Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been noticing small corrections, usually around -.59 mainly in cylinders 1 and 4. The corrections occur when driving normally shifting at about 3k rpm and staying out of boost for the most part- such as on my way to work. Seems to happen on every drive lately. Far as I can tell the car is behaving normally. The only reason I know the corrections are occurring is every once in a while i'll look down at my access port and i'll see these small corrections have been logged at some point.

At WOT i'll see occasional corrections of -2 at most, but much less consistently.

Car is a 2013 with 57k Strat tuned (on 3rd refinement) with FMIC, green filter, colder plugs (just re-gapped to .026 but they were only wider by .001).

I am leaning towards not worrying about this, but curious if anyone has noticed something similar or has any insight.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Corrections say a lot about the gas in your tank. It varies even from tank to tank of the same brand. I have seen as much as -8 on a really bad tank. Put some know octane in and you will see none.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corrections say a lot about the gas in your tank. It varies even from tank to tank of the same brand. I have seen as much as -8 on a really bad tank. Put some know octane in and you will see none.
Thanks, I used to run shell 91 (im in CA) and the car ran like **** with high negative corrections. Best gas ive found locally is 76 believe it or not. Chevron is a close second.

·
Registered
479 Posts
How about Costco?
Thanks, I used to run shell 91 (im in CA) and the car ran like **** with high negative corrections. Best gas ive found locally is 76 believe it or not. Chevron is a close second.
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
Damn, Shell is normally a good quality, where are you located in CA?
When I was working with a tuner on my Silverado SS before the ST, he warned me to steer clear of Shell because he saw first hand how engines didn't run well on it (from the numbers). Maybe they have improved since then, that was over 10 years ago, but I still steer clear of Shell if possible. This was when I lived in San Jose, CA.

Reactions: nickbaldwin86

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I was working with a tuner on my Silverado SS before the ST, he warned me to steer clear of Shell because he saw first hand how engines didn't run well on it (from the numbers). Maybe they have improved since then, that was over 10 years ago, but I still steer clear of Shell if possible. This was when I lived in San Jose, CA.
Interesting, from what I understand is Stations all get their fuels from the same places, and when the truck is filling up they get their "additives" mixed in. I wonder If it had to do with the quality of gas and whatever additives they used(or maybe didnt) at the time. Ive never had issues with Shell or Chevron, or most stations near my house(I am basically on the border of Riverside County and SD county) for that matter. But the Circle K by my work in SD county I swear is passing off pisswater and for some reason charging 30 cents more than any other station near by. Rat bastards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How about Costco?
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
All I get is Costco 93 still waiting to make some money here soon and get Cobb ap with stratified custom

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I always run Sunoco 93 with 2 gallons of their 100 octane mixed in, works perfecto. Also with negative corrections and the oar, I can reset my KAM and my oar goes to -1 with in a maybe 10 minute drive if that. But about the negative corrections, I rarely see any at all, occasionally I will see a .5 degree or something but its rare, but I have noticed that after while if I drive less aggressive for to long I can tell a difference in multiple things like LTFT and STFT and Corrections and Knock, and Ill reset my KAM and itll be great all over again for a few months or so and then Ill reset it again, I always do a reset also at oil changes, I feel like the car can tell and performs better with a fresh lube and high oil pressure from a fresh change.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
stay AWAY FROM SHELL!

I have been told this more times than once, I am now tuning with Adam at TunePlus (Tune+) and he will not even tune a car with Shell in the tank.

Run Chevron, or whomever that has good quality fuel, ie 76, Costco, Chevron. but stay away from Shell and the additives that they put in their fuel. it causes MAJOR issues with our engines.

Like someone else stated. Run Chevron and a bottle of Octane booster, for the next two tanks, data log and see if you get a single neg correction!

Damn, Shell is normally a good quality, where are you located in CA?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stay AWAY FROM SHELL!

I have been told this more times than once, I am now tuning with Adam at TunePlus (Tune+) and he will not even tune a car with Shell in the tank.

Run Chevron, or whomever that has good quality fuel, ie 76, Costco, Chevron. but stay away from Shell and the additives that they put in their fuel. it causes MAJOR issues with our engines.

Like someone else stated. Run Chevron and a bottle of Octane booster, for the next two tanks, data log and see if you get a single neg correction!

What brand octane booster do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
What brand octane booster do you recommend?
personally run the Amsoil booster once in a while when I want to add octane on road trip where I am unsure of the quality of gas.

2nd pick would be gumout octane booster and you can likely find it at most locations local where the Amsoil is oil or a private dealer of course.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The best gas I have found very consistent with no corrections has been Citgo. I have tried everything and this is what I am sticking with. If you have to run meh type gas add in some chevron techron complete fuel system cleaner additive. I cannot say enough good things about that stuff.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seeing as it seems Shell is not liked, does anyone know if this carries over to their E85? I was planning on getting an e30 tune to play with when I get my tune but shell is the only station local to me that carries E85.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Seeing as it seems Shell is not liked, does anyone know if this carries over to their E85? I was planning on getting an e30 tune to play with when I get my tune but shell is the only station local to me that carries E85.
the additives are what is bad and cause issues , if their e85 has those additives then it is also not recommended . if you want e30, you need e85 and 91+ mixed so the 91 will have the bad juice.

in the end ask your tuner! maybe some are ok with shell?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
This has me a bit concerned. My '13 ST3 has just a drop in green filter, Turbosmart BOV, Accessport running a stage 1 ots COBB tune for 93 octane.

I've only fueled up at Shell with their 93. With the tune, my mpg has gone up a little, OAR is always -1, and ignition corrections almost never dip into the negatives. Just today on my 45 minute commute home city/hwy and doing some pulls here and there the most it logged was -.5 and when doing a few spirited take offs and passing a few cars when getting on it making around 12-15lbs of boost it shot up to +4.40 at the highest point. This is one of the few places around where I can get 93 locally so I really don't want to stop using it based on something other than facts, so I am open to any data showing that Shell gas is bad for my car so I can look for an alternative.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts