Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had the recall performed for the evap canister purge valve, where they flash the computer?

My car is now significantly slower and hesitates/bogs. When you gave it throttle before, after a slight amount of turbo lag it would accelerate cleanly and quickly, with torque-steer (and wheelspin through third, if wet). If you floored it on highway in 6th gear, it felt like an automatic kicking down when the boost came on.

Now it just keeps hesitating and bogging and EVENTUALLY accelerates.

A guy at work who used to be a Porsche master tech explained what they probably did - will have to get that explanation again. But at the end of the day, he said they leaned it out so under heavy throttle applications, it is starving for fuel.

This sucks - I feel like they’ve ruined the car. Took away all it’s personality.

Anyone else have this experience?

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
Situations like this is a reason why I never take my car into Ford for service of any kind. Not that it helps you at all, but I ordered the purge valve and changed it myself after other members had Ford do theirs and reported that there was a programming change as part of the recall.

Not to be critical of your driving (but I guess I am), you should never floor your turbo charged vehicle in 6th gear unless you are already traveling at a high rate of speed. Low speed pre-ignition will kill your engine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
From what you mentioned, I think your issue is coming from flooring it in 6th. No one has reported issues with the PCM reflash that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had the recall done. Had the pcm updated and my Purge valve replaced.

No, I don't notice the car hesitating or being slower. The pcm update, to my knowledge, didn't change anything except now the car notifies you via check engine light if the Purge valve has malfunctioned. Nothing more. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I believe that was the extent of it.

And yeah, like everyone said... 6th gear is not for full throttle. Thats bad news.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As everyone said 6th is not for boost unless your well above 4k rpm to be safe. Secondly I had the update done and uninstalled my accessport prior to taking it in, all they do is what's already been said, check your fuel tank for deformation replace if needed, check the Purge valve replace if needed, and do a quick flash that makes the ecu monitor a set of already existing parameters that are effected by a failing Purge valve that way if it ever happens the CEL will be thrown from now on. They don't change anything per say, are you sure this isnt in your head? What are your mods? Tuned?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All: I fully understand about detonation - was using for illustration purposes. In any event and after some more exploration, it seems like rhe car is pulling timing as boost builds or possibly is bypassing, like there’s an obstruction (they DID mess with the charge tube). Opened a case with Ford and it’s going back Monday. Will post if they find something.

Car is stock except for symposer delete.
Problem not in head - it’s pretty dramatic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you guys know the content of the flash? I am an engineer at an aerospace manufacturer and when we make revisions to drawings, documents or software for one reason, we usually fold some other things in also, since it’s a convenient time to do so. It’s not impossible that there was something else added, with unintended consequences...

BTW: Flooring in 6th when already going 70-80 mph is ok to do. I wouldn’t and don’t hold it there for an extended period of time, but for 5-10 seconds and above 2500 rpm, it’s fine.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
How do you guys know the content of the flash? I am an engineer at an aerospace manufacturer and when we make revisions to drawings, documents or software for one reason, we usually fold some other things in also, since it’s a convenient time to do so. It’s not impossible that there was something else added, with unintended consequences...

BTW: Flooring in 6th when already going 70-80 mph is ok to do. I wouldn’t and don’t hold it there for an extended period of time, but for 5-10 seconds and above 2500 rpm, it’s fine.

Even above 2500 rpm i wouldn't floor in 6th gear. If I want to get the 80 quick I'm in third. Your flooring it to go faster why not downshift. I've been 110 and 4th.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t generally, but I know how it feels and since that’s the worst case with respect to my problem, I was using it as a baseline comparison.

Does anyone have any useful input on the actual issue, as appose to accelerating in 6th gear?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Does anyone have any useful input on the actual issue, as appose to accelerating in 6th gear?
Probably not.

Sounds like something is screwed up with your car and I'd wager it's not related to the recall pcm update. Do post back on Monday when they give you an idea what's up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd look into an OBD scanner and use an app like Forscan (or any app that will give Diagnostics). If its hesitating badly, and feels like it's in like mode, it could be a number of things (e.g. plug gaps, cracked cylinder, cracked ringland, bad o2 sensor on the downpipe).

Impossible to tell without diag. Data, and I'm doubting you'll want to invest in an accessport (approx. $500) if you're still stock at the moment and not planning on tuning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are no codes - checked that even though light not on.

Not in limp mode - drives ok-ish unless a lot of boost is called for.

It is possible there is a leak somewhere in the charge pipe, even though it looks ok. I should have mentioned that the reason the car was at the stealership to begin with was that I had a coolant leak at the oil-heater. One of the charge-pipe clamps had been put on clocked incorrectly by the factory and the screw actually wore through the body of the heater. So in replacing the oil-heater they DEFINITELY were messing with the charge-pipe.

My experience is that when a problem magically appears after something was messed with, it’s usually that thing. In this case, however, there was this and also the purge valve/flash, either of which could cause the problem...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it looks like it was door number B:

The PCM flash. The tech performed what he called ‘reset to factory settings’. He didn’t think this would work because he said this also would include any updates since that time, however my argument was that since the repair/flash was at dealer discretion based on what they found during inspection, perhaps that part was separate. In any event, he said the difference is like night and day. I won’t know for sure until I pick it up, but it sounds good...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

The PCM flash. The tech performed what he called ‘reset to factory settings’. He didn’t think this would work because he said this also would include any updates since that time, however my argument was that since the repair/flash was at dealer discretion based on what they found during inspection, perhaps that part was separate. In any event, he said the difference is like night and day. I won’t know for sure until I pick it up, but it sounds good...
The flash was not optional/pending an inspection. The recall was to perform the flash on all Focuses and then the inspection was to see if the purge valve was faulty which could in turn damage the gas tank in which case both of those things would be replaced.

Whatever they're doing (and god only knows), I hope it's solved your issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked it up and drove home. I THINK my car is feex. Too much traffic to tell if 100% as was... He told me 'like night and day', but he entered 'slight power loss' in their system. I guess that's a CYA thing, but feeling it now, I think it was seriously down about 100 HP. In any event, it might be a good idea to NOT have them flash for purge-valve...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Picked it up and drove home. I THINK my car is feex. Too much traffic to tell if 100% as was... He told me 'like night and day', but he entered 'slight power loss' in their system. I guess that's a CYA thing, but feeling it now, I think it was seriously down about 100 HP. In any event, it might be a good idea to NOT have them flash for purge-valve...
Maybe your engineer who did the initial flash just didnt care enough to do it right, my thoughts. I've flashed the update with my FRPP tune, no issues.

Ford techs dont put value in warranty work, an unfortunate side effect of their current compensation system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dunno. I asked that question of the guy who ‘fixed’ it and also of my ex-Porsche tech buddy and they both said it’s not possible to flash the computer incorrectly. It either completes or it doesn’t and if it doesn’t, the car won’t start or run. The stealership guy wasn’t able to say if it was the fact that it’s an ST and maybe something different because they very rarely see one. He didn’t even know what it was supposed to drive like and was surprised how quick it was, once he got it running right...

I’m very leery of any PCM updates in general and if I knew they were going to do that to begin with, I would have said to not...

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts

This is exactly what I was referring to in my first post; they can "flash" your car to install updates any time you let them work on your car. Even if you tell them you have an aftermarket tune they will over write it and screw up your car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts