Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a decent amount of boost. About 10 lbs and up i am burning oil. Its blue smoke. I have the speed by design red kit. Running a 91 full custom tune. And i also have the steeda intake oil catch along with a jbr manifold oil catch. I emptied both out at about 1300 miles. The steeda catch was way more full then it has ever been. So i emptied both catches and they were both a very muddy brown thin liquid. So this was 3 days ago. Today i noticed im still smokin alot, i popped the hood and the steeda catch is full again. Greyish muddy brown liquid. Very concerned and want to fix what ever it is as soon as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
going to state the obvious, that the oil isn't overfilled?
Aftermarket PCV?
Compress test on cylinders?
Detonation correction going crazy from excess oil in cylinder if any is making it through?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If the Steeda (between the valve cover and the cold air intake tube pre-turbo) is filling up fast then you have a lot of blowby.

So unless the PCV valve is leaking under boost or is otherwise stuck open, it's time for a compression test and perhaps a leakdown test.

You may also want to check that none of your catch can hoses are kinked or restricting flow, but really the compression and leakdown tests will tell you if you have a motor issue or not.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
going to state the obvious, that the oil isn't overfilled?
Aftermarket PCV?
Compress test on cylinders?
Detonation correction going crazy from excess oil in cylinder if any is making it through?
Oil is not overfilled.
Stock pcv.
Have not down compression test.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the Steeda (between the valve cover and the cold air intake tube pre-turbo) is filling up fast then you have a lot of blowby.

So unless the PCV valve is leaking under boost or is otherwise stuck open, it's time for a compression test and perhaps a leakdown test.

You may also want to check that none of your catch can hoses are kinked or restricting flow, but really the compression and leakdown tests will tell you if you have a motor issue or not.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Thank you. Its looking like i. Gonna start with a compression test. After that i may be kinda lost in the sauce.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thank you. Its looking like i. Gonna start with a compression test. After that i may be kinda lost in the sauce.

Well of course we all hope for the best, but if it's the start of ringland failure and you catch it early, your block, head and crank will be usable. You'll just need a budget for rods and pistons (and bearings and rings), a little machine shop work, and some incidentals like a head gasket, new PCV plate, etc. (and maybe a rental if she's your daily).

IOW, don't blow your budget on 50-year-old scotch or vintage port getting "lost in the sauce"! :)

Keep us posted?

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well of course we all hope for the best, but if it's the start of ringland failure and you catch it early, your block, head and crank will be usable. You'll just need a budget for rods and pistons (and bearings and rings), a little machine shop work, and some incidentals like a head gasket, new PCV plate, etc. (and maybe a rental if she's your daily).

IOW, don't blow your budget on 50-year-old scotch or vintage port getting "lost in the sauce"! :)

Keep us posted?

All the best,
Mark
What would be a rough estimate if i catch it early?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Wont cost much just time and labor. Hone it, get a rebuild kit and clean the head, block surfaces and put it back together

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could probally get away with most of the labor myself. But i dont know if i can figure out how to hone anything

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
As far as the deck surfaces go. Get a long hand sander and some 600 grit paper and clean both surfaces. As long as you didn't have head gasket problems you will be good without machining the block and head

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as the deck surfaces go. Get a long hand sander and some 600 grit paper and clean both surfaces. As long as you didn't have head gasket problems you will be good without machining the block and head

And will can all this be done witbout pulling the engine. Or does it have to be dropped to do all this.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And whats the worst possible case. I still have power. I dont seem to have any knock. I can still hit full boost (trying not to go into boost at all though)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It can but I would pull it. Timing will be the hardest with it in the car. It's easy to get out if you remove the front crash bar.
Oh man at that point i dont have the tools for that. I would probally have to take it to a shop. Warrenty wouldnt cover it no way. Maybe insurance. But i doubt it

1 - 20 of 65 Posts