Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'll preface by saying that I came from a MK6 GTI, which was also FBO with some extra little things here and there. Car was a lot of fun. Too much fun..? This was the last of my Volkswagen:
IMG_5968.JPG

TL;DR at the bottom of this post

After a bit of time haggling with insurance about payouts and getting my "go fast" parts out of my car - which they never let me, I scooped up my 2013 TS ST3 from auction:

In love with this color, and eager to make the car go faster, I quickly sold my AP3 from my Volkswagen and picked up an AP2 for the Focus thinking I could spare a couple bucks. That was dumb. I ended up selling the AP probably 2 months later due to Cobb cutting support and me wanting to custom tune the car. I ended up getting an AP3 from a forum member for $350.

IMG_0451.JPG

Obligatory gas picture. In love with the rear-end of this car...The MK6 always looked so skinny to me, so this was a nice view.

Move out day! The Focus fit all my stuff...which is quite a bit. If you look close enough you can see the Euro plate I was running on my GTI lol.

Anyways, onto the goodies!! When I bought car, it already had a Steeda Sound Symposer delete, a Steeda Cold Air Intake (I thought...), and a BOV.
I have never been super mechanically inclined, but I thought this would be a perfect chance to learn some stuff. It didn't take me long to start modding. After reading some decent reviews, I picked up the 3.5' Depo "Son of a Beast" Intercooler.

Me getting started:

All finished up!

Didn't put the bumper back on just in case I messed something up:

I was happy with the IC and how it performed in the Denver summer heat, so I kept it and put the bumper back on that night.

Windows tinted to 15% all the way around:

Next thing that was installed was a Catless Megan Racing Downpipe. It was around $150. I thought to myself, why not? Worst is it doesn't fit. I either return it or I'm out $150. Weirdly enough, it fit pretty well!

The forum only lets me attach 10 images per post...I guess ill attach some more to the thread. Heres a full list of mods for people who are tired of my stories and pictures, and a price breakdown. Keep in mind I did all the work myself as well, so I paid 0 on installs

• Modifications:
  • Cobb Filter - Came with car
  • Cobb Accessport V3 - $350
  • BOV (unkown brand) - Came with car
  • Steeda Sound Symposer Delete - Came with car
  • Megan Racing Catless downpipe - $150
  • Depo 3.5' "Son of a Beast Intercooler" - $323 (used coupon)
  • Depo Charge pipes - $210 (used coupon)
  • Torque Solution RMM - $110
  • Steeda intake inlet - $147
  • NGK Iridiums - 1 step colder - $45
  • Resonator Delete - $75
  • Stratified Stage 3 E30 flash tune - with extreme riceboy crackles $125 ($100 for E30 tune, $10 for loud crackles, extra $15 for upgrading to extreme crackles.)
  • Slotted and drilled front rotors - Came with car
  • DIY wing riser $15
The total for all my go fast parts, and tuning, is $1,550, which is well below any stage 3 "kit" I've seen. I am very happy with the car; its quick - and I haven't encountered any problems that I didn't cause myself. I've been driving on this setup for almost 15k miles now and its been a blast! If you can get over the fact of not having name brand parts, and you are willing to do the work yourself, I would 100% recommend you take a route such as this!

The car as it sits today:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice build so far! I have a few of the same parts on my car, Depo intercooler, Torque Solution RMM. A word of advice though, not too long after I went FBO and tuned for E30, my RMM started to deteriorate. Just something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice build so far! I have a few of the same parts on my car, Depo intercooler, Torque Solution RMM. A word of advice though, not too long after I went FBO and tuned for E30, my RMM started to deteriorate. Just something to keep an eye on.

Weird...I’ll check once I’m under there again. Thank you!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well lots of updates. I wish more people would actually see this lol. Bought a GT2871R super core from a forum member. Bought a few more parts these last two weeks:

-V band adapter for exhaust side of the turbo to my downpipe
-HKS BOV with 6 inch BOV flange pipe. I decided to go this route so I didn't have to weld anything onto my charge pipes.
-Cobb sound symposer delete since my Steeda delete doesn't have a vacuum line tap
-ATP block off plate so I can try the new BOV system out on the stock turbo (and so I can do it myself and save money on the turbo install.)
-New Oil/Water lines

The turbo is being installed in 3 weeks. Mint Performance in Denver is fabricating the actual turbo/exhaust manifold for me and installing it as well. I'll post pictures of everything when I get a chance!

As for tuning, I'm deciding between JST Performance and Panda Motorworks. Heard great things about them both so I'm just not sure yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,455 Posts
Well lots of updates. I wish more people would actually see this lol. Bought a GT2871R super core from a forum member. Bought a few more parts these last two weeks:

-HKS BOV with 6 inch BOV flange pipe. I decided to go this route so I didn't have to weld anything onto my charge pipes.
-Cobb sound symposer delete since my Steeda delete doesn't have a vacuum line tap
-ATP block off plate so I can try the new BOV system out on the stock turbo (and so I can do it myself and save money on the turbo install.)
-New Oil/Water lines

The turbo is being installed in 3 weeks. Mint Performance in Denver is fabricating the actual turbo/exhaust manifold for me and installing it as well. I'll post pictures of everything when I get a chance!

As for tuning, I'm deciding between JST Performance and Panda Motorworks. Heard great things about them both so I'm just not sure yet.
I'd go JST over Panda, anyday.

Get some pics up already!! Lol

Whats your plan for aux fuel? Or just going 350whp abd quits?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Whats your plan for aux fuel? Or just going 350whp abd quits?
I'm kinda curious to see how far I can take it without aux fuel. One of the reasons I got an ST was because of a guy here who took his GTX2867R to 418whp without aux fuel.

If there is actually more power to be made after I finish tuning it and it's due to fueling, I would like to just run a water/meth kit. I'll put some pictures up now too lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The GT2871R:

HKS BOV Mounted into an eBay 2.5' BOV flange pipe. Also ran the vacuum lines already so just need to plug it in to the new sound symposer.

While we're here, I <3 working at Grease Monkey

Excuse the license plate...lol

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wth is with your license plate youve gotta live in the middle of nowhere. That reminds of a farm plate.

·
Super Moderator
7,455 Posts

-New Oil/Water lines

Whats your plan for aux fuel? Or just going 350whp abd quits
I'm kinda curious to see how far I can take it without aux fuel. One of the reasons I got an ST was because of a guy here who took his GTX2867R to 418whp without aux fuel.

If there is actually more power to be made after I finish tuning it and it's due to fueling, I would like to just run a water/meth kit. I'll put some pictures up now too lol.
418whp? Had to be on ethanol. Octane limitations are a real *****. I'm on a GTX3076r Gen 2, with port injection on 93 pump, and Im lucky to get into the 400whp range.

Stock fueling on pump gas runs out of steam around 350whp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Got all new oil/water lines for the new turbo. Now I just need my V band adapter!

Cars going in the shop in 3 weeks for the manifold fabrication and the install.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I subbed, i like where this is going, not the same old boring stuff.
Haha yeah, I wanted to do something different then everyone else. I thought about going hybrid turbo for a while, but after seeing quite a bit of failure with nearly all of them, I was stuck between going big turbo or selling my Focus and getting an A3.

Once I saw this super-core on the forum I decided that it was worth a shot! But yeah, I do have a lot of worries about the install, just because I haven't read anything about someone doing it this way before. I'm confident in the shop that's installing it and that they'll be able to work out anything that comes up. I think I'm just worried since this is my first time piecing together a turbo kit, I just don't want to forget anything haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No updates as of now, installing the BOV tomorrow. I'll take pictures of the install and however we decide to end up mounting it in the charge system.

Videos of new sound too maybe if we don't fail lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to install the bov, got everything installed but the BOV lol. Here’s progress pics

Old steeda symposer delete vs new Cobb delete

Cobb symposer delete installed

Wheel off for DV block off plate - yes I used a widows jack don’t judge me

Stock BPV. This was a PITA to get out of the car..

Took like an hour and a half but got it out

ATP blockoff plate installed

After this, I tried setting the new bov anywhere in the charge system and there wasn’t really anywhere it would fit super well. I’m gonna have my shop weld the bov pipe into my charge pipe tomorrow, so for now the car will sit lol.

Sorry this was so vague I’m typing this off my iPhone at work, once it gets welded tomorrow I’ll update with finished pictures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updates!

Ended up getting my BOV pipe welded into my charge pipe. Had to find a part of the charge pipe that would allow enough room for the BOV to sit.

Only $100! Not bad!

View from the engine bay (colorful zip-ties for keeping the vacuum lines in order):

BOV/charge pipe sitting in place (view from under car):

Charge pipe view from bottom:

Anyways, it sounds badass and I'm excited cause theres nothing left to do before the big turbo install!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I will sub to this. Seems exciting lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts