Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo... Yea.. Our RS FINALLY came in(after 9 months of waiting on the order). I drove it, naturally, as soon as I could.... I'm not gonna lie.... I wasn't that impressed... I mean.. It almost LOOKS better than anything.. I love the look.. but there's no way in hell you can convince me it's worth a $15k premium over an ST... I feel like my ST is actually more fun to drive... I'm hoping not to get flamed here.. but I love the car.. just not for $40k... Couple years from now.. Maybe with 30k miles.. I'll buy one i find stock for 20-25k.. sure.. But not new for $40... Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's what a lot of people are saying about. The break-in period is a real thing though and your opinion may change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pampa

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nope. No comparison. The RS is hands down a better Car. They aren't even in the same class, if they were, Ford wouldn't bother with building the RS.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Although the 40k price is way more than I would pay, I can't help but think that the RS can't be anything but [email protected]! Sometimes when I stomp on my ST in some windy turns, I think what it must be like in an RS. The torque steer can really make this car a handful, and that's even with me being un-modded and not even running in sport or track mode. With all the extra oomph that the RS has, man I bet I could really mess myself up!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. No comparison. The RS is hands down a better Car. They aren't even in the same class, if they were, Ford wouldn't bother with building the RS.
They aren't in the same class.. you're right.. the RS is in a whole nother league of who has the ability to own one financially... And for that, you CAN'T drive the car and have as much fun on the ROAD as you could the ST... I didn't get the smiles driving one the road like I do in my car... It's in a different class... It's 100hp more and AWD... ok ok ok.. have you driven one? It DOESN'T FEEL like 100 hp more.. it has a lot of fancy $hit.. but it doesn't feel like it should be that much more money.. Point is.. For less than $10k I could go stage 4 BT ST and run circles around that car. AWD doesn't make it the king..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although the 40k price is way more than I would pay, I can't help but think that the RS can't be anything but [email protected]! Sometimes when I stomp on my ST in some windy turns, I think what it must be like in an RS. The torque steer can really make this car a handful, and that's even with me being un-modded and not even running in sport or track mode. With all the extra oomph that the RS has, man I bet I could really mess myself up!!!
It is a badass car.. I'm not taking away from that.. but it's not $40k badass.. It turns in well.. it GRIPS like nobody's business... but $1500 bucks in suspension on an ST and so does the ST... It has turbo lag, it doesn't spool as fast, and frankly.. it doesn't have the RPM range of fun that the ST does.. you dont really start making big power in the RS until around 3500-4k rpm... it just doesn't FEEL as fun... If i took it to a track.. I'm sure, different story.. All in all I love the car.. I'm not trying to diss it.. But it doesn't give you that throw-you-in-the-back-of-your-seat thrill like an ST.. it's just almost too easy to drive that it's not as fun...

You can literally just put the hammer down and go fast without trying and turn without trying.. you don't have to be a good driver to drive that car "well"... I feel that that is disappointing in an enthusiast car...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have indeed. I had one of the first ones ordered in AL. They're not even close to comparable. While I love the ST, the RS is the best driver car Ford has built in some time. I've owned close to 40 Fords. The RS is my favorite.

Reactions: bassinjl

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you own that car now I assume? Listen.. i'm not saying it's not a good drivers car.. but for a DD... I'd take the ST all day for fun/miles.. the RS requires too much road for what it's capable of... maybe it's b/c I live in western PA and it's very hilly/windy/blind spots and $hitty as$ roads.. but I still feel like my ST is just more fun "feeling"..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do you own that car now I assume? Listen.. i'm not saying it's not a good drivers car.. but for a DD... I'd take the ST all day for fun/miles.. the RS requires too much road for what it's capable of... maybe it's b/c I live in western PA and it's very hilly/windy/blind spots and $hitty as$ roads.. but I still feel like my ST is just more fun "feeling"..
Bingo! You still can't beat the ST in fun per dollar on any public road. The RS is amazing, but it just crests the public road factor. The ST is a day in and day out fantastic drive, and for the dollar there just isn't anything close.... Even in the same family ( Ford). They nailed the ST... Period. The RS is a must if you go beyond DD... But for us "normal" folk the ST is still the sh*t.... Period!.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
This review sums up what OP and moosehead are saying. It's an RS, Golf R and STI road and track comparison.

Ford Focus RS v Subaru WRX STI v Volkswagen Golf R Comparison:: Road Test

The RS is a LOT of car .. so much so that ex-rally driver testing the car said he didn't manage to drive it at 10/10ths on the track and he'd love more time with the car. Eric, you're pretty spot on - you aren't going to get everything out of the RS on the road. On the track is where it shines as countless reviews have shown.

As for making an ST better .......... well, I don't know about that - I mean you can but a lot of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s for what you save :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bingo! You still can't beat the ST in fun per dollar on any public road. The RS is amazing, but it just crests the public road factor. The ST is a day in and day out fantastic drive, and for the dollar there just isn't anything close.... Even in the same family ( Ford). They nailed the ST... Period. The RS is a must if you go beyond DD... But for us "normal" folk the ST is still the sh*t.... Period!.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Thank you. I got my ST3 for $25,800 + tax and tags... I can't justify in any way $15k for this car... I just can't do it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This review sums up what OP and moosehead are saying. It's an RS, Golf R and STI road and track comparison.

The RS is a LOT of car .. so much so that ex-rally driver testing the car said he didn't manage to drive it at 10/10ths on the track and he'd love more time with the car. Eric, you're pretty spot on - you aren't going to get everything out of the RS on the road. On the track is where it shines as countless reviews have shown.

As for making an ST better .......... well, I don't know about that - I mean you can but a lot of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s for what you save :)
That's true. You can't test the limits of the RS on a public road while with the ST you can

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The Track is not something I'd ever see with the car... 2 summer now I've had my ST... I live 25 min from Pittsburgh International Race Complex... I have yet to get there with my car for autox or anything... I'd love to... but lets face it... 3 kids under the age of 7... 50hr a week job, 2 acres of grass to cut at least once a week, plus having a family life.... the ST is the most bang for the buck for the everyday Joe. It's affordable, it's driveable at it's limits.. it's modd-able for not a lot of $$ to begin with... and I can FIT all of my kids in it comfortable for a vacation trip for a few nights... I've done it... Twice.. I could afford the RS.. I really could.. its' not like I have a case of jealousy and un-affordability... I just DONT WANT TO PAY that much for a car like that.. it just doesn't fit for me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes I hear you, it's not the car for everyone !

I still think they should have made the RS 3 door :)
I would love an RS3 door :p

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bet you could sell it pretty easily and make all that money back to buy an ST..... JUST SAYIN ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
The OP's opinion isn't that crazy, I guarantee you there's a GTI forum discussing the same thing about the Golf R.
VW fanbois (in Australia) are stupid. The base Golf R can be had for almost the same price as the GTI with all the bells and whistles. I know which I would choose lol ... to be fair, they usually compare the top spec GTI vs Golf R. Again, I'd take the Golf R no questions asked .. but yes, there are ppl who are umming and ahhing between the GTI and R LOL.

Comes down to whether you want to pay THAT MUCH extra to get the RS over the ST. The price gap between the ST and RS seems to be quite large. In Australia, it is $38-43k vs $55k. Big jump in price for us too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Edit

1 - 20 of 103 Posts