Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Financially behind at the moment so can't order stuff with the black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, but currently I just need to upgrade my FMIC and get a nice downpipe and I'm Stage 3. Then I'll get a flash tune update to top it all off and have everything running efficiently. The inner car guy in me wants to rush and order this stuff asap because I feel it'll make a big difference, but really though...how much of a difference will it make? Strat 93 tune if you can't read my sig.

Raced a modded Civic SI 8th gen (non-turbo) and beat him by a half a car at best from 40mph which I posted about in the Focus ST vs Competition sub-forum. Which has me a little bummed that I didn't walk him and makes me just want to get Stage 3 and sit pretty with a nice quick car and save money to pay the car off and then go BT.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Financially behind at the moment so can't order stuff with the black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, but currently I just need to upgrade my FMIC and get a nice downpipe and I'm Stage 3. Then I'll get a flash tune update to top it all off and have everything running efficiently. The inner car guy in me wants to rush and order this stuff asap because I feel it'll make a big difference, but really though...how much of a difference will it make? Strat 93 tune if you can't read my sig.

Raced a modded Civic SI 8th gen (non-turbo) and beat him by a half a car at best from 40mph which I posted about in the Focus ST vs Competition sub-forum. Which has me a little bummed that I didn't walk him and makes me just want to get Stage 3 and sit pretty with a nice quick car and save money to pay the car off and then go BT.
How modified was he? Ive raced modded si easily pushing over 200 whp and ive put 2 or 3 cars on them. And thats my car being stock. Im using Tapatalk app so i cant see your sig. Right now i have on a boomba bov, 1 step colder plugs, resonator delete and e30 tune. So litterly no performance bolt ons and the vdyno consistently shows me making 264-265 whp. My car made 231whp stock thats 33-35 whp on a tune. If your tight on money e30 is the way to go for that extra hp without breaking the bank.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How modified was he? Ive raced modded si easily pushing over 200 whp and ive put 2 or 3 cars on them. And thats my car being stock. Im using Tapatalk app so i cant see your sig. Right now i have on a boomba bov, 1 step colder plugs, resonator delete and e30 tune. So litterly no performance bolt ons and the vdyno consistently shows me making 264-265 whp. My car made 231whp stock thats 33-35 whp on a tune. If your tight on money e30 is the way to go for that extra hp without breaking the bank.

e30 is not available in my area unless I drive 40 miles. Impractical for the gain in my case unfortunately.

Here is the copy and paste from what he messaged me:

Intake header test pipe catback
Slightly bigger throttle body
High flow fuel rail
Solid torque mounts
And Tuner
Shifter bushings
Light weight clutch and flywheel setup.

And a few random coolant hoses deleted or moved to keep intake Temps down

Also, his car only weighs in at 2820.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Unfortunately the FMIC and DP you want will net you more consistent runs and about 10 more whp, that's it. e30 will get you another ~20whp on the stock turbo and that's all she's got.

You'll need the FMIC and DP for the BT anyway so you can do it in stages or all at once, your choice really.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the FMIC and DP you want will net you more consistent runs and about 10 more whp, that's it. e30 will get you another ~20whp on the stock turbo and that's all she's got.

You'll need the FMIC and DP for the BT anyway so you can do it in stages or all at once, your choice really.
I've decided to throw in the throttle body spacer as well as a winter upgrade. That 6hp and 11ft/lb of tq is 6hp and 11ft/lb of tq I didn't have lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My FoST is stage 3. Minus the exhaust. And I beat a friend of mine with an 8th gen Si. Not by much, he was right next to me but I consistently pull ahead. He has a kraftwerks supercharger and I'm not sure what other mods. But according to his tuner he's only making around 240 WTQ and around 309 WHP. I believe that's why I always pull ahead. No real way to see how much power our cars are making. I live on maui and there's no shops around here with Dynos. I even beat a 2016 Stage 2 WRX. Both races are rolling 20 then 30 MPH. Mostly because I refuse to launch my ST. I know I'll break something. From stock to stage 3 is definitely worth every penny! Although I bought all my parts used here on the forums. I'm only running Stratified's OTS 92 tune. I'm pretty sure I'll see a little more power when I finally get a custom tune.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
e30 is really easy to mix by combining 93 and e85(testing the e85 to see if its actually e85 and compensating if its between e70-85)

https://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
Not sure who this was directed at, but as I said earlier it isn't available to me unfortunately unless I drive 40 miles to go and get it. Pretty impractical and inconvenient for me :( Which is a huge bummer.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Not sure who this was directed at, but as I said earlier it isn't available to me unfortunately unless I drive 40 miles to go and get it. Pretty impractical and inconvenient for me :( Which is a huge bummer.
oh sorry I thought you just couldn't get e30 sorry

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know where you can get a down pipe that does not cost over 424.99$ :smile:
I'll probably get a Depo Catless pipe over winter since they are quite low priced. ;)

oh sorry I thought you just couldn't get e30 sorry
And I only have 87, 91, and 93 available to me...so I run exclusively 93 and got tuned for it...and even still I have like 3 out of 12 stations I can go to and get reliably good fuel on my daily 60 mile radius to and from work. Sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yeah 93 is a little hard to find here, 2/3 gas stations have 91 as premium and want to charge the same price others do for 93, I never get that crap.

Slightly off topic, why do most people do e30 tunes and not e85? what is the reasoning, I never see any ST's tuned for e85 here on the boards.

Reactions: Zeek

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah 93 is a little hard to find here, 2/3 gas stations have 91 as premium and want to charge the same price others do for 93, I never get that crap.

Slightly off topic, why do most people do e30 tunes and not e85? what is the reasoning, I never see any ST's tuned for e85 here on the boards.
You make an e30 tune by putting 3 gallons of E85 into your tank of 93..right?

·
Registered
408 Posts

I run e30 on my st and love it. Now as to why not just run full e85 is a good question. Ive read a couple of threads of people arguing about lol. When i had my 06 si i ran pure e85 and my crx before that as well. The only thing that needed upgrading was the fuel pump and on the older cars higher capacity fuel injectors to support the higher fuel demand. Are ran e85 for over a year, the only thing that went bad on both cars and its something that we knew was going to go bad was the fuel level unit. So my fuel guage never worked and this happened always a month into using e85. So we would just calculate how much fuel we had.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
You make an e30 tune by putting 3 gallons of E85 into your tank of 93..right?
essentially yeah, give or take. ends up like 97 octane or something.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Stage 3 isn't what it is all cracked up to be.... I don't think you will "walk" him if you go stage 3. You will have spent over $1000 and you will gain little, which you will have to sell because the downpipe will not work with the big turbo. and only if you buy a large enough FMIC to support the big turbo will it be enough. just my thought, if you plan to go BT. spend all the "extra" money on paying off the car, then go BT.

Going big turbo you will need to spend about triple but you will then be able to "walk" him. Which at that point he will be reluctant to race because the big turbo blah blah blah...

I went from stage 1 to 2 to 3... the jumps are VERY small and really mostly in your head. look at the charts for 0-60 or 1/4 mile for each stage tune... it isn't drastic by any means. not as if stage 3 takes a second off.

·
Registered
830 Posts

You need aux fueling to run straight e85. Our hpfp can push enough fuel for straight e85 so most people do an e30 mix.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stage 3 isn't what it is all cracked up to be.... I don't think you will "walk" him if you go stage 3. You will have spent over $1000 and you will gain little, which you will have to sell because the downpipe will not work with the big turbo. and only if you buy a large enough FMIC to support the big turbo will it be enough. just my thought, if you plan to go BT. spend all the "extra" money on paying off the car, then go BT.

Going big turbo you will need to spend about triple but you will then be able to "walk" him. Which at that point he will be reluctant to race because the big turbo blah blah blah...

I went from stage 1 to 2 to 3... the jumps are VERY small and really mostly in your head. look at the charts for 0-60 or 1/4 mile for each stage tune... it isn't drastic by any means. not as if stage 3 takes a second off.
I imagine any 3.5"+ FMIC is fine for BT, correct? My mindset is to plan ahead and get to "stage 3" with as many parts as I can keep for future usage with BT should that finally happen.

And I wasn't aware that certain DP's don't work with BTs?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I imagine any 3.5"+ FMIC is fine for BT, correct? My mindset is to plan ahead and get to "stage 3" with as many parts as I can keep for future usage with BT should that finally happen.

And I wasn't aware that certain DP's don't work with BTs?
If your talking about EFR turbos then no there's only a few that will fit. Any other aftermarket downpipe will work with a Garrett GTX turbo.

Depending on your goals, a 3.5" FMIC is fine for most people. Someone on here about 4 months ago had to buy a bigger intercooler because it ran out of efficiency but that was at 450whp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your talking about EFR turbos then no there's only a few that will fit. Any other aftermarket downpipe will work with a Garrett GTX turbo.

Depending on your goals, a 3.5" FMIC is fine for most people. Someone on here about 4 months ago had to buy a bigger intercooler because it ran out of efficiency but that was at 450whp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't done enough reading up on BT yet to know the main EFR vs GTX decision. That'll be a future research I'm sure :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts