Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so very strange occurrence today with the ST. started it up and allowed to warm up to head out to lunch. now, i dont recall when i started to hear noise. as i was pressing the clutch, or coincidentally right before i was pressing the clutch. either way, vibrating, humming noise along with smoke coming from the engine bay and into the cabin.
i immediately turned off car and opened up the hood. smoke did not smell like anything burning or sweet smelling. all hoses are in tact, but my first thought was a blown radiator hose because of the sound and smoke, vapor, whatever.
when the smoke cleared, turned on the car and no issue. no smoke. even went to lunch and back without problems. no codes, boost holding up (first thing i checked).
so no clue what happened.
any ideas??
many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
How is your coolant? Did you notice any splatter marks that could be burning off? Perhaps a fitment issue from the downpipe?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
so very strange occurrence today with the ST. started it up and allowed to warm up to head out to lunch. now, i dont recall when i started to hear noise. as i was pressing the clutch, or coincidentally right before i was pressing the clutch. either way, vibrating, humming noise along with smoke coming from the engine bay and into the cabin.
i immediately turned off car and opened up the hood. smoke did not smell like anything burning or sweet smelling. all hoses are in tact, but my first thought was a blown radiator hose because of the sound and smoke, vapor, whatever.
when the smoke cleared, turned on the car and no issue. no smoke. even went to lunch and back without problems. no codes, boost holding up (first thing i checked).
so no clue what happened.
any ideas??
many thanks in advance!
Did you park under anything, hit any puddles, drive over any debris, etc? Maybe some runoff or splatter under the vehicle that burned off your exhaust? Get under and look and see if you see or smell anything if you're really worried about it.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you park under anything, hit any puddles, drive over any debris, etc? Maybe some runoff or splatter under the vehicle that burned off your exhaust? Get under and look and see if you see or smell anything if you're really worried about it.
yup, did that. i'll pull the lower skid plate after work and take a better look. very strange...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so took a look underneath and found this green fluid. but not in a large amount, so it wasnt puddled on the skid plate. what the heck is green fluid in our cars? IMG_4115.jpg IMG_4116.jpg IMG_4117.jpg IMG_4118.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. Here's what I found on mine at around 1300 miles

They claimed that the system was overcharged and that was why it underperformed.
thanks for the info! greatly appreciated!
kinda funny because it appeared to be a pretty big event. i had 3 others in the car ready to go to lunch then all hell broke loose. looked like smoke. even coming into the cabin with a weird sound from the vents. nothing too serious though, so im good. will get the ac checked out asap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts