Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone!! I have a focus st. I bought it a month ago it has 125k miles on it. Maintenance up to date, catless down pipe, iridium spark plugs gap at .28, Cobb access port v3, tune stage 1, green filter. A week ago or so it started to smoke only when idle when it reach it’s normal temperature. There’s no leaking coming from the car from what I have check under the car. It’s missing the crankcase breather. And a few weeks ago I spill oil by mistake near the crankcase breather and the turbo. I went to a mechanic near and he told me there’s nothing wrong with the engine. There’s no code thrown and car is running fine. I can hear some misfire sometimes but nothing crazy. The only problem is that when I go to work and I stop at a red light at idle star to smoke.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good day everyone!! I have a focus st. I bought it a month ago it has 125k miles on it. Maintenance up to date, catless down pipe, iridium spark plugs gap at .28, Cobb access port v3, tune stage 1, green filter. A week ago or so it started to smoke only when idle when it reach it’s normal temperature. There’s no leaking coming from the car from what I have check under the car. It’s missing the crankcase breather. And a few weeks ago I spill oil by mistake near the crankcase breather and the turbo. I went to a mechanic near and he told me there’s nothing wrong with the engine. There’s no code thrown and car is running fine. I can hear some misfire sometimes but nothing crazy. The only problem is that when I go to work and I stop at a red light at idle star to smoke.
I replied in the other thread what to do. Are you burning oil? What are your oil levels at right now? Have you checked the turbo seals?

Do a compression test/leakdown test, as this will reveal if your engine is healthy or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replied in the other thread what to do. Are you burning oil? What are your oil levels at right now? Have you checked the turbo seals?

Do a compression test/leakdown test, as this will reveal if your engine is healthy or not.
Second this post, when the seals went out on the turbo in my SRT-4 it would smoke like that, and when I got on the gas. I remember laughing my ass off one time because someone was riding my ass and I gunned it and you couldn't even see the front of their car any more.

I would think if it were something like piston rings or something you wouldn't be seeing it when it's warmed up and everything has expanded it would be something found prior to it warming up, but definitely a good idea to do a compression test, if that mechanic you took it to didn't do that. Seems like they maybe just hooked their scanner up to it and said it was healthy.

Have you changed the oil recently? if not, now would be a good time and take a look in the container you dump it into to see if there is any sparkly bits. This is normally a good first step if you're concerned it's an internal issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah I guess that’s what he did. I’ll take it to another place I know. They are A+ when it comes to do a full diagnostic. I’ll do the oil change on my next day off and see what I found. I might remove the intake and do play a little with the turbo to see if it’s move.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I did check the turbo seals and no leaking. I’m leaning towards the pcv but open for other possibilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts