here, and I know it can be daunting and most certainly time consuming, but it's worth it for sure!

DON'T use the search feature in the forum, because it flat out SUCKS! You won't get what you're looking for. It's better to do a Google search for the topic that you want answers for and add ":focusst.org" at the end of your search. For example, if you want to do a search about LSPI (and you should), type in LSPI:focusst.org.

Also, you can save TONS of money by participating in Group Buys, so make sure to check on that thread often!

Welcome to the forum, and don't be shy!
There is a custom google search bar at the bottom of every page.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're curious as to know how turbos work I recommend watching engineering explained on youtube as he has a slew of videos explaining how they work from internal and external wastegates to how twin turbos work etc etc.

As for the shifter I personally only have had experience with the Cobb short shift plate and that one is adjustable so you can have a huge reduction in throw or have just a tad shorter throw.

Keep in mind if you lower your car you might sacrifice some ride handling, but if you're the type of person that is fine with a stiffer ride then go for it! Lowering springs are a great start, but your best results are going to be achieved through a good set of coilovers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're curious as to know how turbos work I recommend watching engineering explained on youtube as he has a slew of videos explaining how they work from internal and external wastegates to how twin turbos work etc etc.

As for the shifter I personally only have had experience with the Cobb short shift plate and that one is adjustable so you can have a huge reduction in throw or have just a tad shorter throw.

Keep in mind if you lower your car you might sacrifice some ride handling, but if you're the type of person that is fine with a stiffer ride then go for it! Lowering springs are a great start, but your best results are going to be achieved through a good set of coilovers.
For tires, try Goodyear Eagle® F1 Asymmetric 3 or Michelin PILOT SUPER SPORT (30K treadwear warranty) in 245/40R18.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This guy is on drugs, the stock summers suck and you should mod the **** out of your car.
I find it odd how often I'm told I am either under the influence of something, or that I am crazy for ever recommending some one consider the idea of leaving the car stock.

When the car is stock is the best time to learn what it can, and cannot do. Do a bunch of research to see what you have to do to get the changes you want, and stop telling people the stock Eagle F1s suck, they are a fantastic performing tire and often discarded by others with plenty of life left. If the OP needs tires because they are worn down, picking up a lightly used set is a great idea, as he could find which wheels/tires he would like to end up with, and start hunting for deals. Rather than paying full price up front just to get there.

I happen to agree with most however that if your plan is to drive the car hard every day, a RMM is a good first choice in this car.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Speaking of LSPI, check this gem out!

I LOVE this YouTube Channel. This guy is so freaking smart, and his delivery of knowledge is wonderfully executed.

Reactions: LockeLamora33
1 - 20 of 26 Posts