Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my car off this morning to get a tire patch for a nail I picked up and the guy let me know I am at 20% tread life in the front and my front left has a gash where the thread is showing. He also stated that the rears are not too far behind.

I have been going to a tires warehouse in my area for years and will be going back there either today or tomorrow. They offer great service and prices. I am looking for a tire that has long tread life and to have at least the performance properties of the stock Eagle F1's (I got almost 26k miles out of them!).

Is there any particular brand you guys recommend for what I am looking for? I live in SoCal so I could go with summer tires, but they seem to have lower tread life. Perhaps some all season tires would better fit the bill. I won't ever need winter tires here.

Let me know!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I dropped my car off this morning to get a tire patch for a nail I picked up and the guy let me know I am at 20% tread life in the front and my front left has a gash where the thread is showing. He also stated that the rears are not too far behind.

I have been going to a tires warehouse in my area for years and will be going back there either today or tomorrow. They offer great service and prices. I am looking for a tire that has long tread life and to have at least the performance properties of the stock Eagle F1's (I got almost 26k miles out of them!).

Is there any particular brand you guys recommend for what I am looking for? I live in SoCal so I could go with summer tires, but they seem to have lower tread life. Perhaps some all season tires would better fit the bill. I won't ever need winter tires here.

Let me know!
The pilot super sports you probably hear about all the time on this forum (Which I recently got and I LOVE..way better than F1's) have a 30,000 mile warranty with regular wear patterns. I fully recommend them in 245/40r18 size.

Edit: and yeah if you hit a pothole with that thread showing it'll be an instant blowout with potential to get hurt. I'd be buying tires like today lol that sucks my man

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pilot super sports you probably hear about all the time on this forum (Which I recently got and I LOVE..way better than F1's) have a 30,000 mile warranty with regular wear patterns. I fully recommend them in 245/40r18 size.

Edit: and yeah if you hit a pothole with that thread showing it'll be an instant blowout with potential to get hurt. I'd be buying tires like today lol that sucks my man
I am always out in LA county for work and they have pot holes everywhere! I may scoot out early today if they can fit me in. I did want to try and get tires in the 45k-50k mile range for tread life though.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just realizing the place I normally go to does not carry Dunlop or Pilot.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I recommend the all season version of the Stock F1's. They have a 45k tread life, and are only slightly less grippy than the stock Summers. + they have the added bonus of being good for winter too.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have Continental ExtremeContact Sports and have been happy with them. They are 30,000 mile rated which is about the best you will find on a summer only tire (most are not rated at all). My only complaint is a would have gone up a width. The stock Eagle F1 have a built in rim guard, which makes the Contis look a little narrower than they could be.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TOYO PROXES 4 PLUS
CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS06
CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS
GT RADIAL CHAMPIRO UHP AS

Are any of these any good?

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Continental ExtremeContact Sports and have been happy with them. They are 30,000 mile rated which is about the best you will find on a summer only tire (most are not rated at all). My only complaint is a would have gone up a width. The stock Eagle F1 have a built in rim guard, which makes the Contis look a little narrower than they could be.
Any reason I shouldn't go with all season to get more tread life? I know summer offers more grip, but this is my DD and I would get 50k miles out of them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Any reason I shouldn't go with all season to get more tread life? I know summer offers more grip, but this is my DD and I would get 50k miles out of them.
You live in a nice climate so no need for AS tires in my opinion. Go with the Direzza, they ave a higher than normal treadwear rating so should last 40k or so, you just trade a little traction for longevity.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much are these tires going to run. I want to replace all 4 and the $700 range seems pretty high.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
If you are looking for tread life over performance then you have a LOT of options. As a bunch were already mentioned. I personally do not like Continentals because of their common uneven treadwear issue (which leads to not being able to get them warrantied because of uneven tread). However some of the A/S options now a day are still excellent with performance.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Why don't you just go to your local America's Tire/Discount Tire. They carry all manufacturer's and will beat any price. Also you are going to get a nation wide backed warranty (if you are worried about hitting stuff) compared to a local tire warehouse. Plus with all the sales coming up right now for memorial day you'll be able to save some coin at AT/DT.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are looking for tread life over performance then you have a LOT of options. As a bunch were already mentioned. I personally do not like Continentals because of their common uneven treadwear issue (which leads to not being able to get them warrantied because of uneven tread). However some of the A/S options now a day are still excellent with performance.
I just called the tire shop and they recommended Nexxen, Sumitomo, and Hankook for what I was looking for...Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I just called the tire shop and they recommended Nexxen, Sumitomo, and Hankook for what I was looking for...Thoughts?
I'd personally stay away from Nexxen and Sumitomo. Hakook offers some nice products for a decent price though. Also AT/DT gives you free services (rotation, repair, balance, air checks). Not trying to preach for them but they are a great option for getting the best prices and service hands down.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd personally stay away from Nexxen and Sumitomo. Hakook offers some nice products for a decent price though. Also AT/DT gives you free services (rotation, repair, balance, air checks). Not trying to preach for them but they are a great option for getting the best prices and service hands down.
That all sounds pretty good. I just can't afford to pay $170+ per tire. I will take a look at Americas Tire.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Their prices look pretty good. I am looking at:

Hankook VENTUS V12 EVO2 K120 - $128
Falken PRO G4 A/S - $128
Continental EXTREME CONTACT DW - $147
Dunlop DIREZZA DZ102 - $147

Thoughts? @elyk864 @brian60

Prices seem fair. I am going to get over there today.

Reactions: elyk864 and brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts

Falken PRO G4 A/S - $128

All of those would be great for your needs, I think that shop you called were trying to sell their sh!t stock...horrible suggestions they gave you. I'd be reluctant to trust their reps again if I were you. But those 4 are all priced nice and will perform really well in both treadlife AND pretty damn good performance for what they are.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts

Falken PRO G4 A/S - $128

Agreed on the choices, I think the rebates start tomorrow. So keep that in consideration. They base their rebates on a Good, Better, Best scale. So depending on what category the tire you want falls under you may be able to get the better/more expensive tire for close to the same price as a mid range due to the rebates.

Reactions: HBGeek
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.