Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow I now understand why these things get put up in the winter.. this thing sucks in the winter. It's my first snow fall with the car and I don't like it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
What tires are you running?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wow I now understand why these things get put up in the winter.. this thing sucks in the winter. It's my first snow fall with the car and I don't like it.

I have new Continental snow tires and my car is amazing in snow. It’s got torque did you expect it to be a snow mobile?

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is this your first snowfall running a car on summer tires? If so, then yes it sucks in the winter. Just like any car with summer tires will suck in the winter. It's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a solution.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Too many people don't realize that summer tires are absolutely dangerous in the cold. They turn hard and have zero group around freezing temps.
I'm not calling out the OP for it, but if one person reads this that didn't know.

Don't Drive Summer Performance Tires in Cold Temperatures
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still unfortunately have the summer tires on. I do know they aren't good and have no traction. I was just venting really.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It’s just that they don’t suck in snow is all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah blame the tires not the car, this cars not bad at all in the winter. Better than my cobalt was. I run with Michelin X-ice tires in the winter.

Reactions: nafsucof

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
I still unfortunately have the summer tires on. I do know they aren't good and have no traction. I was just venting really.

Lol!

Yeah I run Blizzaks, and literally plow roads for lifted jeeps, lmao! Left lane of the highway cruisin', laughing at all the spun out cars. Leading the pack.

This was before the LSD too!

I upgraded brakes and my 17" snow tires dont clear my 14" brake set-up, so I bought a winter beater, and the ST is not seeing any fun snow time this year. :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
What Deuce said. This is my first time running any snow tires. I only slid when I wanted to in a parking lot and I live around a lot of windy mountainy roads. I was passing cars on snow covered roads and didn't even spin. The summers became undriveable for me back in like October but I held on until December to swap.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I won't beat the already very dead horse, but the Focus ST doesn't suck in the snow. /thread lol
People NEED to understand one thing. If you're going to have this car and run Eagle F1's or any summer-specific tire, YOU MUST HAVE A WINTER SETUP. This car is FUN in the snow. I've said it 1,000 times but anyone who lives in a freezing/snowy climate will absolutely have to budget for winter tires. It's just not safe (let alone possible) without a winter specific tire.

I know you can see I live in Phoenix, but i've only been here for 9 months and lived in Detroit my whole life. Trust me. This car on Eagle F1's any time after early November = horrible time. This car on a set of (even cheap) winter tires = a blast.

Reactions: BlueHaloGirl

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
People NEED to understand one thing. If you're going to have this car and run Eagle F1's or any summer-specific tire, YOU MUST HAVE A WINTER SETUP. This car is FUN in the snow. I've said it 1,000 times but anyone who lives in a freezing/snowy climate will absolutely have to budget for winter tires. It's just not safe (let alone possible) without a winter specific tire.

I know you can see I live in Phoenix, but i've only been here for 9 months and lived in Detroit my whole life. Trust me. This car on Eagle F1's any time after early November = horrible time. This car on a set of (even cheap) winter tires = a blast.
My back roads aren't tended to well for the first 4 miles of my commute, so in snowy conditions it's often that I save vacation days for use in the winter. That said, ice is really the only thing minus 4.5+ inches of snow that would begin to compromise clearance. If our cars didn't drag from low clearance we could handle like 6 inches of snow on good winter tires honestly. I did perfect the other week when we got that random 4 inches overnight. I even made it up my steepish driveway without slipping...THAT was impressive. Just gotta have a light foot and stay out of boost and it's perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts

I have a beater daily, and use the 'summer only tires' as an excuse not to drive my ST in the winter, mainly to avoid deer, but also road salt! Hell I don't even drive my ST in the rain. It's a garage queen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm in to beat the dead horse.
These cars are wicked fun in the snow and winter...with proper shoes. LOL I don't understand how people can't figure this out. Don't blame the car. Summer tires are hard as hockey pucks in the winter and have 0 traction. Winter tires are made of a softer compound that stays soft at extreme low temperatures.
It's -25C here today and my car was wicked! It loves this cold weather and boosting!!! My Boomba BOV was going crazy today!!! Turn traction off and go have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Not only should you have a set of snow tire if your car came with (or if you choose to run) summer tires, but you should also have a set of snow tire if you run all seasons too.

All seasons are really "no seasons", they suck in summer and they really suck in winter. Honestly they is no time when they are any good.

Then if your going to have two sets of tires, you might as well just get summer only tires for the non-winter set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Two years ago I was coaching kids at a wrestling practice and didn't know it had started snowing (gym has no windows). We got < 1/2", but I couldn't make it up the hill near my home with those summer tires.

Michelin X-Ice are on the car now and I welcome the white stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts