Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And that's usually not a good thing. There was a story about a police department's officers getting CO poisoning from their Explorers. Ford admitted being aware of a body sealing problem with the Explorer, and I feel like I have the same problem. When I accelerate hard to get on the highway and stay hard on the gas through the gears, when I back off to normal speed I smell the catalytic converter, and it's strong, like I'm standing outside near the exhaust. It goes away in a few minutes but I don't think I should be smelling anything like that. I've got a stock '16 ST3.
Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to smells etc. and I haven't had any issues with my '14 ST3 in that regard, even after 80k miles.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I too have a '16 ST3 and didn't notice an exhaust smell with the stock system, or the 3" cat back I installed back in February.

Just installed a catless DP and still haven't noticed and funky smells.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
There was a young couple found dead in a Fiesta ST 6 months back or so, I belive he had done something to the exhaust. Cant remember the conclusion - but beware the symposer hole through the firewall as it sits directly in front of the cabin air intake, cabin air intake funnels in dead center behind the firewall. Also, in the same place, just where the cabin air funnels in, there is the 2 windscreen drains - basically a open hole directly above the DP and turbo - exactly in front of cabin air funnel.
Best thing you can do is to check the nut tightening on the turbo to DP connection once in a while.

Lastly, make sure you use a active charcoal filter for your cabin air filter, it wont stop carbon monoxide coming in in the event of a turo/dp exhaust leak but it will eliminate any funky odors coming from the engine compartment.
Remember, carbon monoxide is odorless. First symptom if you had a leak would be a headache.

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
It's a Austin PD issue with the company they use to modify the Explorers. They included Ford in the lawsuit because they said the cabin isn't sealed enough not to let CO in. Maybe the contractor should hire mechanics that dont leave exhaust leaks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=police+officer+gets+co+poisoning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
A little town just North of me here in Kansas has the same issue.

Park City Police concerned about CO levels in patrol vehicle | KSN-TV

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
Ok I retract my statement but that was one. Austin has had at least 6
Not saying that was not the one being referred to; just pointing out that this is not an isolated incident.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw where it's happened in California, too. I wonder if the flex joint on the downpipe is leaking on mine? I don't smell anything until I really get on it and go through the gears until I'm well over the speed limit.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Do you think these departments are just trying to cash in? It's obviuosly a serious concern, especially for LEO's because they're in their patrol car 99% of an 10+ hour shift. I'm just wondering how sever the problemactually is.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That happens in my 13 st3 after a hard acceleration I smell exhaust fumes. I will have ford look at it while the car is in for recall

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
The fact is the exhaust pipes and catalyst is on the back side of the engine, close to the firewall.
No question the exhaust gets hot when the engine is driven hard.
But carbon monoxide has no odor.
Smelling the fumes of crap burning off the surface of the exhaust and the shielding has NOTHING to do with the danger from carbon monoxide.
Also the intake for the cabin is right above the engine exhaust. There is a rubber blocking device to 'help' keep the engine smells away from the cabin intake.. but that seal is not perfect. And air at the ends of that rubber dam can swirl around and into the cabin intake.
My suggestion is if the smell bothers you, add something to better block the engine compartment seal from the cabin intake under the top of the hood.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You have to remember that these cops are probably sitting in their Explorers for hours at a time, engine running. I know I see cops around here doing it all the time, filling out paperwork, waiting on calls, napping, etc. I'm not saying that it should happen when the car sits and idles, but I think it's similar to the couple that died (in England or something I think) that were probably banging it out for a while with the car running. If you don't sit in your car with it running for long periods of time, there is probably little to worry about.

I have a 2015 Explorer and when I get into it with moderate to hard acceleration it the exhaust fumes stink up the whole cabin. I think there is a TSb for it, and I should probably have it fixed but it only crosses my mind for the 10 seconds after I accelerate hard.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went onto to the interstate today, but since I had my granddaughter in the car I didn't get on it as hard as I usually do, and this time I didn't smell anything. Evidently it has something to do with foot to the floor acceleration only.
Also, two things: I used to be a mechanic and I worked in an oil refinery, so I'm aware that CO is odorless, and I know what a stinky catalytic converter smells like. I only mentioned the Explorer/cop problem because if one model has sketchy body sealing maybe other models do, too.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
I would get that looked at ASAP, this is what warranties are for, fixing defective parts, and that sounds like a factory error. Unless you messed with the exhaust, your installer shop may have punctured the flex pipe when tightening the bolts on the cat back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts