Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After bouncing around the forums for a bit, I wanted to ask those who have the MFT their honest opinion: how bad is it? I'm considering a gently used Explorer Sport for the wife and everything I'm looking that's in my price range has the MFT. Now, I haven't had the opportunity to experience the MFT but from what I'm reading on here, it's pretty bad. My '16 ST has SYNC 3 and the wife's current vehicle ('10 Mercury Mountaineer) has the original SYNC. So here's your opportunity to let others know what to look for (or look out for, however you want to read that) when looking at Ford products with the MFT. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
MFT is not a bad system. It is certainly not as good as a quality aftermarket system and probably not as good as some of the better OEM systems (haven't tried them so cannot confirm). However, people complain about MFT entirely too much. It is relatively easy to use for anyone with minimal tech knowledge. Most complaints are due to either user error or issues in the programming that for the most part have been resolved with updates (but since many users never update... they continue to complain about issues that have been resolved). My only real complaint with MFT is that it makes aftermarket audio a little more difficult (nothing awful... just requires a few extra pieces of equipment that would not be necessary with a base audio system).

If you want to see terrible infotainment systems, go drive a Subaru. They are extremely slow to react to touch, have terrible voice recognition, are more difficult than necessary to input navigation destinations on, and require about 4 voice menus to make a phone call (versus the Ford saying Call and the persons name).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I honestly like the system. I am in a '13 ST and do not have the latest system but still like it. The voice recognition is good, I feel, the sound quality that the stereo has is great (Not sure if all are Sony). I think it is cool to be able to update the background or to use the video feature when stopped (not sure when I would ever use this, but...). Overall its a good product that works while you need it and how you need it. Tune here, call here, change temp. What else do you need in a car?

·
Registered
931 Posts
It was pretty bad (slow on good days, non-responsive on bad days) in my '12 Titanium. It seemed much improved in my '14. It never lagged, froze or went through a lot of resets.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a '14 with sync 2 and MFT. It's been rock solid, no troubles at all. I find it intuitive and easy to use. Mostly I use voice commands to control the audio and make phone calls. The voice recognition almost always gets it right on the first try. The factory nav system is decent as well. I like the graphics and can generally find an address or POI using voice commands. That said, I do tend to use Waze or Google maps in the city because they take traffic into account when routing. Based on my experience, I would recommend MFT. Once in a while the MFT will take a few extra seconds to boot up after starting the car, and maybe once in 1.5 years I've gotten the "doing maintenance, try again later" message.

My wife drives a '16 Subaru and I can vouch for the awfulness of their system. We both have computer science degrees, and we can barely use the damn thing. Ford is 10 years ahead of those guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have replied. Have any of you brought it back to Ford for an update? Have there been any noticable improvements? What is the latest version and how could you tell (is there a "latest version" screen that you could access without plugging into the diagnostics port)?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I love it in my 13, have had zero issues personally. I think that a lot of the complaints are from people that either never learned how to properly use it or some that may have had an early edition of MFT in 12 and 13 that may have been more glitchy than others. Sync3 on the other hand, is a huge upgrade and is, IMHO the best factory infotainment in any make/model out there right now. And this is coming from someone who has been selling cars for 4 years and has had the opportunity to try everything out there from GM, to Nissan, to BMW or Lexus etc. Nothing is as easy to use or has the same capabilities as Ford's system. Not to mention Sync3 has the best voice recognition I've ever used by far.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I am shocked by the people saying it is utter trash. We are talking about MFT, AKA Sync 2, right??

In my opinion it is definitely not an absolutely flawless experience, especially after being accustomed the responsiveness and design of a high end smartphone. I think the biggest complaint people have is the UI is sometimes a little stupid. For example why do we need 2 pages to list all the audio sources? This is clearly a valid complaint, but two things I want to point out. 1) From what i hear (not personal experience) other car systems are far worse. 2) Even our smartphones have moments of stupidity all over their UI but we are simply used to them. Overall I feel like my system in my 2015 ST3, which I always called Sync 2? Is fairly decent. I feel like I must be missing something, how high can some peoples' standard be?

But I am kicking myself that I dont have sync 3, so maybe I am just doing mental loops to convince myself sync 2 is good.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I am shocked by the people saying it is utter trash. We are talking about MFT, AKA Sync 2, right??

In my opinion it is definitely not an absolutely flawless experience, especially after being accustomed the responsiveness and design of a high end smartphone. I think the biggest complaint people have is the UI is sometimes a little stupid. For example why do we need 2 pages to list all the audio sources? This is clearly a valid complaint, but two things I want to point out. 1) From what i hear (not personal experience) other car systems are far worse. 2) Even our smartphones have moments of stupidity all over their UI but we are simply used to them. Overall I feel like my system in my 2015 ST3, which I always called Sync 2? Is fairly decent. I feel like I must be missing something, how high can some peoples' standard be?

But I am kicking myself that I dont have sync 3, so maybe I am just doing mental loops to convince myself sync 2 is good.
To be honest, I've used the in-dash systems in Volvo, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW all which make MFT look like a the complete piece of **** it is.

When the GPS has my car actually on the road and not driving off the map in a field or through buildings, it's a good day. It's a better day when the audio from any source doesn't randomly skip. Just kidding, it always skips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To be honest, I've used the in-dash systems in Volvo, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW all which make MFT look like a the complete piece of **** it is.

When the GPS has my car actually on the road and not driving off the map in a field or through buildings, it's a good day. It's a better day when the audio from any source doesn't randomly skip. Just kidding, it always skips.

My MFT works perfect. In my 13' focus SE, i had the issue where my GPS would say i was in a field or something...lol. But i removed the Fuse for about 30 mins and after that it was perfect for about 1 1/2 years... My ST doesnt have navi :(

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

If you like the "joystick" thing that bmw, lexus and mercedes uses then it's not a bad interface, but I prefer the touch screen and voice activation abilities of MFT. As far as looking like you're driving through a field, that is the global positioning system, not MFT itself. I've seen it in a few customer's vehicles across several year ranges and your local Ford dealer should be able to get that fixed for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a ST1 with just Sync, never cared to know what MFT was to be honest.
I have 2016 Dodge and the UConnect is actually pretty damn good (not that it makes any difference to you, but in case you want a Hellcat instead of an SUV... your wife will thank you!)

·
Premium Member
682 Posts

I expected somebody to respond that their Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or Audi was better. I think we should appreciate Ford is even being compared to those guys. Their **** better be light years more refined else they do not deserve to stay in the business they operate.

Not to argue, I would agree those systems probably do make the Ford one feel poor quality. So obviously the ford system is not the best, and that is exactly how I feel about it. That is actually an excellent way to describe it "eh.. its not the best". But as a cup half full guy, I also hear "Its definitely not the worst".

Im not an expert on the subject, and no I am not the type who argues for the sake of it. I can appreciate hating the problems you just described happen. I am tempted to say perhaps your system needs some updates or something. Perhaps 2013 was different system, maybe you got unlucky.

edit: Might be worthile to note a few things about my 2015. My GPS has never been even slightly innacurate or difficult to manage. The general UI is stupid but at least it seems to be very reliable. Audio system has some stupid quirks but is otherwise quite agreeable. Phone system can be stupid too (that damn UI again) but much like the audio you can learn to adapt. Voice system, I personally dislike but others say works better than most. I recognize nothing here is perfect, but no huge problems like you describe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your honest opinions. I was able to drive a co-workers 2015 Explorer with the MFT and didn't find it to be too offensive...quite the opposite. It's not a bad system; slightly sluggish but not overwhelmingly so. There are LOTS of menus to scroll through but I like options. The controls themselves weren't too bad and were fully functional. I don't know when or if this version of MFT has been updated but I had asked the question a few posts before. I don't know if anyone has updated their own and if so, how easy was it to do and how could they tell which version they were on. I'm assuming that there would have to be a step-change in order for someone to tell as minor updates wouldn't be apparent. Thanks again to all who have voiced their opinions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you all for your honest opinions. I was able to drive a co-workers 2015 Explorer with the MFT and didn't find it to be too offensive...quite the opposite. It's not a bad system; slightly sluggish but not overwhelmingly so. There are LOTS of menus to scroll through but I like options. The controls themselves weren't too bad and were fully functional. I don't know when or if this version of MFT has been updated but I had asked the question a few posts before. I don't know if anyone has updated their own and if so, how easy was it to do and how could they tell which version they were on. I'm assuming that there would have to be a step-change in order for someone to tell as minor updates wouldn't be apparent. Thanks again to all who have voiced their opinions.
Most of us (especially those of us with '13s) have updated our systems, because the early version was pretty much trash. It would hang quite often, but since an update in Q4 of 2013, mine has been pretty solid (maybe a handful of temporary sluggishness and a single instance of extended non-responsiveness). Updating is not that hard - put the files on a USB stick and plug it in. You can see if there is an update available on the Ford Owner's website.

I'm not impressed with the voice recognition, or the navigation system. The nav will do stupid stuff sometimes like "Did you mean 123 Main St E or 123 Main St W?" Then when you choose one (having no idea which is the correct answer), it says "that option does not exist" or something similar. It also chooses inefficient routes sometimes. I use it because I like having the next turn info in the dash display but usually use Waze as the primary. Sound quality is good overall - not excellent but certainly not bad for a factory system. My wife would love to have its quality in her minivan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts