Ford Focus ST Forum banner
261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Having issues with my dash cam sometimes turning on and sometimes not turning on. I think its a ground issue with that spot. Haven't had time to mess with it yet though.

Thanks for the write up though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need 2 Circuits

Hi I need 2 circuits for my dash cam battery and ignition.. Which 2 fuse should I use.. I take it that fuse 85 is ignition so I need a constant 12v fuse..Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
My cam turns off as soon as I turn the car off. I don't like that cause it has a auto off feature and motion detection.. Plus it keeps re setting my time and date.. Think I need to find a constant 12 volt fuse as well..

EDIT: Swapped to fuse 61. 20 amp fuse 4th from bottom on left side. Its cig lighter fuse. Seems to work much better. Will find out for sure when I drive to work in the morning.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nicely done...

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
So any other suggestions besides 61 as best fuse for always on? 20amps is plenty for a dash cam, but does it really stay on until dash cam voltage shutoff kicks in? I'll have to try by leaving it plugged into center console lighter overnight I guess.

Edit: just saw in let's chat dash cam thread 65 was recommended for constant power. And confirmed 12v console lighter does not stay on indefinitely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I read up on this thread before I bought my Garmin Dash Cam, i'm having issues with a true "ignition on" power source, as a lot of the circuits, including the recommended ones in this thread seem to be part of the car sleep/wake more than car running/not-running.

I used #66 for constant power (driver door lock), the switched ignition power tap is proving difficult

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the switched ignition power tap is proving difficult
so I added a relay at the BCM behind the glove box to turn on three of my accessories (dash cam, radar detector, and my ambient lighting system), to trigger this relay, I used the cars ACC sense wire that shows 12v any time the car is turned on (running or not) and shuts off as soon you you press the start/stop button. and yes, regardless of what the current draw is on the device that you are installing, I always recommend using a relay as the cars ACC wire is very thing and low current and I wouldn't want to over draw it.

on my 2015, this wire is a blue wire in connector B (brown 60 pin connector, farthest left in the top row) in pin 41.

here is my source material.

Text Document Paper Font Line

and here is a diagram (it IS NOT fully correct for our cars, it is for a standard key manual focus, NOT a PTS) that you can use to see which is connector "B" and which pin in that connector is #41
Floor plan Text Technical drawing Diagram Plan

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
What other fuses operate like the cigarette lighter fuse? What I mean is when I have my dash cam plugged into the cigarette lighter it will power up as soon as the doors open or I unlock the car. I tried to tap into that fuse (61 I think) but the add a fuse thing I bought wouldn't fit because of the plastic on the left side of the fuse box. So I ended up tapping into the normal 85 slot which only turns on when the key is in the "on" position.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a rearview mirror with Homelink controls so I can control my garage door, it needed constant and switched.

Also bought a Garmin Dash Cam 55, and out of the box only needs switched, but I got the "parking camera" kit and that also needed constant power.

I ended up using two of these: http://a.co/fBI8pIH and as for locations tapped:

- F66 : Driver Door Lock -> Constant power
- F87 : Heated Steering Wheel -> Switched

the switched lead does seem to power on when the car is "woken up" but it's a good enough source of power that I'm happy with how it works.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Windshield Car Auto part

Windshield Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Glass

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I bought a rearview mirror with Homelink controls so I can control my garage door, it needed constant and switched.

Also bought a Garmin Dash Cam 55, and out of the box only needs switched, but I got the "parking camera" kit and that also needed constant power.

I ended up using two of these: http://a.co/fBI8pIH and as for locations tapped:

- F66 : Driver Door Lock -> Constant power
- F87 : Heated Steering Wheel -> Switched

the switched lead does seem to power on when the car is "woken up" but it's a good enough source of power that I'm happy with how it works.

Thanks for the info, I used an "add-a-fuse" that looks identical to the one you linked to. I tried to use the cigarette lighter fuse but the plastic wouldn't clear the fuse housing plastic.

Sounds like I will have to try the 87 slot though. From what you described it operates more like the cigarette lighter power supply.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
@MorningZ so I don't have an 87 slot. No metal contacts. The missing one right now was where I had my add a fuse.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i'm very surprised that it doesn't at least have a contact point on the supply side...

normally the supply side is one huge buss bar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just installed the A119s dash cam using the amazon install kit, very simple ... less than 20 minute install. Thanks everyone for your input in this thread ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Valentine RD has a vampire clip intended to be attached to the wiring in the overhead light/sunroof module. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My Valentine RD has a vampire clip intended to be attached to the wiring in the overhead light/sunroof module. Has anyone tried this?
I refuse to use those, usually when they are used, as they are inserted, they tend to cut through some of the wire being tapped into. sometime they cut through MOST of the wire being tapped into.

if you want to tap into a circuit, strip back the insulation of the wire being tapped into and wrap the new wire into it and re insulate with electrical tap.

I only use this method, with the addition of solder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know which wire in the overhead module to tap into? As I have experimented with different wires up there, I am either getting too little power, or accidentally operating the sunroof.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I don't know about that wire at the overhead module.

what I did was add a relay to power the 3 accessories I installed. this relay powers up my dash cam, radar detector and my custom ambient lighting system. I used an ignition wire at the BCM to trigger my relay. this Ign sense wire was a Blue wire, in the green 20 pin connector (plug "D") at pin #9 (this wiring info is for a 2015, other years may be different.)

the power feed for the relay was tapped into the BCM's main power feed, and both the relay and all of the accessories were grounded at one of the bolts for the airbag bracket.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Engine

Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Electrical wiring

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I wonder how it would be to hard wire a phone line "power cable" from my Bell Pro 200 on my 2018 ST1? Would these instructions still apply? Fuse 85 is for heated steering wheel on my 2018, but I don't have that option.

261 - 280 of 288 Posts