Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Yes I searched for the answers first.

Anyways I'm installing a velossa tech big mouth snorkel this weekend and have a few questions:

Is there any harm in removing the rubber radiator shroud? From pictures I've seen, it looks like the snorkel will sit lower and be more visible if I remove it.

Also, I see the a lot of people removed their plastic bumper support thing... is there any harm in doing this safety wise?

Are there any other mods I should do while I have the bumper off?
I cut out a section of the rubber piece to create clearance for the snorkel. You should also remove the AGS while you have the bumper off. I'd leave the crash bar plastic piece installed.

Reactions: Pantera

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Thanks mate. Any drawbacks to removing the AGS? Definitely like the way it looks with it off
"technically" it should affect MPG's (I didn't notice anything.) Other than that, when they scan it for codes it will show up saying it's not hooked up. It won't show a light in the dash though.

Reactions: Pantera

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
Thanks mate. Any drawbacks to removing the AGS? Definitely like the way it looks with it off
"technically" it should affect MPG's (I didn't notice anything.) Other than that, when they scan it for codes it will show up saying it's not hooked up. It won't show a light in the dash though.
The AGS system is known to malfunction and get stuck, sometimes in the closed position. The AGS covers both the fmic and rad. So this is quite bad.

Ditch it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Take the shutters off then take off the motor, zip tie it out of the way = no codes thrown. Leave plastic piece on bumper it helps keep my the grill tight. Refresh paint it black. Take off o r cut the shroud. I run without the shutters n shroud in Arizona summer heat no prob. I also have a Cow fmc= must have for low charge temps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I installed my FRPP snorkel the grille was removed and then the active grille shutter slats were removed too.
The AGS frame and motor were left in place and the AGS motor is still hooked up it just has no AGS slats to move now.
It looks better without the AGS slats in front of the radiator and fmic.

·
Registered
395 Posts
you don't have to remove the bumper to install the snorkel on our years. You can just pop out the grill
I have yet to see anyone post enough pictures for me to attempt this.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I ditched all of the shrouding when I put mine in. They're pretty flimsy pieces to cut holes into that won't affect much

·
Registered
593 Posts
They actually really help force the air into the radiator and intercooler. Definitely keep them.

Sent from another galaxy.
Well I don't have a stock intercooler, so that isn't really an option. And for the snorkel, at least my piece was extremely floppy and I think cutting a big rectangle out would do nothing positive for the flimsiness

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
Well I don't have a stock intercooler, so that isn't really an option. And for the snorkel, at least my piece was extremely floppy and I think cutting a big rectangle out would do nothing positive for the flimsiness
The bumper cover helps hold it in place when properly installed. Never had an issue with mine. I need to make a custom shroud since I have a different grill that won't work with the OEM one.

Sent from another galaxy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts