Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a snorkel like the one from Velossa Tech worth the money or no? My only real mod is a Green Filter, not tuned or anything.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
no

if it was, there would be before and after dynos showing improvement, not a bunch of scientifical what ifs

however, it is worth just as much of a benefit as your green filter is

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The wonderful world of thermodynamics would prove that by decreasing the inlet temp by say .... 5 degrees F ... after passing through an intake (heated from the bay), down to a MUCH MUCH hotter turbo, would then equilize itself to damn near no change at all. The only reason the FMIC is so efficient is, that its the last step before the cyl so your taking heat out of the last stage prior to combustion, not in the begnining where its going through thermo stresses.

I will say that its damn near only for asthetics ... which people pay for... so... it works for the benifit I guess. Voss can say BUT IT REDUCES INTAKE SIDE TEMPS... well sure... but...thats not the temp of the air going to the engine, thats basically the same as throwing an ice cube at your 400* oven ... not going to do much there lol.

Reactions: bman13235

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It does work and reduces not only inlet temps before the turbo which are beneficial it also reduces duty cycle of the wastegate which means the turbo isn't working as hard.

You can't test these things on a dyno there is no way to replicate the air blowing into the snorkel IE ram-air effect. The best and easy way to tell is at the drag strip if your trap speed has increased without any other changes.

Another way is to have your tune changed slightly because the mixture has become leaner, that is another indication that it's working.

Ram Air can have quite a dramatic effect on power that you mainly will only see in WOT conditions.

I have the Cobb version and while I was going to test it to see if it made any improvement, I had engine problems that is somewhat well documented elsewhere on this site.

Now that the car has been changed so much that I won't really know but it certainly doesn't hurt. Ford includes one in their upgrade and I don't think factories take such affordable and effective modifications lightly

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Nitrous and WMI works as mods without a tune. Torrie proved that back in 2013. As far as this snorkel (severely over priced piece of plastic) the stock system is good till 300 whp, so is the exhaust so anyone who buys this expecting it to give them more hp simply doesn't understand physics...but I read thru threads here on the forum and quite a few people don't seem to understand physics (I'd name names and call them out but a couple of them post daily here and are full of bs 1/2 the time).
say more than half the time ;) yeah I know Nitrous and WMI... but those aren't "bolt ons" that everyone is claiming to be making HP with

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
lol PM me who your talking about as a regular.... im just curious of your input on the matter.

I guess I'm just getting annoyed at the fact that some of these "regulars" say some of the dumbest stuff here...and nobody seems to care or call them out on it, and mods just leave it alone...seems like I just need a break from this site, so tired of reading bs on a daily basis in here. Rant over. Logging off. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sure nitrous and wmi work without a tune, but will you derive the most benefit from your purchase?

I did a dry system on a 1st gen Neon, 30 hp. No changes, the car made the changes it was well within it's ability to add/pull fuel or timing as long as certain conditions are met under WOT.

On the dyno it made exactly 25 hp, but on a car that put down 109hp without it that's peanuts.

The ST will self-adjust on a small shot of nitrous, AFR/Lambda was unchanged from the tune that was flashed into the car. 250cc nozzle from AEM is too small, at least it's too small from a tuned POV. On a stock car, stock flash/tune, it made 220-225 hp when I baseline at 210 hp on 91 octane. 500 cc untuned (from the current tune which was E30) got an overrich condition but the car still ran [email protected] which equaled the trap speed made on E30.

Ram Air works, it's easy to remove. If you are interested, I can make some passes with it and without it to compare. As I said the results will be skewed because output has increased dramatically but it's been proven if you can a) increase air speed into the turbocharger and b) lower the temperature of that air; Spool will decrease and less boost will be required to make the same power.

Compressor Efficiency and More

I picked up 1.5 mph by switching from the stock airbox with an Accel Filter to a AEM Cold Air intake on my SRT-4 (outside the engine compartment in the fender well) and the placebo effect was the car accelerated better than previously.

Reactions: TimZ
1 - 10 of 10 Posts